.Raw Editing/Exporting/Importing Program

5 replies to this topic

#1 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 23 November 2009 - 21:15

I have no idea where something like this would go but I really don't care.

I'm working on a small project for Stronghold Crusader, and I want to change the soundtrack to songs of my own liking. Thing is, these Audio files are in a RAW format which makes them exceedingly difficult to edit. I can use Wavepad to import/export RAW audio and it works in-game, although it has an incredibly distorted quality.

Audacity is really different, it loads RAW Audio with no difficulties and can export them good with high qualities. But, when I load up stronghold crusader, the only thing I hear is ear-bleeding static.

Google is not showing any promising results, and I have been looking for an alternative program for *looks at clock* two hours now.
Formerly Sobek

#2 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 21:30

Try Audacity, it might work :loel:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 Pandut

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 21:32

View PostTheDR, on 23 Nov 2009, 14:30, said:

Try Audacity, it might work :loel:

I already tried that |8

View PostSobek, on 23 Nov 2009, 14:15, said:

Audacity is really different, it loads RAW Audio with no difficulties and can export them good with high qualities. But, when I load up stronghold crusader, the only thing I hear is ear-bleeding static.

Formerly Sobek

#4 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 21:51

RAW isn't even really an audio format. It's just a list of raw audio samples, without any information about how to play those samples. As a result, anything that wants to play RAW files has to 'guess' the correct format. If it guesses wrong, you get horrible noise.

Most likely, the problem arises because Audacity guesses correctly, but then exports into the wrong format. The game is probably hard wired to play RAW files in a fixed format, so if the files are in the wrong format, you're going to get wrong audio. So you should get Audacity to export the files in the format that the game expects.

Edited by CodeCat, 23 November 2009 - 21:53.

CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 22:23

View PostSobek, on 23 Nov 2009, 21:32, said:

Try Audacity, it might work |8

I already tried that |8

Sorry about that, tried to help fast and didn't read it twice :loel:

Search the internet for some sort of stronghold modding forum perhaps?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Pandut

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 00:11

View PostTheDR, on 23 Nov 2009, 16:23, said:

View PostSobek, on 23 Nov 2009, 21:32, said:

Try Audacity, it might work |8

I already tried that |8

Sorry about that, tried to help fast and didn't read it twice :loel:

Search the internet for some sort of stronghold modding forum perhaps?

Stronghold Knights |8 They do some modding, and claim to have some really good SHC modders there.

But, it seems CodeCat was right. The Crusader Music seems to be 16bit signed PCM. I've exported a test track and it works really well 8|
Formerly Sobek

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users