Rise of the Reds: Long time no see!

31 replies to this topic

#26 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 19:12

View PostShock, on 2 Jan 2010, 19:06, said:

The 'fatherland' phrase is indeed a bit out of place. It should have been 'your fatherland' as it's aimed at the country of the General itself, Britain, instead of appearing nationalistic like it does now. The ECA is mainly military in nature. The individual governments the countries still retain most of their local power and their nationality. This isn't the United States of Europe, and this letter isn't written in name of the whole.

Slightly different graphical styles in skinning isn't always avoidable with a large contingent of different skinners. I can't speak for the skins itself as I am not the artist, but the criticism on them will be noted. :)

Regards 'fatherland', I doubt you'd get many (if any) Brits calling it such, it was the name used for the Third Reich, as well as a whole book on the subject: http://en.wikipedia....herland_(novel) :) I'd have gone with something such as 'homeland' or better yet, 'upon your return to Blighty' (a highly popular phrase from WW2 for home).

And, to quote you Wikipedia:

Assuming a specific Nazi usage of the term "Vaterland" (which in fact never existed), the direct English translation "fatherland" featured in news reports associated with Nazi Germany and in domestic anti-Nazi propaganda during World War II. As a result, the English word is now associated with the Nazi government of Germany[citation needed] (unlike in Germany itself, where the word means simply "homeland"). The word is not used often in post-World War II English unless one wishes to invoke the Nazis, or one is translating literally from a foreign language where that language's equivalent of "fatherland" does not bear Nazi connotations. The word Motherland in modern English carries similar associations with the Soviet Union.
Prior to Nazism, however, the term was used throughout Germanic language countries without negative connotations (e.g. in Hermann Broch's novel The Sleepwalkers), or often to refer to their homelands much as the word "motherland" does. For example, "Wien Neêrlands Bloed", national anthem of the Netherlands between 1815 and 1932, makes extensive and conspicuous use of the parallel Dutch word. In most European countries it is still the norm to use the term "fatherland" and many would be offended if it was in any way compared with Nazism.

Edited by AJ, 02 January 2010 - 19:17.

For there can be no death without life.

#27 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 19:21

That's unfortunate, but I did not know that was the case in Britain. I didn't think much of that because in the Netherlands, ''Vaderland'' isn't associated with Nazi Germany and thus does not carry such a heavy load, as is also explained in your wikipedia quote. Had I used another country than Britain it wouldn't be a problem, I see.

Edited by Shock, 02 January 2010 - 19:26.

Posted Image

#28 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 19:26

It is just an unfortunate coincidence, all the better for your next update methinks :)
For there can be no death without life.

#29 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 02 January 2010 - 22:43

Hmm, does appear to be an unfortunate coincidence. But I'm afriad that upon reading those words I was seeing images of red banners and black uniforms... It's probably an association specific to the British, or perhaps to those whose first language is English.

#30 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 23:07

In some unintended way, that viewpoint you got is related to some obscure references hidden within that letter :)
Posted Image

#31 DerKrieger

Hillbilly Gun Nut

• 1758 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 23:08

Lookin' good so far! And nice to let the people here know about the updates to the mod! :)

View PostThe Joker, on 2 Jan 2010, 1:50, said:

Aside from the slight breach in professionalism in quoting Murphies laws of combat (which exists primarily as a joke), very, very nice looking stuff. Keep up the good work!

Eh, it's an OK and fitting quote. I would have chosen another one myself, something like:

"Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all." - George Washington

"If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War. " - George Washington

“The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.” - Ulysses S. Grant

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way." - Gen. George S. Patton

"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who lead that gains the victory." - Gen. George S. Patton

"When in doubt, attack." - Gen. George S. Patton

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." - Gen. George S. Patton

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting. " - Gen. Curtis LeMay.

"We're going to bomb them back into the Stone Age." - Gen. Curtis LeMay.

"If we maintain our faith in God, love of freedom, and superior global air power, the future [of the US] looks good." - Gen. Curtis LeMay

Edited by DerKrieger, 02 January 2010 - 23:09.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 23:16

None of those would have been really catchy, fitting or cool enough though, I think you can do better than that. The spirit of in-game USA needs to be captured and the one that's there now does that very well.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users