Ion's Photography Thread (Warning, large images)

70 replies to this topic

#26 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 16 October 2010 - 15:04

View PostFxor, on 16 Oct 2010, 15:59, said:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 16 Oct 2010, 15:34, said:

I think this will be the last batch of photos I upload from this area, but I may upload more at somepoint.

May I ask what camera you are using? Sorry in advance if I missed it.

I'm using a point and shoot. Panasonic Lumix DMC-F2, 10MP. I picked it up from Currys in a deal, came with a carry case and a 16GB memory card for £104.

Nice camera! I have a Canon 1000D and love taking shots, but the thing is, I never get to go anywhere nice to actually take a decent photograph. 8|

-Fx

Yes it certainly helps if you go to beautiful locations in the first place I doubt my shots would look nearly as good if I was stuck in the city all the time. I'm a complete amateur when it comes to taking photos, I may invest in a better camera if I get more serious about it, until then my current camera serves my needs fine.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 16 October 2010 - 15:09

There are two things keeping your last photo from being extraordinary: The over exposure that dominates the upper left, and the pink spot that lives downwind and to the right. Outside of that, the photo is quite a looker. The rays coming down from the clouds, kissing the earth, and the hushed ambiance that the cloud cover allows is just the business.
Posted Image

#28 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 15:17

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 16 Oct 2010, 16:09, said:

There are two things keeping your last photo from being extraordinary: The over exposure that dominates the upper left, and the pink spot that lives downwind and to the right. Outside of that, the photo is quite a looker. The rays coming down from the clouds, kissing the earth, and the hushed ambiance that the cloud cover allows is just the business.

I have no idea what that pink spot is, I don't remember it being there when I took the picture. If I lower the exposure on my camera it just makes the entire image darker, so it would still be brighter in that corner and the rest would be darker as well. I may have a play around and see if I can tweak the image somewhat.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 17 October 2010 - 21:39

The pink spot looks like lens flare to me.

If you feel that imageshack adds too much grain, consider using Flickr. Far better for real photos. I believe imageshack reduces the quality to save on bandwidth.
Posted Image

#30 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:28

Spent the weekend in the lakes, hence some nice new photos.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:39

Spent the weekend climbing / walking in Snowdonia, heres some of the photos I took. Sadly my camera ran out of battery halfway through the second day :(

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:20

Wow I like those mountains, the clouds...make it look...very...damn...I can't find a word. I just want to...play in the clouds :xD:
Posted Image

#33 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:16

I wish I got to travel and go and holidays as often.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#34 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 17:55

If I was looking to get into this a bit more seriously does anyone have some pointers as to the camera I should be looking for? I wouldn't want to spend more than £300 ideally, but I have more available if its worth the price.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 22 November 2010 - 17:56.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 18:57

Brilliant shots Ion. :cool:
Posted Image

#36 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 20:31

Cloud shots are great!

Looks like something out of a fantasy film.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#37 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 20:39

I like the framing and constrast in the second shot of your most recent pictures.

If you set a tripod there with a long exposure on a similar day I just wonder what kind of capture you could get.

#38 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 23:48

View PostIon Cannon!, on 22 Nov 2010, 19:55, said:

If I was looking to get into this a bit more seriously does anyone have some pointers as to the camera I should be looking for? I wouldn't want to spend more than £300 ideally, but I have more available if its worth the price.

Look into the Panasonic LX3 or LX5. The wide end starts at 24mm eqv angle. Provides a really nice wide view. It's also got a bright aperture which makes night shots a little easier to take. The Canon S95 is also a nice cam though its wide end starts at 28mm eqv angle so it is slightly less wide.

