Ring transports, Stargate, and all that stuff.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:40

I've been wondering on how the technologies in different sci-fi series, mostly Stargate, could actually work.

Firstly there would be the ring transport.
From what I could gather, the Ring Transport is basically a Stargate, but smaller, and for short distances only. The light could be a small wormhole, running from the top to the bottom, and then from the bottom to the top again at the destination: Basically as if you took a Stargate, and first dropped it on the ground, and then took the destination stargate, and lift it off the ground again. Or does the Ring transport actually desintegrate, transport,and reintegrate the teleported matter?

Then the Stargate itself.
I think it concentrates energy between itself, and the destination, dargging the destination to itself, instead of brining you to the destination, it brings the destination to you, but at the same time, it does not. The display of the wormhole the stargate creates is pretty big bullshit. All you'd see would be a hugely compressed space, through which you can reach your destination basically instantly. And also see everything at the destination. But in the series it is described as a teleporter. It desintegrates matter at its event horizon, send the information to the destination, and reintegrates it.

Next I would like to ponder the Hyperdrive.
Dauth, could you do this, I am not that familiar with the 8 other dimensions other than ours...
But I think the Hyperdrive rips a hole into spacetime, once again by concentrating huge ammounts of energy at a single point. Then through that rift, the ship slips into another dimension/Hyperpace. Repeat at the destination, but the problem would be, slipping not into another dimension.

Uhm...what else do we have..oh right, the force shields.
Actually, can anybody explain me what a forceshield really is? So far, I think it is not actually an energy field, but more a material barrier, of subatomic particles, maybe protons? Suspended in a certain arrangement perhaps by a magnetic field or so, or maybe a bubble of some other kind of energy. That's why shields can be "damaged" I guess, or does any of you know any kind of energy that can have the properties of a material barrier?

Is there anything else? Ancient Drones.
The Tau'Ri have no idea whatsoever how to manufacture them, but I also wonder what they actually are. From what I could gather ingame, they are using a sort of gravimetric propulsion, and a shield that allows them to penetrate most materials, hell, even fricken granite. Does anyone know anything else about those squid looking thingies of doom?

I cannot think of anything else rightnow...more going to come soon, and I also might expand on those above.

#2 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 30 September 2009 - 19:07

View PostSargeant Rho, on 8 Sep 2009, 2:40, said:

I've been wondering on how the technologies in different sci-fi series, mostly Stargate, could actually work.

Firstly there would be the ring transport.
From what I could gather, the Ring Transport is basically a Stargate, but smaller, and for short distances only. The light could be a small wormhole, running from the top to the bottom, and then from the bottom to the top again at the destination: Basically as if you took a Stargate, and first dropped it on the ground, and then took the destination stargate, and lift it off the ground again. Or does the Ring transport actually desintegrate, transport,and reintegrate the teleported matter?

I actually see it as just a cheaper more low-tek star trek transporter. The rings act as scanners, and as such they move and whatnot, to be able to scan your whole body.

Then the Stargate itself.
I think it concentrates energy between itself, and the destination, dargging the destination to itself, instead of brining you to the destination, it brings the destination to you, but at the same time, it does not. The display of the wormhole the stargate creates is pretty big bullshit. All you'd see would be a hugely compressed space, through which you can reach your destination basically instantly. And also see everything at the destination. But in the series it is described as a teleporter. It desintegrates matter at its event horizon, send the information to the destination, and reintegrates it.

not sure, I always imagine it as nothing short of a wormhole gate, sorry, looks like the most likely thing to me

Next I would like to ponder the Hyperdrive.
Dauth, could you do this, I am not that familiar with the 8 other dimensions other than ours...
But I think the Hyperdrive rips a hole into spacetime, once again by concentrating huge ammounts of energy at a single point. Then through that rift, the ship slips into another dimension/Hyperpace. Repeat at the destination, but the problem would be, slipping not into another dimension.

I wonder about hyperspace too, but I guess it would depend on certain things. Hyperspace I can imagine existing in this universe, only that it doens't exist in "conventional space." Pretty, much look at the voids, I think I posted this idea before, but hell, I'll summarise it again. It is possible that space-time itself may be less constant than we think, thicker in some layers than others, and as such things such as gravity (a sort of distortion of space-time) will have less or more effect on them. Hyperspace could simply be space so thick that gravity never affected it much and as such you can reach faster speeds because due to the thicker "fabric" some rules act differently (again, gravity being an example). Some evidence for this is the shape of the universe. The universe should have expanded more or less like a shell, as it came from a single point, however, it did not, instead it's a jumbled mess. Maybe those empty regions are empty because the thicker space was too hard to distort and instead matter got pulled into the thinner areas where much stronger gravitational forces exist (this so-called "dark matter network" that links our universe together). Hell, I'd ask Dauth, but I like my idea, it's just bloody insane enough to be true 8|

Sorry if that last part sounded weird, boarding school is hard as hell and I'm REALLY tired at the moment! Think like typing while hammered, but being sleepy as hell instead of hammered.

