Quote Compendium

12 replies to this topic

#1 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:05

Just thought I'd start up a good selection of quotes, it's one of the things that I like looking around for, so thought it'd be nice to provide them to others too. If you want to add any, please feel free to suggest :P

General:
"Work like you don’t need money, love like you’ve never been hurt, and dance like no one’s watching "

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn’t."

"Our pleasures are shallow, our sorrows deep."

"If it is to be, it is up to me."

"Engage brain before mouth"

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

"If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

"You have two ears and one mouth. Therefore you should listen twice as often as you speak."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Ghandi

"Chivalry has never tasted death. Only in the mouths of fools has it seen the door."

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part."

"Of all the people to survive, he's not the one you would have chosen, is it? But if you could choose, Doctor, if you could decide who lives and who dies... that would make you a monster."

Love:
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

"Love is a word, what matters is the connection that word implies."

Comedy:
"When you go into court you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty."

"Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else’s can shorten it."

"I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it."

"It's dead easy to die, it's the keeping on living that's hard"

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without having to hold on."

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." ~ George Best

Edited by AJ, 23 October 2009 - 14:04.
Added some moar

For there can be no death without life.

#2 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:10

"I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it."

"Our pleasures are shallow, our sorrows deep."

Posted Image

#3 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:13

View PostAJ, on 18 Oct 2009, 14:05, said:

"When you go into court you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty."

^^ So true, thankfully I got out of jury duty over the summer.

Here's a motto my dad gave me when I was 12 years old, the 10 most powerful two letter words in the english language:

"If it is to be, it is up to me."

Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#4 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:17

"Engage brain before mouth"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:29

"You gotta shoot'em in the head."

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

Alan Kay
Posted Image

#6 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 18:29

"If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

"You have two ears and one mouth. Therefore you should listen twice as often as you speak."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Ghandi

A quote of my own:

"Chivalry has never tasted death. Only in the mouths of fools has it seen the door."
Posted Image

#7 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:08

two of my favorites.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part." - William Somerset (Morgan Freeman), "Se7en" (this is in my profile)

"Of all the people to survive, he's not the one you would have chosen, is it? But if you could choose, Doctor, if you could decide who lives and who dies... that would make you a monster." - Mr. Copper, "Voyage of the Damned", Doctor Who (Season 4)

I felt like the ones posted here so far were too well known.. wanted to post something more obscure
both of the above quotes mean a lot to me, though.
this sig is a lie

#8 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:19

"Why do it just right when you can really kill it" can't remember where i heard that
"It's dead easy to die, it's the keeping on living that's hard" Douglas Mawson
"Fair shake of the sauce bottle" Kevin Rudd
And a quote of my own "If your pissed and you can get out of my cruiser with out stacking it, your not pissed enough"

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#9 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 20 October 2009 - 16:05

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without having to hold on." ~ Can't remember who said that.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." ~ George Best

#10 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 18:58

"I have to kill fast! And bullets to slow!" John Freeman.

Okay serious now.

"I aimed at the public's heart, and by accident I hit it in the stomach." -Upton Sinclair. About his book "The Jungle"

"Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies" Voltaire, to a priest at his deathbed, who asked him to renounce the Devil, even as a christian, I consider that a freaking brilliant line.

Also, all the following lines

Edited by SquigPie, 23 October 2009 - 19:04.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#11 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 20:48

'' Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship '' - Buddha

this quote is one of the rarest quotes I completely agree and remember often, it really explains what you need to do to be happy in your whole life ; short, clear and simple.

#12 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 16:55

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you, weep, and you weep alone".

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#13 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 25 October 2009 - 17:13

Ammo is cheap, life is expensive: if it's worth shooting, it's worth shooting twice.

(And now for some real ones)

Any society that would give up a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and will lose both.
-Ben Franklin

One of the things you learn in life, is that theres really only one thing really worth having, and that's love. Well, by the same token, there's really only one thing worth fighting for, and that's justice.

Real revolution begins at learning; if you're not pissed off, you're not paying attention.
-Tim McIlrath

There's no such thing as "being surrounded". There are just times when you have the option to attack in any direction you choose!
kinda, sorta alive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users