Gundams and Games

5 replies to this topic

#1 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 24 October 2009 - 23:43

I always found this odd.....Gundam is a genius show in that it incorporates politics and realistic (semi-realistic) war into the anime. So.....please help me understand....how nobody has EVER made a decent gundam RTS?

I mean its a perfect setup: Each series (screw you G Gundam, I hate you) has at least 3 sides, and each side on average has anywhere from.....60 to......a few hundred mobile suits....not counting variants. So, supple possibility for units, right?

And what about hero units? I mean, essentially a hero unit is something that can take down a few hundred units for each one of itself (case and point, Cmdr Burton vs. Infatry)....so then the job of a hero is to fly into battle and while the other units act as cannon fodder, attack. Or, in some cases, to be weak or slow but be able to take a shitload of damage and survive....... So then, take any random Gundam (not MS, GUNDAM) model...tada! Gundam=insta hero, especially if there is a certain overpowered superpilot behind it (char, amuro, kira, setsuna, take your pick, there's too damn many).

And tech levels? Well, lets look at a random series and see how its tech evolves....thats right, EVERY series has an incorporated tech tree. Whether its Zeon's experimental and oddly unfit for mass combat versus the much more aggressive feddy MSs or the AF's change from tank to Normal MSs in SEED, there's a variety. And then of course, there's posibility for space combat too.

I really do find it distressing that they screw this up the few times they DO do it. So then, if you know any active gundam mods, refer me to them? And if you want to make one and have ideas, I'll be happy to help. As Gundam games, if anyone can solve my question I'd adore them for it!
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 00:22

Search for Gundam mods on Mod DB

That really wouldn't have taken you more than 5 seconds to have thought about

Edited by Wizard, 25 October 2009 - 00:22.

#3 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:53

View PostZero, on 25 Oct 2009, 9:43, said:

Gundam is a genius show in that it incorporates politics and realistic (semi-realistic) war into the anime.

Not since the Universal Century series, tbh.

View PostZero, on 25 Oct 2009, 9:43, said:

screw you G Gundam, I hate you

G Gundam was brilliant. SEED on the other hand...

Also, check out the Gundam RTS for SPRING. I've not tried it myself, but it looks mighty impressive.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#4 Zeke

The X General

• Project Team
  • 3504 posts
  • Projects: Deep Impact (formerly EC)

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:42

View PostZero, on 25 Oct 2009, 7:43, said:

I always found this odd.....Gundam is a genius show in that it incorporates politics and realistic (semi-realistic) war into the anime. So.....please help me understand....how nobody has EVER made a decent gundam RTS?

well if your talking about mods for Zero Hour it is very hard to implement mechs in ZH especially Gundams (the modeling itself is hard enough, the coding and animation IS HELL.), and then of course there are the voices and soundeffects which will be hard to get unless you rip it from a Gundam game which isn't easy to do either.

View PostZero, on 25 Oct 2009, 7:43, said:

screw you G Gundam, I hate you

DO NOT DISS G GUNDAM!!!

#5 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:15

Needs more not-dubbed.

But seriously, why the hate for G Gundam? Because it wasn't gritty and 'realistic'?

Edited by RaiDK, 25 October 2009 - 12:17.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#6 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 27 October 2009 - 18:07

View PostWizard, on 25 Oct 2009, 0:22, said:

Search for Gundam mods on Mod DB

That really wouldn't have taken you more than 5 seconds to have thought about

My friend I've already seen all those :P I spent a good four hours searching for a good mod. Most are unfinished betas (LEGACY for Empire at War), unbalanced (the one for Gens, cant member the name which was fun but so completely unbalanced because with the ship you start with for a base you could destroy THE WHOLE ENEMY BASE), or just seemed mashed together, incomplete in a way. Though I've heard Gundam Mod 3.0 for Homeworld 2 is pretty okay, might check it out if I ever get the game.

My point is that quite frankly a very good mods about gundam have been made. As for Gundam Spring, I've played it, its alright, and I'm hoping that the final will be even better. However, it still perplexes me as to HOW there are no full good gundam games out there (remarkably there's even a Mechwarrior RTS).

And as far as G-Gundam, I like the gundams from it, and the more relaxed tone, but well...guess you cant call it hate. What I was referring to (far as hating it) was that as far as a game goes G-Gundam would be hard because there were no truly fleshed out sides to utilize with enough "cannon-fodder" (normal) units to build a good side. It would make a great game, but just a horrible RTS, sorry. But to me the show just felt....uncomplete without all the political and ethical grounds of the other seasons. It was just to.....super-robot-y and cartoony for my tastes. Although......I have to finish the last bits of it ;) Okay season, but I'll admit its my least favorite.

Although, G-Gundam I had an interesting idea for, after all, them being so well...uniform....you could always make their units and pilots Tech Units :)

And lol, I liked SEED, although the abused stock animation to unsurpassed levels and the second season left the main character (Kira) TOO MUCH of a god (still cool to watch him down a whole fleet within 5 minutes though :) ). SEED could have been MUCH better, but all in all, it was an okay season. Note how I said SEASON, I didnt like DESTINY too much save for seeing the new gundams, it was almost an exact copy of SEED, anyone notice?

Edited by Zero, 27 October 2009 - 18:10.

Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users