Brink

106 replies to this topic

#76 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:04

Nice to know, reminds me of the design principles the Valve had when they were creating Tf2 and when that came out it had great balance and was fun for most people.

Revolver + shotgun all the way for me, what are other people thinking about weapon-wise?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#77 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:12

This game suddenly doesn't sound as appealing 8|

#78 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 21:35

View PostTheDR, on 9 Mar 2011, 23:04, said:

Revolver + shotgun all the way for me, what are other people thinking about weapon-wise?
Well I'm not sure tbh, to me it seems that "weapon of choice" will depend more on how you customise it as opposed to what you are customising, since it will always be a shotgun, a pistol or an automatic. The media we've been shown shows very little difference between automatics as well so I'm not sure what to think yet. Also, since weapons seem to be a crossover between existing parts and mostly fantasy you can't really say "I want an AK-47" since there will likely not be more of it in the game than the handguard or magazine shape. Long story short; I don't think we know nearly enough to answer that question.

(though an AK-47 would've been my weapon of choice probably 8| )
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#79 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 22:27

AK-47? I would of never of guessed! 8|
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#80 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 23:54

View PostWizard, on 9 Mar 2011, 22:12, said:

So they are fixing what kinda sucks in the mass-product shooters these days. So it's less appealing?

#81 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 00:07

View PostSgt. Rho, on 9 Mar 2011, 23:54, said:

So they are fixing what kinda sucks in the mass-product shooters these days. So it's less appealing?

I think know where Wizard is coming from. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you worried that Brink is "dumbing down" to let inexperienced players win even though they suck, allowing easy tactics and simple mechanics to rule the game play, much like some of the tactics in the recent CoD games where they have tried to appeal to the casual market.

However I feel these feeling are unjust, instead of trying to make the game too easy, what they are doing is allowing you to feel like you were in control of every situation so you are capable of learning from your mistakes instead of feeling underpowered and raging at your mate who happens to have played a bazillion hours. Splash damage are a clever company and seemed to have picked the best parts of every FPS on the market, I really doubt they will aim this game at the casual crowd, rather they are making a game for the "hardcore" players but with some easy access where the casual can learn in a less punishing environment so they can become better players quickly while still having fun.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#82 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:34

To start with, if you actually listen to what he says, they are making Brink even more mass product than the mass-product games you're talking about.

Can I ask, wtf is wrong with making a game that involves skill? Why is it such a tragedy that someone has to learn how to play a game? Why do people have to be able to play the game one handed, blind fold and stroking a cat (read using a controller)? We might as well rechristen the FPS genre "Massively Easy Multiplayer Online First Person Casually Hip-Spraying Type Shooter" and have done with it.....

View PostTheDR, on 10 Mar 2011, 0:07, said:

I think know where Wizard is coming from. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you worried that Brink is "dumbing down" to let inexperienced players win even though they suck, allowing easy tactics and simple mechanics to rule the game play, much like some of the tactics in the recent CoD games where they have tried to appeal to the casual market.
To a degree you are very correct here Doc. There were several things in that interview that really put me off Brink. To start with, the fact that >50% of the dev team don't use Iron Sights...... That says it all to me, right there. Splash Damage are quite happy for someone to start up the game and button bash their way through the game without actively identifying their target using the the guns sights, instead they just want you to point in the general direction D8 Not only that, you are given a buttload of abilities to make that even easier!

Next up is knife running. Now the inference I get from the devs is that they hate MW2 and BO, yet they've gone and added in one of the most God awful mechanics of that game to Brink :o he even mentions the words "hyper speed"!! These are two issues that I feel are going to seriously put me off the game, and that is based on a pretty undetailed interview.....

However I feel these feeling are unjust, instead of trying to make the game too easy, what they are doing is allowing you to feel like you were in control of every situation so you are capable of learning from your mistakes instead of feeling underpowered and raging at your mate who happens to have played a bazillion hours.
How does shooting from the hip give you more control of a situation or make you feel any less robbed if you are killed by someone who has played more and is better than you? Better is better and only God given talent or a bazillion hours makes you better. Being able to shoot and kill from the hip isn't going to make a you better player it's just another way to make the player with a bazillion hours of gametime rage that's he's been killed by someone with no skill.

