A Single Song

13 replies to this topic

#1 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 20:50

Posted Image
Now, it's a common perception in films, mostly chick flick ones, that couple have songs. Case in point: Click use the song Linger by The Cranberries to symbolise the relationship between the two leads.

I would suggest to you, however, that people don't necessarily need to be engaged, married, or even involved with a significant other to have a song that they find 'does something' for them. Some people get this from significant others, others take them from poignant moments in their life. The lyrics make sense to people. So, I'm wondering if you have a song that says a lot about you or a time in your life, and why that song is so significant.

To start the ball rolling, I present you with the song that I currently feel is spot on for me:

Dave Mathew's Band - You Might Die Trying

So, why this song, and why me? Well, as it turns out, this song is all about taking risks, from as far as I can see. You MIGHT die trying, but you can always take that risk and get away with it. Now, most of you who know me wouldn't probably class me as a risk taker. Well, I also took a risk of late, and it was the most worthwhile thing I think I've ever done. And then I was put onto this song not long afterwards, and just thought of how fitting it was. Risks can be good, and frankly, life's never been better because of it.

Ps, ty Pav for the image.
For there can be no death without life.

#2 retry_1

sniper extrordanare

• 2591 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 21:50

Swing Life Away- Rise Against

The song basically describes my summer of two years ago. A time in my life that i was depressed, overweight, and just genearaly not in a good place in life. Myself and my two best friends, one male one female, would sit on a porch at the girl's grandmother's house virtually every day and talk for hours about nothing. I miss those days when guys and girls could hang out without making out, when Mountain dew was the strongest thing we had drank. when we didn't have to worry about the fact we didn't have gas, because we could get anywhere we wanted by walking, and i wish i could relive that time with the attitude i have now, because i let jealousy control much of my life. It's funny how times that were dark at the time, we can later look back on and realize how good those times really were, and how great they could have been.
Sig and avy by yours truly
Posted Image

#3 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 27 September 2009 - 22:16

It used to be Motorhead - Ace of Spades for me, but now it changes almost every month...
Its just whatever puts me in a good mood
Atm its Guru Josh Project - Infinity 2008 :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:03

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1EBw_da7BZk
Basically I see the stage between childhood and being an adult a road to hell. Honestly not looking forward to those 9-5 shifts, mortgage, debt and commitments.

Edited by W!, 28 September 2009 - 01:03.

Posted Image

#5 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:00

Kenny Loggins highway to the danger zone describes what it felt like driving home from the licensing center when i got my driver license :D

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#6 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 28 September 2009 - 21:00

It just happens to me alot, not reading the timetable or setting the alarm clock...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#7 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 21:23

Oingo Boingo - Perfect System.

Represents the years of getting though school/college :stickattack:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 23:05

My song for the moment, because songs that I hold dear change from day to day depending on my mood. The song is a stab at the modern lifestyle, where the media paints an image of "perfection" and changes it so that the latest and greatest is no longer "good enough". A message for the masses to go out and consume until it hurts and to continue consuming. It's a stab at the companies that have people believing vanity is their saviour, that things can fill the void(s) in their lives.

Confessions

Call me consumer,
the entertainment hunter

I bit the hook
that I will never be good enough

I'm catching up to those around me
Secure my uniform
babbet, I could use a kiss
they said I'm insecure

There's nothing new under the sun

Fall in line, fall in line

Believe the lie in hair clubs, fashion, gyms, cleansers and creams
One day we'll be the status quo

There's nothing new under the sun

Posted Image

#9 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:25

Haha, I've had phases where I felt like almost every song I know described me spot-on...
One song that's always been close to my heart, though, is Boats and Birds by Gregory and the Hawk:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Pz5H3iVjAlw
I've lost so many friends over the years - all but two of the close friends I've ever had are gone now, and I miss every one of them but doubt any one of them would even remember my name.
"I live in Yesterday and dream of Tomorrow", basically.
this sig is a lie

#10 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:13

REM - Losing My Religion :

Oh, life is bigger
It's bigger than you
And you are not me
The lengths that I will go to
The distance in your eyes
Oh no, I've said too much
I set it up
That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight, I'm
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
I haven't said enough
I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try
Every whisper
Of every waking hour I'm
Choosing my confessions
Trying to keep an eye on you
Like a hurt lost and blinded fool, fool

I set it up
Consider this
Consider this
The hint of the century
Consider this
The slip that brought me
To my knees failed
What if all these fantasies
Come flailing around
Now I've said too much
I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

But that was just a dream
That was just a dream
But that was just a dream
Try, cry, why try?
That was just a dream
Just a dream, just a dream
Dream

though I feel a music which lacks words related to me, when I listen it I fill with both joy and sadness, something interesting but true, that music is the music of Resident Evil Outbreak File 2's Credits.

#11 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 17:02

The closest I've had like this, was with a girl I once dated.

Just a little moment when we were watching TMF (dutch music channel ala MTV) and they played Madonna's clip from the song Frozen. Aside from the nice video clip the song grabbed us both and we watched it all the way through not saying a word.

After that, we saw the song three more times in the following month, and it had the same effect. We started repeating lines from it to each other, cute fluff. It's kind of like your ''couple has a song'' stereotype. The irony is it never really went anywhere with that girl. The listenings of Frozen were, looking back, the most memorable thing we've done together.

So, nowadays, whenever I happen to hear the song or my winamp shuffle finds it, my memory relocates that particular girl, even though she's so insignificant in my entire love life.

Edited by Shock, 03 October 2009 - 17:06.

Posted Image

#12 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 26 October 2009 - 23:37

This is a bit different to the other songs posted, but I think this piece of music is beautiful. It's very relaxing, but inspirational at the same time - the kind of thing you can listen to if ever you have a bad day to make everything okay again.

Edited by Rich19, 26 October 2009 - 23:39.

#13 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 13:54

The Beatles - Nowhere Man

Why? well, just listen to the lyrics and you'll know why. ;)

#14 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:54

I just can't really choose between these two, plus choosing only one seems to betray the duality of human nature:

&

EDIT:Hell, any song he's ever made I even remotely liked. Much of his work was very similar.

View PostTheDR, on 28 Sep 2009, 21:23, said:

Oingo Boingo - Perfect System.

Represents the years of getting though school/college :pimp:

Oh my god I LOVE Oingo Boingo, it's like Devo+Ska.

Edited by Dr. Strangelove, 14 November 2009 - 10:05.

Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users