Ethics

4 replies to this topic

#1 Antonius Maximus

• 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:29

Here I will briefly explain the two main ethical stances people adopt when making decision. There is what is called a Utilitarian ( invented by (Bentham and Mills hence why I have called it a Bentham approach in the heading) approach. the main aim of this approach is to do what is called happiness sums and that should equate into the greatest good for the greatest number E.g. John buys vodka for his friends and he knows that Bob cannot drink alcohol, so neglecting Bob John buys Vodka and his friends aside from Bob have a great time drinking vodka instead of lemonade, Bob however goes thirsty. But this is "ok" according to a utilitarian stance because john's friends would have had less fun (happiness) without the vodka.

The second most common ethical stance is that of Emmanuel Kant aka "Kantian ethics" this one I can simplify. Basically Do unto others as you would have them do unto you secondly the actions your are to execute would be (by your judgment) fit in your society as a law you would enforce and abide by. There is a third but i find it rather irrelevant and just filler |8 So let me know what your stance is or isn't.

PS: I would also like to add that I know there are criticisms of the Kantian and Utilitarian stance, but i haven't bothered to mention them as it isn't the point of my post ;)

Edited by Antonius Maximus, 24 October 2009 - 02:31.

#2 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:23

Acting to others the way you want them to act you is good I think, besides that; do not change yourself for others, do not act like you care when you not, these things which makes up my ethic.

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:36

I myself do not follow utilitarianism that much, as I find it to be a little too objectifying of people |8

I prefer the Kantian view myself, though I believe of set of rules/responsibilities and rights helps alot.
Posted Image

#4 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 15:09

I think my approach very much depends on the situation. Like your example...

A group of friends come round, one cannot drink alochol, I will buy alcohol regardless. Though if there was some serious impact on an individual I would definately not single him out for the benefit of the others.

Posted Image

#5 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 24 October 2009 - 22:50

regardless of waht you say every living person is Kantian. this is due to the very nature of ethics, morals, blah, blah, blah. ethics are assumptions made upon a bias point of view. Case and point if a tiger is in the room would you feed it the old or the child and allow the other to escape. Well, one argument would say that the old man has less time to change and make something of his life, while another would say that the child is too young to change anything at the moment.

Regardless of how good the presented data it still stands that ethics are built upon opinions. Which is why so many forms exists. Kantian is based on opinion, while the other seems to be more "statistical". However, ask any scientist to look at something as complicated as a data set of human behavior and make an assessment and you're fucked, almost every single one would have a different opinion and say what is the "best" line of best fit (in this case the "best" approach that would benefit the largest group of people). Case and point, again, look at most campaigns in history (political ones I mean) meant to "help the people" and look at how many of them screwed over a larger group of people than it helped, far too many, because you cant crunch numbers and expect humans and nature to respond as planned.

Furthermore, Kentian ethics itself is only half right. "Do onto other as you would have done onto you" (btw, this is Jebus' golden rule, so at least give the man his credit for this). Well, if you're the unlucky bastard who has a man point a gun at you and you either pull your own or die, which would you rather? 99% would draw and kill in self-defense.

The only ethical/moral system I believe is correct is the second half of Kentian, do as you believe, fuck everything else. As for why? Humans have free thought, its there for a reason, its a natural advantage and disadvantage depending on who has it. Whether you invite the caveman with the club into your house and break skull, he breaks yours, or you live happily ever after is so unpredictable that it matters not anyway, people will do as they wish.
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users