Photos

11 replies to this topic

#1 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 03 January 2010 - 13:27

To begin, here are some photos from my trip to the Croatian island of Hvar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just a few random samples. I'll post more if you like it :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

#2 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 14:04

I love the third one down, it's a shame it doesn't have more shadow definition, that would make it look great.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 14:29

Something tells me 'Fast Food Market' is... :)
Posted Image

#4 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 21:16

I remember you showing me the 2nd photo down, wonderful capture that. The 3rd down looks of postcard quality, something you might find in an Italian memorabilia shop. The last photo, though of a picturesque scene, is marred a bit by fuzzy outlines. The flowers' colour and defining lines are both a bit on the bright side and slightly out of focus. Trouble this more to the pixel count on the camera than the photographer.
Posted Image

#5 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:51

I have the Olympus Stylus (or Miju) 790 SW. It has many nice features, but unfortunately a precious few are actually related to photography :shakehead: It can make a really nice picture, but only if conditions are optimal - take it to a summer vacation and you won't be dissapointed. However, when it comes to color range, depth of shadow, sharpness, manual configurability... You can best forget about it.

Most of my life I've used film cameras, and even then simple point-and-shooters. I was hoping to move on to an actual DSLR, but I have two issues. First one is, well, money. The other is my own lack of experience. Is there anyone out there who can give me a hint towards a camera that is, say, around 400€ and can make quality pictures, but is not so feature intensive. I can adapt to a lot of features, but I'm not sure I'll need them all...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

#6 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:00

You can always get one of those "high-end" digicams. The Canon Powershot S90 is a good example of a camera with lots of customizable options for manual shooting. On Amazon France it costs 420 Euro. Otherwise, I suggest you save up a little more and get something like a Pentax K-x or a Nikon D5000 as an entry dSLR which isn't too expensive (probably 100 more than the canon). Also by the second half of the year, we should see more of the Micro Four Thirds cameras released by either Panasonic or Olympus which make for near dSLR quality in a much smaller package. Right now they suffer from a slightly high price imo.
Posted Image

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:26

View PostJRK, on 5 Jan 2010, 12:00, said:

You can always get one of those "high-end" digicams. The Canon Powershot S90 is a good example of a camera with lots of customizable options for manual shooting. On Amazon France it costs 420 Euro. Otherwise, I suggest you save up a little more and get something like a Pentax K-x or a Nikon D5000 as an entry dSLR which isn't too expensive (probably 100 more than the canon). Also by the second half of the year, we should see more of the Micro Four Thirds cameras released by either Panasonic or Olympus which make for near dSLR quality in a much smaller package. Right now they suffer from a slightly high price imo.

For the Powershot you are wasting your money. You can get a DSLR Canon 1000D for about £50 more and that is substantially better than the Powershot which is a hyrid and always a bad idea. Also, if you get a Pentax I will ban you :shakehead: Nikon or Canon. Never, EVER, anything else.

@ photos, not bad for what you're using :read:

#8 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 15:02

View PostWizard, on 5 Jan 2010, 14:26, said:

For the Powershot you are wasting your money. You can get a DSLR Canon 1000D for about £50 more and that is substantially better than the Powershot which is a hyrid and always a bad idea. Also, if you get a Pentax I will ban you :shakehead: Nikon or Canon. Never, EVER, anything else.

@ photos, not bad for what you're using 8|

Your mentality of Nikon or Canon is passé :read: Panasonic and Olympus both make good cams. Sony relies too much on the looks of the cam more than anything else though.
And I suggested the Powershot because it is simpler to use than an SLR but delivers some interesting options.
Posted Image

#9 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 15:11

View PostJRK, on 5 Jan 2010, 15:02, said:

View PostWizard, on 5 Jan 2010, 14:26, said:

@ photos, not bad for what you're using 8|

Your mentality of Nikon or Canon is passé :read: Panasonic and Olympus both make good cams. Sony relies too much on the looks of the cam more than anything else though.
And I suggested the Powershot because it is simpler to use than an SLR but delivers some interesting options.

Not DSLRs they don't. Neither does Sony. Any professional or amateur review will always put a Canon or Nikon DSLR above other brand DSLRs. There maybe 1 in a thousand that is better than the Canon/Nikon equivalent. But they are as rare as rocking horse shit.

And as for simplicity there is a setting called full auto, which is about all the hybrid gives you anyway. It also takes about 200 shots to get used to the entry level DSLRs. For the difference in price between the Powershot and DSLR entry you may as well learn how to really take a photo and use a camera.

#10 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 15:18

Ah I thought you were referring to cameras in general. In the dSLR range, Nikon and Canon are indeed best though the Sony Alphas aren't too shabby I suppose (Konica-Minolta) and I suggested the Pentax because my friend has one and it's surprisingly good for a non-Canikon dSLR. Only problem is the lenses here.
Posted Image

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 15:29

If we're talking handy cameras (anything non-brick size is handy to me :shakehead: ) then tbh the only difference is how many widgits you want and how many times you have to charge the battery because of the huge view screen :read: They are all pretty much like for like these days. I'd even go so far as to say that the market is actually flooded. There are no clear leaders in the field, which is a negative for me as there is no standard to drive for. May as well use your mobile these days or buy a DSLR 8|

#12 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:39

View PostJRK, on 5 Jan 2010, 10:18, said:

Ah I thought you were referring to cameras in general. In the dSLR range, Nikon and Canon are indeed best though the Sony Alphas aren't too shabby I suppose (Konica-Minolta) and I suggested the Pentax because my friend has one and it's surprisingly good for a non-Canikon dSLR. Only problem is the lenses here.

For the record's sake, Konica-Minolta & Sony are now one in the same, as Sony did a little wooing and put a ring on K&M's many faceted finger(s). It should also be noted that Sony's Alpha cameras aren't as bad as the reviews would have one believing. They do pack a lot of features for the paperback, and Sony offers lenses from Zeiss, which anyone who's up to snuff on cameras or any other field that is optic related will tell you, Zeiss IS lenses. The sticker shock is a bit of hard tack to swallow (you may also need to hibernate a while), but they are arguably the best lenses around. Not to say that you couldn't buy a Zeiss for a Canon or Nikon or what have you, but Sony's website does have them listed as "optional equipment". Speaking of camera accessories, aux. flashes start to come into play, as they're more manageable and softer than the harsher, stock flash. Sony has thought ahead and developed a flash that swivels side-to-side for added convenience when shooting in portrait. Why no other camera manufacturer has done this is beyond me.

Me, I'm partial to Nikon, since I do own a brilliant bit of kit from them. If you're in the market for something more upscale, but your wallet is wallowing in its rather deflated ego, or every time you look at something that costs more than $1, consider the Nikon Coolpix L100 or P6000. Nikon doesn't seem to be as widely used, however, they have developed the "Holy Grail", if you will, of imaging technology, known as "full-frame". Coupled with a resolution of 12 mega-pixels, Nikon's higher end cameras, such as the D3, achieve an image quality that is second to none.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users