Bill Gates plans to stop Hurricanes

2 replies to this topic

#1 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 28 August 2009 - 22:33

Hurricane is pretty much a synonym for an unstoppable force. However, as reported in this article, there actually exists an initiative to control the forces behind their creation. It seems Gates and a number of scientist partnered and filed a patent application in the US that apparently involves a network of barges siphoning out cold water from the ocean's depths and replacing the warm surface water in the area where the storm is incubating. The greatest problem is the storm's unpredictability and progression. It takes 2-3 days for a hurricane to 'rev-up' which would require the barges to be actually deployed in the area beforehand. Months beforehand in fact.

Now, I'm no expert on this, but the physics behind it seem rather simple - in theory this could even work.The only problem is the small matter of investment. This would cost a lot of money (somewhere in the untold billions I presume), but then again so does doing nothing. Katrina dealt an estimated over 90 billion $ in damage. And it can only go up from that.

What do you think? Is this possible, is it wise?

Edited by Z_mann, 28 August 2009 - 22:35.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

#2 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 23:01

I'd rather see him go save the rainforest instead of worrying about the accidental losses of lives due to some Hurricane.

Ridiculous.
Posted Image

#3 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 23:08

Modify oceanic upwelling? You have to be having a laugh. They do realise just how much CO2 is stored in the oceans right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users