The Warzone 2100 Project

7 replies to this topic

#1 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 21:01

You may or may not of heard, but Eidos released the the source code for their fantastic game Warzone 2100.
Fans of the game were quick to take notice, and an open source project started to compile the code into a workable game.
After much work, the game was finally playable again, and many bugs in the original engine were fixed that couldn't have been done before.

In Warzone 2100 you command an organization known as "The Project" in a battle to rebuild society during the aftermath of a nuclear disaster that has destroyed civilization as we know it.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
(Click to go the main website's screenshots section.)

(Click play to see the game's intro sequence.)

I myself had been a fan of the game when it was first released. The originality of the game really sets it apart from others in the genre.
After all, you don't get to design your own units in many RTS games, and I've yet to see the concept in another RTS.
The game has a working lobby system, and it's easy to find others to play with if you have the same version. As you might guess, this makes it very easy to play with your friends.

The game's tech system is very expansive, and there are over 400 researchable items.
These range from simple upgrades such as new engines and better cannon rounds to entirely new weapons and superweapons.
It's pretty fun to start out with nothing but wheels and machineguns and find yourself teched up to orbital bombardment systems an hour later.

Of course, all this means a battle can last a long time if you don't start out attacking. Defensive structures are numerous in this game.
They can range from simple machinegun towers to massive howitzers with three barrels of fun.
There are even towers to make you job a bit easier. You can assign bombers and artillery units to radars so that they fire upon what the radar sees. This makes it far easier to coordinate a large attack with artillery support!

The game is truly unique, and I enjoy regularly playing it. I hope to see the rest of you on the battlefield, but until then you can check out the game on its website: http://wz2100.net/

This is Hobbesy signing out!

#2 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 22:13

earth 2140?
it's time to wake up

#3 Dispenser

Casual

• 84 posts
  • Projects: Doing drawinations

Posted 03 February 2010 - 18:03

Camille, on 2 Feb 2010, 0:13, said:

earth 2140?

I thought so as well when I first tried this, it's so similar to Earth 2150, yet doesn't look like Eidos had anything to do with Earth 2150 (atleast it doesn't say so on the CD case, only has SSI, Mattel and Topware on it)

I mean, both games have modular units you put together, though in WZ2100 you choose three parts (chassis, drive, weapon) and in E2150 two (chassis, weapon), the interface for it looks pretty much the same for both. It's great fun in both games all the same :P

#4 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 21:09

It's quite a coincidence how similar the two games have always been. Warzone was released only a few months before 2150.

#5 Dispenser

Casual

• 84 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 21:44

Yeah... the unit system, the nuclear catastrophy backstory, the way you use trucks to build things (except for Luna in E2150), researching mid-mission... they both have nearly the same 'feel' to them on the outside, but they're still different... I never really did like the finite resources in E2150 that much, though it makes sense from the story point of view.

It's just too bad I've been spoiled by the Supreme Commander and Homeworld series and now both of them feel so clunky to play... I can't live without tactical overview anymore :(

#6 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 22:42

My biggest gripe with this game is when I right click something. It always messes up my radar overview or changes the size of a window, and I'm horribly OCD about that.

#7 Dispenser

Casual

• 84 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 23:58

I hate that too, when the mouse drag sensitivity for camera movement is too high... speaking of windows, E2150 had that funky thing where you could split the screen up to 3 or 4 parts I think. Really killed my fps and wasn't very helpful, but looked interesting in theory.

#8 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 00:35

I found it useful for coordinating attacks between your air/ground forces. It was hard to set up though, and grouping was more useful for that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users