Metal Mania

102 replies to this topic

#1 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 21 October 2009 - 18:26

Each week / however long people are interested, I will post a series of metal songs right across the genre. These will vary from melodic death metal to symphonic metal, the only genre I will not include - bar one or two songs is black metal, as I tend to find the vocal style repulsive.

Anyways, lets crack on.

First of all is the song Slipstream, by an English progressive metal band called Threshold - Credits go to aftershock for introducing me to them.

Next up, a quite melodic track from metalcore band, Killswitch Engage. If anyone says metal is all about death and devil worshipping, this normally shuts them up.

Now a band that was introduced to me fairly recently by some uni friends. Enter Shikari is a post hardcore / metalcore band, who blend dance music (well thats what I call it anyway) with some mad riffs and a mix of clean vocals and screaming. Quality on the vid isn't great, but it will do!

Now a vocalist which puts all the singers in mainstream RnB/pop to shame. Tarja Turunen, former lead singer of symphonic metal quintet Nightwish.

Next up, a fairly long (16 minute) track from prog metal gods, Dream Theater. This is one of the tracks from their new album, Black Clouds and Silver Linings. I love the intro so much, the simple piano followed by the - well... you'll see :D - I'll only link part 1 for conveinience, you can find part 2 in the related videos.

I'll end this first Metal Mania with one of my favorite songs. The Illusionist by melodic death metal band, Scar Symmetry. I can't express how much I love this song. It features some clever use of synths, insane guitar riffs, a mind blowing solo and the vocalist excels at both clean singing and growls.

Comments are encouraged and welcomed.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 19:45

The last three were simply ace.
Posted Image

#3 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 20:40

Awesome stuff, I've always been a fan (If not very devoted) of Killswitch Engage (Rose of Sharyn <3 ) and Enter Shikari.

You'll prob get more attention than the DnB threads due to metal being a bit more mainstream. :D

Edited by W!, 21 October 2009 - 20:41.

Posted Image

#4 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 20:43

View PostW!, on 21 Oct 2009, 21:40, said:

Awesome stuff, I've always been a fan (If not very devoted) of Killswitch Engage (Rose of Sharyn <3 ) and Enter Shikari.

You'll prob get more attention than the DnB threads due to metal being a bit more mainstream. :D

Rose of Sharyn is good, but their best song is End of Heartache hands down IMO. I'm saving that for another time though.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 20:49

View PostIon Cannon!, on 21 Oct 2009, 21:43, said:

View PostW!, on 21 Oct 2009, 21:40, said:

Rose of Sharyn is good, but their best song is End of Heartache hands down IMO. I'm saving that for another time though.

ALso good, but I do prefer Rose of Sharyn.

Posted Image

#6 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 21 October 2009 - 21:41

Not really my type of metal, (tho I do have a soft spot for old nightwish) but it inspired me to listen to some metal properly again so thanks :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 21:46

View PostPav3d, on 21 Oct 2009, 22:41, said:

Not really my type of metal, (tho I do have a soft spot for old nightwish) but it inspired me to listen to some metal properly again so thanks :D

I'll aim to cover pretty much everything over time, whats your preferred genre of metal then?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 21:49

Brutal death, goregrind, old school thrash

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 21 October 2009 - 21:51

I gave some of this stuff a listen, but I dunno. Not really my favorite type of music. Too melodic and such :D I'll stick to house and trance and occasional visit these.
Posted Image

#10 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 23:05

View PostPav3d, on 21 Oct 2009, 22:49, said:

Thrash eh, heard of a band called Evile?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 23:10

View PostIon Cannon!, on 22 Oct 2009, 0:05, said:

View PostPav3d, on 21 Oct 2009, 22:49, said:

Thrash eh, heard of a band called Evile?

Yup, but I listen to the 80's thrash, Sodom, Kreator etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 00:42

Oh my, I didn't realise that much time had passed. Better catchup.

First of all, some In Flames. For those not in the know. In Flames started the Gothenburg sound with two other bands, Dark Tranquillity and At the Gates. This spawned melodic death metal which in turn has spawned metal core and other sub genres.