There is a fundamental inequality to games, those who can play a game will win more than those who can't. What the devs are doing in Brink, so it seems, is saying don't bother to put any time into this game as the guy who picks it up at the store, installs it and runs his first match is going to be able to kite your arse off without properly aiming at you.

#83 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:40

Just putting this out there, but the FPS game requiring one of the highest (if not the highest) comparative level of skill doesn't have iron sights at all.

Posted Image

#84 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:06

View PostWizard, on 10 Mar 2011, 10:34, said:

To start with, if you actually listen to what he says, they are making Brink even more mass product than the mass-product games you're talking about.

Can I ask, wtf is wrong with making a game that involves skill? Why is it such a tragedy that someone has to learn how to play a game? Why do people have to be able to play the game one handed, blind fold and stroking a cat (read using a controller)? We might as well rechristen the FPS genre "Massively Easy Multiplayer Online First Person Casually Hip-Spraying Type Shooter" and have done with it.....

At no point did he say the game was easier to play from the hip, he just said there was an option to do that (actually, there is also a "perk" in CoD that makes it easier to fire from the hip). He also didn't say the game is aimed at the casual crowd, it's just makes it easier and more forgiving to new players who want to get better.

To a degree you are very correct here Doc. There were several things in that interview that really put me off Brink. To start with, the fact that >50% of the dev team don't use Iron Sights...... That says it all to me, right there. Splash Damage are quite happy for someone to start up the game and button bash their way through the game without actively identifying their target using the the guns sights, instead they just want you to point in the general direction D8 Not only that, you are given a buttload of abilities to make that even easier!

Next up is knife running. Now the inference I get from the devs is that they hate MW2 and BO, yet they've gone and added in one of the most God awful mechanics of that game to Brink :o he even mentions the words "hyper speed"!! These are two issues that I feel are going to seriously put me off the game, and that is based on a pretty undetailed interview.....

Ok, how is aiming without iron sights any less skilled? It's only become a staple for games in recent years, and as Alias said, Quake (I think thats the game you mean D:) is hard as nails. Also I'm sure they will give using the sights an appropriate advantage compared to firing from the hip. With the abilities you will be loosing the opportunity to use other abilities which could help with other parts of the game, giving you a disadvantage for firing from the hip.

They can't add the CoD knife as they have previously said there are no one hit kills, it will probably take two stabs with a knife and maybe three hits with the melee (also, seriously, no respectable dev team would leave in such an awfully unbalanced game mechanic in a game they are claiming to be balanced).

However I feel these feeling are unjust, instead of trying to make the game too easy, what they are doing is allowing you to feel like you were in control of every situation so you are capable of learning from your mistakes instead of feeling underpowered and raging at your mate who happens to have played a bazillion hours.
How does shooting from the hip give you more control of a situation or make you feel any less robbed if you are killed by someone who has played more and is better than you? Better is better and only God given talent or a bazillion hours makes you better. Being able to shoot and kill from the hip isn't going to make a you better player it's just another way to make the player with a bazillion hours of gametime rage that's he's been killed by someone with no skill.

There is a fundamental inequality to games, those who can play a game will win more than those who can't. What the devs are doing in Brink, so it seems, is saying don't bother to put any time into this game as the guy who picks it up at the store, installs it and runs his first match is going to be able to kite your arse off without properly aiming at you.

No one said that the skilled players would be disadvantaged. Its the inexperienced players that will die often but will know why they died and know that they can get better. Shooting from the hip doesn't mean you have to aim less, it just means you can be more mobile while aiming (and it will definitely have accuracy disadvantages).

One last note, this game isn't CoD and clearly doesn't want to be CoD. If you are looking for an identical experience with the parkour moves then you are looking at the wrong game. The team behind Brink will have spent a lot of time balancing the game, one video saying that it will allow you to play the way you want to play shouldn't put you off the game.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#85 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:10

View PostTheDR, on 10 Mar 2011, 22:06, said:

Ok, how is aiming without iron sights any less skilled? It's only become a staple for games in recent years, and as Alias said, Quake (I think thats the game you mean D:) is hard as nails. Also I'm sure they will give using the sights an appropriate advantage compared to firing from the hip. With the abilities you will be loosing the opportunity to use other abilities which could help with other parts of the game, giving you a disadvantage for firing from the hip.
Counter Strike was what I would've said, but Q3 and UT also have a huge learning curve so are pretty applicable as well.

