Jump to content


Eclipse


12 replies to this topic

#1 BeefJeRKy

    Formerly known as Scopejim

  • Gold Member
  • 5,114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 11 February 2009 - 21:18

I'm learning Java and was trying the Eclipse IDE though some people told me Netbeans is better. I wanted some input from you guys.
Posted Image

#2 Teron

    Absinth drinker

  • Member
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:10

View PostScope, on 11 Feb 2009, 22:18, said:

I'm learning Java and was trying the Eclipse IDE though some people told me Netbeans is better. I wanted some input from you guys.


I'm developing programs for the uni and for the company I'm working at and I think, Eclipse is for the first encounter a bit overloaded. Alot of settings you can do, but when you get used to it, you will notice how much it supports you.

You will love the "CTRL-Space" (code completing, try typing "for" and then the comb. e.g. ), CTRL+1 error/warning solving, "CTRL+F" for formatting the code (by a given formatter you can choose or by the default Java conventions) and organizing Imports with "CTRL+O" makes Eclipse , imho, the most comfortable IDE out there.
"It's not the cards you have, it's how you play them!" - Gambit (X-Men)

#3 BeefJeRKy

    Formerly known as Scopejim

  • Gold Member
  • 5,114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:10

View PostTeron, on 11 Feb 2009, 20:10, said:

View PostScope, on 11 Feb 2009, 22:18, said:

I'm learning Java and was trying the Eclipse IDE though some people told me Netbeans is better. I wanted some input from you guys.


I'm developing programs for the uni and for the company I'm working at and I think, Eclipse is for the first encounter a bit overloaded. Alot of settings you can do, but when you get used to it, you will notice how much it supports you.

You will love the "CTRL-Space" (code completing, try typing "for" and then the comb. e.g. ), CTRL+1 error/warning solving, "CTRL+F" for formatting the code (by a given formatter you can choose or by the default Java conventions) and organizing Imports with "CTRL+O" makes Eclipse , imho, the most comfortable IDE out there.



Well we started off using text editor plus terminal. But you recommend Eclipse then? Alright good to know.
Posted Image

#4 BeefJeRKy

    Formerly known as Scopejim

  • Gold Member
  • 5,114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:43

Bumping this topic, but I'm transitioning to C++ from Java, and I wanted to see if I could keep using Eclipse with the C++ plugins or whether I should use Visual Studio or Codeblocks (assume price isn't a problem MSDN <3)
Posted Image

#5 CodeCat

    It's a trap!

  • Gold Member
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 16:33

I haven't used Eclipse for C++, and so I don't know how it compares to the Java version. In any case my tutorial has an open space for an installation guide if anyone wants to write it. :D
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#6 Warbz

    IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

  • Project Team
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 18:04

Know much about C#?

Posted Image

#7 BeefJeRKy

    Formerly known as Scopejim

  • Gold Member
  • 5,114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 22 October 2009 - 19:55

AFAIK, it's very similar to Java, so potentially yes :lol:
Posted Image

#8 CodeCat

    It's a trap!

  • Gold Member
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 21:23

C# is Microsoft Java, basically, but they gave their own spin on the runtime system so in practice it's quite different. I've never used it, and don't really intend to as some parts of the implementation are patented in some countries. And Microsoft is probably just waiting to set off the patent bomb at the right moment.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#9 Teron

    Absinth drinker

  • Member
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 19:11

View PostViseur, on 22 Oct 2009, 7:43, said:

Bumping this topic, but I'm transitioning to C++ from Java, and I wanted to see if I could keep using Eclipse with the C++ plugins or whether I should use Visual Studio or Codeblocks (assume price isn't a problem MSDN <3)

It's no problem developing C++ programms with eclipse, I do so (aside of Java)

If you are already using linux, just install the C++ plugin for eclipse via --> software updates
If you are under windows, you have to install cygwin or minsys with mingw :P

Some tutorial how to do so:
http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Eclipse,_CDT_&am...SYS_Setup_Guide

Edited by Teron, 25 October 2009 - 19:12.

"It's not the cards you have, it's how you play them!" - Gambit (X-Men)

#10 BeefJeRKy

    Formerly known as Scopejim

  • Gold Member
  • 5,114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 25 October 2009 - 19:13

Meh I just installed Code:Blocks :P
Posted Image

#11 Z_mann

    Professional

  • Member
  • 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:35

Yes, yes, i know :D But I think this doesn't need a new thread.

I'm looking for a GUI editor for Java, and since I use Eclipse, I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?
Posted Image

Posted Image


Science is magic, only complicated.

#12 BeefJeRKy

    Formerly known as Scopejim

  • Gold Member
  • 5,114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 17 May 2010 - 17:44

I don't get it. You're using Eclipse right? That's a Java IDE. Unless you mean something to edit Swing in? This may help
Posted Image

#13 CodeCat

    It's a trap!

  • Gold Member
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:05

My recommendation is to use Eclipse. :P
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users