Far Future Warfare

3 replies to this topic

#1 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 20:04

I'm working on a mod set around 2070.

The concept of the mod is basically to keep everything as realistic as possible. Now most scifi mods set after 2050 are full with random "handwavium" nonsense, and most pre-2050 scifi mods that ARE realistic feature experimental stuff we have now, like lasers and railguns.

But what can we expect in 2070? Realistically? And don't just look at weapons, look at engineering too.

I'm especially interested in point defence systems, lasers, railguns, EMP and anti-EMP measures, alternative engines and powerplants, repair systems, plasma weapons (either as a hitech flamethrower or as a encapsulated grenade), robots, "superweapons", hover technology (ionocrafts?), power armour and vehicle armour.

And remember, realism. If I need handwavium, I can come up with that myself. :)
Posted Image

#2 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 22:27

You'd probably do well to give the Discovery Channel series "Future Weapons" a view. They're about hand weapons, aircraft, vehicles and tools that are either in development or newly fielded.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 19 August 2009 - 22:29

I'd forget about plasma and any non aircraft hovering things, for a start.

#4 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 22:36

Guns aren't exactly complex, but the propelling of large lumps of metal into flesh is still a very efficient way of killing someone.

I'd look at improving accuracy and remote operated weapons tbh. We've got to the point where the equipment is now limited by the users and not the reverse to the solution is to remove the users.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users