Web art work help

8 replies to this topic

#1 Hybrid

• 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 18:58

Hi Guys,

I'm currently trying to design a website for my camp that I work for. I am not getting paid for this website so I cannot pay anyone to help me. My boss doesn't even know I am designing this site. I'm doing it secretly because his one is so outdated that it makes me cry looking at it (lol j/k). But it does need an upgrade! So I'm trying to do it in my free time. Which is every day at the moment as I am jobless and can't find a job!

Anyway my bosses site is located at: http://www.watonka.com

Basically I've started on a template, although got no where yet because I lack the artist eye. I was wondering if someone could give me advice in photoshop or help to teach me some skills. I know how to use photoshop and have somewhat basic/intermediate abilities with it but I'm just an awful artist until I teach myself.

I've researched quite a bit and I like designs like this: www.biglake.org Although I don't want to copy / steal the style it's just some of the techniques he used I would like to learn.

Our camp is a science camp so it is important that the site appear science oriented hopefully with a techie touch. Anyone here reckon they can give an very old oldbie a free hand?

Thanks,
Your original host,
Tom (hybrid) 8|

Edited by Hybrid, 09 October 2009 - 19:01.

#2 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 19:29

Don't know really where to start, but there are a whole bunch of Photoshop: web layout tuts on tutorialized.com

If you have more specific questions, like how do I make x, then I'd be glad to try and help. 8|
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 Hybrid

• 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 20:07

Ok thanks. I mean what I am really looking for is how to manipulate pictures like that guy did with such funky and cool looking graphics. I lack the skills to do that. Either that or if someone was willing to help me (by helping me produce the site) and be credited on the sites development that would be nice 8|

Tbh that site is pretty good. Going to learn how to do that stuff as well :P But if anyone can help me, like I requested above, let me know 8|

Edited by Hybrid, 09 October 2009 - 20:09.

#4 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 20:17

You mean the orange/yellow explosion type thing?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#5 Hybrid

• 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 20:22

Yes along the lines. I'm looking at other tutorials. Might find something more appropriate for what I am trying to do 8|

#6 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 20:33

Well the basics of that would be create a new layer and fill it with a gradient.

Posted Image

Add a layer mask an fill it with black.

Posted Image

Finally get some custom brushes, with white colour, add some random shapes

Posted Image

I know my final result isn't amazing, but get some good brushes (rather than the default PS brush I used) and you can create some nice effects
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#7 Hybrid

• 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 20:42

Where can I find brushes? I assume a google search will be sufficient? 8|

#8 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 20:48

Yes it will. 8| Let me get some
€: Check here

Edited by HeartBreak1, 09 October 2009 - 20:49.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#9 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 20:48

I don't use brushes all that much, but I believe you can find some good brushes on DeviantArt failing that, google is your best bet
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users