What Is The Most Important Thing In The World?

50 replies to this topic

#26 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 15:05

View PostAllStarZ, on 22 Dec 2009, 23:51, said:

View PostBoidy, on 5 Dec 2009, 20:26, said:

I'm inclined to agree. Assuming it wasn't just a shameless spam quote assuming my comment was spam, there's no reason to call it spam.

"Me" is a widely held view of what is most important in the world. That is, the individual, for without the individual, the world wouldn't exist to that individual, and thus all importance/value given to things by that individual would be... nonexistent.

However, what if you die?

The world will go on regardless of whether you are there or not.

I'm quite sure that from his point of view, the world will come to a drastic halt if he stops existing.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#27 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 15:19

View PostCamille, on 5 Dec 2009, 19:55, said:

View PostTheDR, on 4 Dec 2009, 15:02, said:

My family and friends.

Camille, please don't "quote post", its not SYD.

so, just writing "me" wouldn't have been a problem? following your standards, boidy's comment should've been just as spammy as mine. case closed.

View PostBoidy, on 6 Dec 2009, 1:26, said:

I'm inclined to agree. Assuming it wasn't just a shameless spam quote assuming my comment was spam, there's no reason to call it spam.

Quote posts are considered spam and always has been. So please don't just quote without writing anything else, even "I agree" would of been better than nothing. Case closed.
One word posts can be considered spam but i didn't think you could write any more in that situation. I guess Boidy could of expanded on why but i didn't think it was worth the argument.

Anyway back on topic, don't you think that it's vain to have yourself as the most important thing in the world?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#28 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 16:22

no, not case closed. your word is not final. i think you're simply nitpicking or acting out a false sense of justice or authority.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with quote posts, it is just another chapter in the forum jargon that is as meaningful as it's wordy counterpart.

@topic: having yourself as the epicentre of the world is only natural. you move in a world that is constantly changing due to your actions, you see the world reacting to you and so forth. when you die, it's over. the entire universe you created inside of you mind is gone forever, and since you are the creator of your own thoughts, your world dies with you, making you the most important thing to yourself (this is, of course, starting from the theory that preservation of one's life is always the most important thing to a sentient being, immediately putting you in the aforementioned position).
it's time to wake up

#29 nip

Grunze-Catz

• 608 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 19:12

View PostAllStarZ, on 23 Dec 2009, 2:49, said:

The real issue here is probably whether that anything in the world has innate importance. What is it that inarguably, simply by being what it is, is the most important thing in the world?

Water. Life depends on water. Some people claim the first life forms arose in water.

#30 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 19:48

View PostCamille, on 23 Dec 2009, 16:22, said:

no, not case closed. your word is not final. i think you're simply nitpicking or acting out a false sense of justice or authority.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with quote posts, it is just another chapter in the forum jargon that is as meaningful as it's wordy counterpart.

@topic: having yourself as the epicentre of the world is only natural. you move in a world that is constantly changing due to your actions, you see the world reacting to you and so forth. when you die, it's over. the entire universe you created inside of you mind is gone forever, and since you are the creator of your own thoughts, your world dies with you, making you the most important thing to yourself (this is, of course, starting from the theory that preservation of one's life is always the most important thing to a sentient being, immediately putting you in the aforementioned position).

If you want to bring up the topic of quote posts, which you are more than entitled to, I would simply ask that it not be done in this topic as it will derail it - there is a feedback forum, go mad :P

@ topic - at this current point in time I would suggest that I am currently the most important thing in this world to me. The sense of being and the sense of self-worth is far more powerful a feeling than anything else at this current point in time. However, in the coming years, should I get married and possibly start a family, I'd suggest that I'd be an egotistical bastard to still consider myself the most important thing in the world to myself. I'd imagine it would be my wife and my children - t has long been shown that people would die for their children and their spouses, and thus that would place them above me in the grand scheme of things.
For there can be no death without life.

#31 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:07

View Postnipthecat, on 23 Dec 2009, 14:12, said:

The real issue here is probably whether that anything in the world has innate importance. What is it that inarguably, simply by being what it is, is the most important thing in the world?

Water. Life depends on water. Some people claim the first life forms arose in water.

The problem here is that your statement is flawed.

You basically say that water is important because it allows for life to exist. By extension, we are forced to accept that life is equally important because it defines the importance of water. Then we are forced to ask the question why life is important. The result is that not only do you have to provide an explanation for why life is important, but also invalidate the importance of water because it is dependent on the importance of life.

#32 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:57

The most important thing in the world is the lack of absolutes. Everything can be viewed from another point of view. Therefore, there is no single idea, concept or object that can be considered as absolutely necessary. Relativity is king.
Posted Image

#33 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 26 December 2009 - 13:23

What about FS?
Thats dam important

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#34 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 16:26

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 26 Dec 2009, 14:23, said:

What about FS?
Thats dam important

you are kidding, right?.
it's time to wake up

#35 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 26 December 2009 - 17:12

for now, the most important thing is a fast, stable, and cheap internet connection.