Here is a pic comparing the FOV difference
Posted Image

And a small tripod can definitely help. The Gorillapod tends to be popular.
Posted Image

#39 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:40

View PostProf. Scope, on 23 Nov 2010, 23:48, said:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 22 Nov 2010, 19:55, said:

Look into the Panasonic LX3 or LX5. The wide end starts at 24mm eqv angle. Provides a really nice wide view. It's also got a bright aperture which makes night shots a little easier to take. The Canon S95 is also a nice cam though its wide end starts at 28mm eqv angle so it is slightly less wide.

Here is a pic comparing the FOV difference
Posted Image

And a small tripod can definitely help. The Gorillapod tends to be popular.

The kind of photography I'm doing isn't really tripod stuff. I just take shots as I'm walking about. The main thing I want is greater sharpness / detail. Although my camera is 12MP alot of things still don't seem to look right. They're in focus, but they lack clarity.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 15:38

Since you're shooting landscapes, then you're going to want a high f/stop (a low aperture) to get all the details in. Looking at the EXIF data of the thirteenth picture, the exposure time of 1/160 seemed to be a bit fast, which is going to let a little less light in than 1/125, for example. You can safely shoot at 1/125 handheld before camera shake becomes an issue.

Try playing around with the white balance a bit as well. If it's a cloudy day, try selecting the "Cloudy" setting.

#41 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 00:33

If you get a better cam with RAW shooting, you can also play around with the files in a program like Lightroom or Photoshop or Silkypix
Posted Image

#42 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 16:16

View PostProf. Scope, on 28 Nov 2010, 0:33, said:

If you get a better cam with RAW shooting, you can also play around with the files in a program like Lightroom or Photoshop or Silkypix

And when you do, Scope will get the royalties he's been promised for saying that in every single photo thread we have :)

Nice pics mate, for the camera you've got. Now go buy a good 'un |8

#43 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 21:58

View PostWizard, on 29 Nov 2010, 16:16, said:

And when you do, Scope will get the royalties he's been promised for saying that in every single photo thread we have :)

Nice pics mate, for the camera you've got. Now go buy a good 'un |8

I really don't know much about photography, apart from exposure. So if you could suggest something which would give my images better quality that would be great.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 00:15

View PostWizard, on 29 Nov 2010, 18:16, said:

And when you do, Scope will get the royalties he's been promised for saying that in every single photo thread we have :P

Dammit found out! :P (8|)
But seriously, I found that tweaking in RAW can save a seemingly doomed pic seen in camera.

View PostIon Cannon!, on 29 Nov 2010, 23:58, said:

I really don't know much about photography, apart from exposure. So if you could suggest something which would give my images better quality that would be great.

In general a larger sensor will give you more detail. Dunno how much you're willing to spend for a DSLR or Mirrorless cam tbh. Unless Wiz can make you that offer he made me?
Posted Image

#45 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:59

maybe lower your ISO?

12MP should definitely do the trick so i'm guessing it's that. apart from that, your camera's quality will be the main factor.
it's time to wake up

#46 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:36

View PostIon Cannon!, on 16 Oct 2010, 19:31, said:

Posted Image
All my pictures seem to be grainier once I upload to imageshack, no idea why that is.

And out of nowhere Jeremy Clarkson!
I noticed in a lot of the photos they resolution looks like its out. Like looking at bushes/trees the leaves look grainy :xD:

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#47 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:54

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 25 Dec 2010, 3:36, said:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 16 Oct 2010, 19:31, said:

Posted Image
All my pictures seem to be grainier once I upload to imageshack, no idea why that is.

And out of nowhere Jeremy Clarkson!
I noticed in a lot of the photos they resolution looks like its out. Like looking at bushes/trees the leaves look grainy :xD:

Yes, thats what I meant about it doesn't always seem clear. I don't know if thats because of the cameras resolution though, or just the camera isn't that great. It's also worth noting that imageshack adds a fair bit of grain to the pictures.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:46

It looks to me like it was [over]sharpened in-camera via a setting if that was SOOC (straight out of camera).

#49 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:11

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:40

The river-shot looks...off for some reason...how do I describe it...but I like that valley shot.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users