Uhm...what else do we have..oh right, the force shields.
Actually, can anybody explain me what a forceshield really is? So far, I think it is not actually an energy field, but more a material barrier, of subatomic particles, maybe protons? Suspended in a certain arrangement perhaps by a magnetic field or so, or maybe a bubble of some other kind of energy. That's why shields can be "damaged" I guess, or does any of you know any kind of energy that can have the properties of a material barrier?

Most likely a layer of cold plasma, probably controlled by an electromagnetic field. The shield being "damaged" beings having part of the shield shot away I guess....

Is there anything else? Ancient Drones.
The Tau'Ri have no idea whatsoever how to manufacture them, but I also wonder what they actually are. From what I could gather ingame, they are using a sort of gravimetric propulsion, and a shield that allows them to penetrate most materials, hell, even fricken granite. Does anyone know anything else about those squid looking thingies of doom?

I cannot think of anything else rightnow...more going to come soon, and I also might expand on those above.

no idea what you're talking about here!
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#3 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 17:00

The stargate desintegrates you on the event horizon, sends the information through a subspace wormhole, and reintegrates you at the event horizon of the destination stargate, that is what Rodney said in SG Atlantis.

And the Ancient Drones are the yellow swarm-thingies, that were fired from the Antartica base against anubis.

#4 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 17:21

Though I no way can understand how these things will work even it is done, I am pretty sure it is ' possible ', its enough to look back two hundred years before and check back our time again, you will see how things changed and what we use now is like a miracle to 19. century' people. it will be same for our grand children, they will use these Stargates and rings or whatever, but I am not sure anyone in this forum have correct theories about such things, this will only be ' imagination ' ^^

#5 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 17:30

Stargates aren't possible because of the law of conservation of momentum. A stargate puts you in a different place, at a different velocity and direction of movement. The only way a stargate could have a more likely chance of succeeding is if the two gates were at rest relative to one another, and if the exiting gate would be placed in the opposite direction as the entering gate. So then when you entered one gate, your momentum relative to the earth would not change.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#6 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 17:06

The way stargates in Stargate work, they are possible: They are teleporters, not portals. Your speed remains the same, not your direction and place tho.

#7 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 26 October 2009 - 18:42

The way we will achieve teleportation IMO is through transformation of matter into packets of data, effectively digitizing ourselves.
Posted Image

#8 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:44

View PostSargeant Rho, on 26 Oct 2009, 17:06, said:

The way stargates in Stargate work, they are possible: They are teleporters, not portals. Your speed remains the same, not your direction and place tho.

No, they aren't possible. Remember your gate thing is on a planet which is rotating on it's axis. This planet is moving around a star, and the star is moving around the centre of the galaxy.

#9 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 00:51

If the teleporting-thingy is like a slinky, one end is moving about at 30000m/s or something like that, I think you're going to be bouncing a lot if you hit the walls or something. :P
Posted Image

#10 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:05

Rich, Stargates are NOT portals, they are Teleporters, that use wormholes in order to transfer the data instantly.

#11 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:30

View PostSargeant Rho, on 27 Oct 2009, 5:05, said:

Rich, Stargates are NOT portals, they are Teleporters, that use wormholes in order to transfer the data instantly.

What's the difference? You can't allow the thing to defy the law of conservation of momentum by calling it a different name. And let's not get into the problems involved in "transferring data down a wormhole" and "instantly".

Edited by Rich19, 27 October 2009 - 08:32.

#12 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 20:52

The difference is, that you stop moving when you enter the event horizon.

And what is so hard about transfering data through a wormhole instantly? That is basically what a wormhole is: An instant connection from A to B.

#13 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 21:02

A wormhole would work by "bending the universe" so to speak speak, so that relatively you move exponentially faster than light. It's not really instant, but it seems to be based on the idea of moving through a dimension completely independent of time and space as we know it. At least that's the way I like to see it :P
Posted Image

#14 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 21:11

I thought wormholes were things that connected two points of a universe together :P

Like this
Posted Image

#15 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 21:25

Noticed the "bent" universe? Of course this is supposed to be through a different dimension. All this is theoretical physics of course :P
Posted Image

#16 Lord Atlantis

I am Iron Man

• 3807 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 00:41

All of the ring transport technology was initially taken from the Ancients (the same technology is present in Atlantis with the teleporters that teleport you around the city). As it was quite clearly put, the Goa'uld were imitators, not inventors.

Oh, and while we are at it lets discuss the feasability of ZPMs (Zero Point Modules) and Vacuum energy too.

Edited by Lord Atlantis, 28 October 2009 - 00:42.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users