In Flames have changed their sound much over their career, incorporating influences from more recent american metal bands.

First of all, one of their older tracks, form their 4th album Colony.

Now another ; ableit just as awesome song, from their 7th album Soundtrack to Your Escape - Video is pretty cool as well :xD:

And now for something completely different, well fairly anyway. This next track is by Disturbed, who are both Hard rock and heavy metal. You'll either love them, or hate them.
Warning, video contains pretty nasty gore. But I wanted a HQ version of the track.

Time for something more symphonic, bring on Nightwish!

Back to heavyness now with another track from Scar Symmetry.

Now a classic from Metallica.

And we'll finish with Finnish band, Children of Bodom.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 05 November 2009 - 00:47.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:07

Any one heard of Kalmah their song Hades is a good one, i would think they are death metal are they not?

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#14 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:27

[quote name='Major Fuckup' post='713484' date='5 Nov 2009, 11:07']Any one heard of Kalmah their song Hades is a good one, i would think they are death metal are they not?

[/quote]

Thats melodic death metal, the vocals aren't the best but the rest seems pretty decent, might go and check out some of their other stuff.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Sicarius

Semi-Pro

• 226 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:58

Bumping for more with some viking-themed melodic death metal.

Edit:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 5 Nov 2009, 5:27, said:

Thats melodic death metal, the vocals aren't the best but the rest seems pretty decent, might go and check out some of their other stuff.

Maybe you've found this song already but it's probably my favourite Kalmah song right now.

Edited by Sicarius, 02 December 2009 - 04:25.

I've come face to face with myself, man.
Sanctify the early light just like the old man can, boy!
Change the world? You'd better change yourself, man/ boy/ man
Challenge the mind to be more like the rolling ocean, man!

#16 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:13

[quote name='Sicarius' post='724257' date='2 Dec 2009, 3:58']Bumping for more with some viking-themed melodic death metal.
[/quote]

I prefer Twilight of the Thunder God myself.

Saw Killswitch Enage and In Flames yesterday, was fucking insane.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 02 December 2009 - 14:48

awesome songs you have here. I really like them!
In Flames!

#18 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 15:11

View Postn5p29, on 2 Dec 2009, 14:48, said:

awesome songs you have here. I really like them!
In Flames!

In Flames we trust.

It was really good, I ended up hurting pretty much all over, but so worth it!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 23:16

[quote name='Ion Cannon!' post='706390' date='21 Oct 2009, 18:26']Now a band that was introduced to me fairly recently by some uni friends. Enter Shikari is a post hardcore / metalcore band, who blend dance music (well thats what I call it anyway) with some mad riffs and a mix of clean vocals and screaming. Quality on the vid isn't great, but it will do!

[/quote]

I'm surprised you haven't heard about these sooner. They became very popular with me and my friends a couple of years ago, as well many others around here in birmingham, which is probably how you have only just heard about them.
They are one of my Girlfriend's favourite bands.
While I wasn't too impressed with their performance at Glastonbury Festival this year, I forgive them as their set up was unfortunately flawed (Guitar kept cutting out amongst other things)
I hear they are very good at smaller, more local gigs.

Oh and it's trance, not dance you are looking for :D

Oh and I'm hoping to see some 36Crazyfists sometime in here <3

Edited by Nidmeister, 02 December 2009 - 23:19.

Posted Image

#20 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:23

[quote name='Nidmeister' post='724607' date='2 Dec 2009, 23:16'][quote name='Ion Cannon!' post='706390' date='21 Oct 2009, 18:26']Now a band that was introduced to me fairly recently by some uni friends. Enter Shikari is a post hardcore / metalcore band, who blend dance music (well thats what I call it anyway) with some mad riffs and a mix of clean vocals and screaming. Quality on the vid isn't great, but it will do!