#36 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 26 December 2009 - 23:48

View Postnipthecat, on 23 Dec 2009, 13:12, said:

And oxygen. Although there is oxygen in water, but most lifeforms can't breath water :P
Formerly Sobek

#37 nip

Grunze-Catz

• 608 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:12

Physics.

#38 Numbers

Regular

• 167 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:16

Me. No Really. If i didn't exist I wouldn't even be capable of considering what is the most important thing in the world.
Posted Image
EXTREME Tree is to EXTREME for you.

#39 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 13:24

View PostNumbers, on 27 Dec 2009, 2:16, said:

Me. No Really. If i didn't exist I wouldn't even be capable of considering what is the most important thing in the world.

exactly yes, it's that simple. (no sarcasm)
it's time to wake up

#40 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:19

Opinions.

Nuff said.

Edited by SquigPie, 03 January 2010 - 11:20.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#41 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 17:33

JRK summed up what I wanted to say, assuming the only logical purpose I see for life is knowing who we really are, and that'd be impossible to achieve in an absolute universe. So relativity is the most important thing in the world since it makes our goal of realising who we really are, possible.
Posted Image

#42 General Kirkov

The very model of a modern major general...

• 1749 posts
  • Projects: MOF book!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:46

Humanity and one's faith in it is the most important thing in the world. Its what will lead us to correct the ills that we have inflicted on ourselves and others even if it takes decades or centuries to accomplish.
All Proud Canadians put this Mapple Leaf Ribbon in your Signature! Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Clicking on the picture will bring you to the latest part of the stories.
The Terran Invasions: A New Threat Part 5 is now up!
MOF: Lost and Found Epilogue is now up!

Red Storm, TI-Prologue, TI-Chapter 1, MOF #1, MOF #2, MOF # 3, MOF # 4, MOF # 5, MOF # 6

#43 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:02

What is the most important thing in the world?

Is there one?

To answer the question, I think it's honesty. In a world where everybody lies, it will make one think thrice.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#44 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:41

For you lying is that bad and honesty is most important, for others lying is their job like they can't have a life without it, I think we're talking on a more general perspective of what could be the most important thing in the world...
Posted Image

#45 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts
  • Projects: Situation Zero

Posted 07 January 2010 - 14:45

The most important thing on the world is always changing. Im sure soon people will be all dying from skin cancer due to the ozone layer depleting then we will care , THEN , we will care. :P

#46 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 08 January 2010 - 21:47

My life.

If I am dead I can't feel the world no matter how good or bad it become.

Edited by ΓΛPΤΘΓ, 08 January 2010 - 21:55.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#47 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 22:46

View PostΓΛPΤΘΓ, on 8 Jan 2010, 21:47, said:

My life.

If I am dead I can't feel the world no matter how good or bad it become.

Well i guess thats the logical answer but whats the most important thing excluding yourself?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#48 EdwardMichaels

• 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 16:17

The OP is proposing we post the most important, I.E. the most valuable, thing in the world. In other words, we are being asked to evaluate everything in the world as valuable or not (and in varying degrees) based on a standard of value (without one, evaluations are impossible, and you draw conclusions such as the ones in this thread declaring everything to be relative). Because of the open-ended nature of the question, then, an answer must justify the standard of value it is based on.

When discussing values, it is important to understand that to declare something valuable is to imply that it is of value to something. Inanimate matter is not a candidate for that something, as despite fervent prayers around the world it remains staunchly indifferent. Matter cannot be created or destroyed, but life is a process that can be advanced or destroyed, and as such it is only from the perspective of life forms that values are possible.

From here, we have the daunting task of selecting just which organism's perspective to take in the matter (this is a stop where your common nihilist gets off the train and declares adamantly that everything is relative). However, this task becomes much less daunting when we remember that the choice has already been made for us. We are human beings.

Let me restate that last one: We are human beings. We are not humanity, as humanity does not actually exist except as a blanket term denoting a few billion singular, independent entities. In following, collective values for humanity do not exist any more than collective values for all of earth or all of existence do. Values only exist at the personal, independent level.

The value, then, that is above all others is: Oneself. This value makes all of the others possible.

Everyone who said "me" in this thread may now pat themselves on the back.

Oh, and yes, I'm new here. Hello.

#49 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 20:28

you, good man, deserve a good pat on your back. great first post.

welcome.

Edited by Camille, 26 January 2010 - 20:28.

it's time to wake up

#50 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 26 January 2010 - 20:32

What en epic first post :P greetings EdwardMichaels

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users