All of them require a lot of skill and none of them have ironsights.

Posted Image

#86 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 13:18

There is a difference between a game not having iron sights at all and a game having them but their devs being too noob to use them. I think that's what Dan was trying to say. I mean, let's be honest - if a game has iron sights and you don't use them, you suck at aiming, period.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#87 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 13:30

View PostChyros, on 10 Mar 2011, 13:18, said:

There is a difference between a game not having iron sights at all and a game having them but their devs being too noob to use them. I think that's what Dan was trying to say. I mean, let's be honest - if a game has iron sights and you don't use them, you suck at aiming, period.

That it is what I am trying to say.

I know there are games that require skill to play without IS, but those games don't have them and I don't want Brink to be CoD. ADS'ing is not COD specific.

This game looks good, and there are several very good aspects to it, but I get the impression that for all the good they can do, they'll undo with what I've stated before. Let's see...

#88 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 13:32

View PostWizard, on 10 Mar 2011, 15:30, said:

This game looks good, and there are several very good aspects to it, but I get the impression that for all the good they can do, they'll undo with what I've stated before. Let's see...
Yes, I'm considerably less inclined to pre-order it as I was going to before. I want to see more stuff before I do it now, to form a more informed judgment.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#89 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 00:32

New linky or or linky, but lot of info anyway

Edited by Wanderer, 11 March 2011 - 00:33.

#90 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:35

View PostChyros, on 11 Mar 2011, 0:32, said:

Yes, I'm considerably less inclined to pre-order it as I was going to before. I want to see more stuff before I do it now, to form a more informed judgment.

Wouldn't want to do another Black Ops, would we? :D

Spoiler

----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#91 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:07

View Postdeltaepsilon, on 11 Mar 2011, 9:35, said:

View PostChyros, on 11 Mar 2011, 0:32, said:

Wouldn't want to do another Black Ops, would we? :D

Spoiler

Black Ops was a stupid mistake - it being developed by Treyarch was more than enough knowledge to know I never should've bought that game. Another two and a half hours work worth of money down the drain.

Edited by Chyros, 11 March 2011 - 08:09.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#92 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 15 March 2011 - 18:15

New trailer! Its looking good, tho its been said before Im really digging the timesplitters-ish look they have going on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#93 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 19:58

I can't stress enough how much I like the character design on this game, ever since their first cinematic trailer it's been great. I want to have a go at the gameplay first to get a better vision though, since I have trouble getting to the bottom of this. Nonetheless, nice trailer |8 .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#94 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 20:27

Somewhere in youtube there's a 3 part video where they go through one map (container city if I remember right)

found it

Edited by Wanderer, 15 March 2011 - 20:58.

#95 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 20:33

View PostWanderer, on 15 Mar 2011, 22:27, said:

Somewhere in youtube there's a 3 part video where they go through one map (container city if I remember right)
Yes but I don't think just vids will cover it this time |8 .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#96 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:56

http://www.thebrinkf...hp?p=3307#p3307

Someone's impressions of brink from PAX east

#97 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 16:58

Just a new video to start some discussion again. I got Brink recently and I am looking forward to playing it, hopefully with some FS guys :sly:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#98 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 04 May 2011 - 16:59

Yeah its looking good, I pre-ordered it the other day so we'll have some games

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 17:16

Wow. So Bethesda decided it was in their best interests to jack up the local Steam price to $90 AU.

To put that into perspective, I can get a local version of the collectors edition in hardcopy for cheaper than that, or more a little over half that price from overseas.

/notgoingtosupportregionalpricing

Posted Image

#100 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 17:38

I'm still enthusiastic but I need more input before I buy. If people could tell me their experiences with the game that'd be great. I also hope they have a demo so I can see for myself a bit - the game's still a bit abstract for me and I don't feel terribly like shelling out some money for something I don't know, especially now.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users