[/quote]

I'm surprised you haven't heard about these sooner. They became very popular with me and my friends a couple of years ago, as well many others around here in birmingham, which is probably how you have only just heard about them.
They are one of my Girlfriend's favourite bands.
While I wasn't too impressed with their performance at Glastonbury Festival this year, I forgive them as their set up was unfortunately flawed (Guitar kept cutting out amongst other things)
I hear they are very good at smaller, more local gigs.

Oh and it's trance, not dance you are looking for :D

Oh and I'm hoping to see some 36Crazyfists sometime in here <3
[/quote]

Now theres a band i've not listened to for a while, we'll see. I'll update this thread soon I guess.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 03 December 2009 - 13:15

[quote name='Sicarius' post='724257' date='2 Dec 2009, 11:58'][/quote]
Man i pissed my left laughing when i saw their hair spin in unison

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#22 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 22:09

I guess its update time then.

Saw KSE and In Flames live on tuesday. They were both excellent live, if you like either of them I recommend going to see them play.

Lets get the ball rolling with a well known KSE song - Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade. The first song I heard from them and been hooked since.

Now for something completely different, some symphonic metal from Epica. Epica - Dance of Fate

and another, Epica - Never Enough, Dark Version.

Some prog goodyness. Symphony X are often compared with Dream Theater, not like thats a bad thing!

Symphony X - Domination

This is one of the few Slipknot songs I like - Slipknot - Vermillion Pt1

This band is christian would you believe it! - Demon Hunter - I have seen where it grows

Machinehead - Seasons wither, don't worry about the wierd intro thingy, it only lasts for 10 or so seconds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 22:38

On the Epica songs, those are from the second full length volume which tends to be the most poppy and lightweight. You probably know they recently released their fourth full length which is much heavier and imho, much better as well. Never Enough is a strike song but no where near the level of The Divine Conspiracy (3) and Design your Universe (4). Try the song 'Martyr of the free Word' of the last album for example. It pretty much rips the throne off Nightwish's head when it comes to this genre of metal.

Pure gold on the choice of songs for Symphony X. You picked my straight favorite there.

Finally, because as you said in your first post and I doubt it has changed, you won't post any black metal, I'd post one or two gems |8 I personally don't like Black Metal too much either. However, there are some bands broadening the genre, namely the symphonic bands, that do have my interest. They sound remarkably different from the cold dark black metal that's usually the picture.

Anorexia Nervosa - Sister September. This is probably from one of the most epic, loud and musically rich black metal bands ever to be mentioned.

And to finalize, most metalfans know this band. Dimmu Borgir. This song lead by the piano keyboard is a good representation of the musical and composing talent of this band what got them so far.

Dimmu Borgir - Dreamside Dominions.

Edited by Shock, 03 December 2009 - 22:51.

Posted Image

#24 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 22:55

View PostShock, on 3 Dec 2009, 22:38, said:

On the Epica songs, those are from the second full length volume which tends to be the most poppy and lightweight. You probably know they recently released their fourth full length which is much heavier and imho, much better as well. Never Enough is a strike song but no where near the level of The Divine Conspiracy (3) and Design your Universe (4). Try the song 'Martyr of the free Word' of the last album for example. It pretty much rips the throne off Nightwish's head when it comes to this genre of metal.

Pure gold on the choice of songs for Symphony X. You picked my straight favorite there.

Finally, because as you said in your first post and I doubt it has changed, you won't post any black metal, I'd post one or two gems |8 I personally don't like Black Metal too much either. However, there are some bands broadening the genre, namely the symphonic bands, that do have my interest. They sound remarkably different from the cold dark black metal that's usually the picture.

Anorexia Nervosa - Sister September. This is probably from one of the most epic, loud and musically rich black metal bands ever to be mentioned.

snip-

And to finalize, most metalfans know this band. Dimmu Borgir. This song lead by the piano keyboard is a good representation of the musical and composing talent of this band what got them so far.

Dimmu Borgir - Dreamside Dominions.

snippity snip

To be honest, i've not actually heard much Epica, i'll make sure to check their new album out.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 03 December 2009 - 22:56.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:04

awesome, music I actually know.
You should put up some Sonata Arctica |8 I love them.
this sig is a lie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users