Immortal Jellyfish

6 replies to this topic

#1 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 15:29

Turritopsis nutricula may be the world’s only “immortal” creature.

Jellyfish usually die after propagating but Turritopsis reverts to a sexually immature stage after reaching adulthood and is capable of rejuvenating itself.

The 4-5mm diameter creature, technically known as a hydrozoan, is the only known animal that is capable of reverting to its juvenile polyp state.

Theoretically, this cycle can repeat indefinitely, rendering it potentially immortal.

Found in warm tropical waters Turritopsis is believed to be spreading across the world as ships’ ballast water is discharged in ports.

Though solitary, they are predatory creatures and mature asexually from a polyp stage.

The jellyfish and its reversal of the ageing process is now the focus of research by marine biologists and geneticists. It is thought to achieve the feat through the cell development process of transdifferentiation, in which cells transform from one type to another.

The switching of cell roles is usually seen only when parts of an organ regenerate. However, it appears to occur normally in the Turritopsis life cycle.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/scie...icle5594539.ece

Wonder how long it will be before that ability is implanted into other animals... Posted Image
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 15:46

Very difficult to get that into anything else - the means of transdifferentiation would essentially be reverting all of our body cells back to stem cells - in such a difficult and complex organism as ourselves that'd be tantamount to suicide - it only work in the jelly due to it's insane simplicity.
For there can be no death without life.

#3 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 02 December 2009 - 15:51

Science has come on at an amazing pace in the last 50 years. Now i'm not saying this will be in effect - IE immortal genetically egineered organisms - in 50 years. But I am somewhat scared what we might do if we had the capabilities.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 02 December 2009 - 15:57

I want to drink its blood!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 16:04

I'm pretty sure I've seen something similar to this, but that doesn't particularly matter right now.

With the advances in current times, I wouldn't be shocked that if in my lifetime they can apply this logic to a small rat or rodent, though, I'm not sure if its possible.

I doubt we'd ever be able to do this ourselves.
You almost did, didn't you?

#6 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 16:39

Having gone through puberty once, I'd rather not do it all over again. Poor buggers having to do that indefinitely.

#7 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 16:50

We'd never be able to do this ourselves, a simple fact from nature is that the more you do, the faster you die. This is why all very active animals have very short lifespans and very sluggish ones live much longer. The more you do, the faster you wear down, so to speak. This is why this type of organism lives so long. There's tons of strange single-celled organisms that do absolutely nothing but sit there and live eternally (I swear I heard the same story of some single-celled organism that lives in volcanoes) or just lie dormant for a few thousand years when the earth's conditions are not favourable enough, and then they wake up again.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users