11 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 11 August 2009 - 21:38

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/Media/relea...6/release.shtml

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has found evidence of a high-speed collision between two burgeoning planets around a young star.[....]

Edit: I smell idea for superweapon <>

Edited by Sargeant Rho, 11 August 2009 - 21:41.

#2 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 21:52

A giant telescope that takes nude pictures of the enemy commander's wife?

But yeah, two crashing planets... pretty awesome.

(You'll see those two planets had highly advanced alien societies with the technology to solve all problems on Earth. Our bad luck does stuff like that.)

Edited by Ixonoclast, 11 August 2009 - 21:53.

Posted Image

#3 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:19

It is thought that the earth crashed into another planet too, and the remains formed the moon.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#4 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:40

View PostCodeCat, on 11 Aug 2009, 23:19, said:

It is thought that the earth crashed into another planet too, and the remains formed the moon.

Funny you say that because I was just watching a documentary about it. :)
Posted Image

#5 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:32

a Mars sized planet crashed into the Earth, the Earth didn't crash into a planet, a planet crashed into it :)

#6 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:10

View PostSargeant Rho, on 11 Aug 2009, 23:32, said:

a Mars sized planet crashed into the Earth, the Earth didn't crash into a planet, a planet crashed into it :)

It's a "6 one, half-dozen the other" sort of thing really. In other words, there's two ways to look at it.
Posted Image

#7 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:56

Whats the point of such a superweapon anyway?

USA: "Post tits or we destroy you!"

X: "How can you possibly do that? Our shield protect us against missiles! Noooo, you're not gonna do....that!

USA: "Yeeees muhahahaha! We're going to flood your country with IMMIGRANTS!"

X: "oooh, peeev we thought you where going to smash a planet into us!"

USA: "no! what kind of psycho would do that? We would destroy our selves as well!"

See?! SEE!?!

Guns might be bad kids, but planets are VERY BAD!

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#8 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:04

View PostSargeant Rho, on 12 Aug 2009, 4:32, said:

So you say universe rotating around earth and earth is the center of the universe and earth can't butt another planet ?! :)

I assume this event happened recently ?! or still its about catching the light of something which happened thousands or millions of years before ? I readed this elsewhere and it says it happened recently, how so ? I am a bit confused on this.

#9 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:02

View PostTurian, on 12 Aug 2009, 8:04, said:

View PostSargeant Rho, on 12 Aug 2009, 4:32, said:

So you say universe rotating around earth and earth is the center of the universe and earth can't butt another planet ?! :)

I assume this event happened recently ?! or still its about catching the light of something which happened thousands or millions of years before ? I readed this elsewhere and it says it happened recently, how so ? I am a bit confused on this.

During the formation of the solar system you get a disc of spinning matter, centred on the sun (while still moving about galactic centre). Gravity forms this into clumps, there were two large clumps near the Earth's orbit, they gathered up most of the matter until they became gravitationally attracted to each other and crashed. After the crash the smaller lump left a large chunk of its mass on the Earth and became the moon. Over time the lumps were worn into the rough spheres you see today.

Moonlight is done by reflection from the sun just like it always was.

#10 Erik

Feels green.

• Project Leader
  • 978 posts
  • Projects: ZH: Frontlines

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:24

Everything you see outside of our solar system has happened a loooong time ago (Perhaps this planet now has a moon and also developed humans that now see the light of our planets collision lol). The furter away something is the further it happened in the past.

#11 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:35

There is no past, there is no time.

The further away something is, the more it moved.
Posted Image

#12 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:54

View PostIxonoclast, on 12 Aug 2009, 12:35, said:

There is no past, there is no time.

I knew you would say that. :)
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users