139 replies to this topic

#1 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:31

http://store.steampo....com/news/3559/

Its about time, now valve just need to announce or confirm HL2 EP3 and i'll be a very happy bunny.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:46

Why did they underline so many letters on their post ? Oo
d-r-a-t-t-m-a-n-n-h-0-n-e-e
Is there a hidden message or something ? :D

Also, these are very good news indeed, I hope they'll make this one a bit longer than the first tho :P

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#3 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 13:09

If your wondering, here is the new ending in Portal 1 that they added in via a recent patch.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 23:20

Apparently it goes a lot further. Radios have been spread around the game, and some of them spit out morse code at certain points or even SSTV signals (images encoded in audio signals).

http://www.shacknews...article.x/62575

Here's the full set of sounds:

Try it out for yourself if you have an SSTV decoding program. The images revealed a USA phone number which some people with dialup modems (seriously, who still HAS those?!) were able to dial into. This then revealed a series of ASCII art pictures. Search for 'Valve BBS' or 'Portal BBS' on Youtube for more.

EDIT: Here are all the images embedded in the radio transmissions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Portal-2...SSTV-Images.png

Edited by CodeCat, 06 March 2010 - 23:34.

CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#5 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 00:02

Aye, I was doing the achievement for those radios before.

Some of them are absolute bitches.
You almost did, didn't you?

#6 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 15:20

Some sweet new mag scans!
http://img130.images...i/61465046.jpg/
http://img163.images...i/91301104.jpg/
http://img517.images...i/51924897.jpg/
http://img408.images...i/41663763.jpg/
http://img194.images...i/25116965.jpg/
http://img148.images...i/61988149.jpg/

Information from mag scans:

- Portal was a 'trial'. Size and assets specifically kept minimal. Had no idea it would be this popular.
- Portal was a 'test bed', Portal 2 is a 'game'.
- GlaDOS returns as the antagonist.
- Chell returns, and we play as her.
- Portal 2 takes place a long time after the original. Hundreds of years, in fact. The complex has overgrown.
- Those orbs seen at the end of Portal are personality orbs. They've cornered off sections of the labs as their own, and are concerned about the decaying state of the complex.
- The opening sounds **** awesome. Im a bit **** I spoiled it for myself.
- Portal gun remains unchanged.
- Physics will now be part of portal puzzle solving. EG: A vent that sucks air in can be combined with a portal to 'suck' from a different location.
- "Paint" mechanic, various liquid substances that cause some reaction. For example, in the demo shown a orange substance on the floor caused Chell to be propelled upwards. Using portals you can apply these 'paints' to other areas of the level for puzzle solving.
- Reflection cubes will allow Chell to reflect lazers for various puzzles.
- The co-op campaign will have you playing as two bipedal robots. The like to hold hands.
- Splitscreen for people playing on the console, and 'picture in picture' available for those playing remote co-op (eg: PC). This allows you to easily communicate with the other player and combine efforts for puzzle solving.

Source

Holy hell this game is going to be awesome.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#7 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 07 March 2010 - 15:28

Wow that really does sound interesting, may need to give the first a go :o

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 15:29

Nice :P . I really liked the first game despite it being very short and very easy: I'll definitely get the second one :D .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 15:55

Bipedal robots, eh? Reminds me of when you first complete the course with the turrets and it says it was designed for military androids or something.
Posted Image

#10 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 16:39

View PostPav3d, on 7 Mar 2010, 15:28, said:

Wow that really does sound interesting, may need to give the first a go :o

Yes please do, its a great game.

View PostChyros, on 7 Mar 2010, 15:29, said:

Nice :P . I really liked the first game despite it being very short and very easy: I'll definitely get the second one :D .

The first was just a test shoved in to make the Orange Box bigger, Portal 2 is a whole game by itself.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#11 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 07 March 2010 - 16:52

Co-op campaign sounds sweet :P
Posted Image

#12 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 17:03

Another game coming out of my student loan, taxpayers money being put to good use I say :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 18:29

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hobbesy, 07 March 2010 - 18:30.

#14 Foxhound

Ain't no rest for the wicked.

• Gold Member
  • 2027 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 18:32

^HERESY

Although, sounds good. Hundreds of years in the future, though? I suppose we won't be seeing the portal gun in Ep3, then.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 18:56

View PostFoxhound, on 7 Mar 2010, 18:32, said:

^HERESY

Although, sounds good. Hundreds of years in the future, though? I suppose we won't be seeing the portal gun in Ep3, then.

Unless Portal was set a 30ish years before HL1.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#16 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 19:08

View PostHobbesy, on 7 Mar 2010, 18:29, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did you miss the hints that Valve will be supporting Mac?

http://kotaku.com/5484948/valve-teases-upc...t-not-so-subtly
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 19:16

Yes, I saw them. That simply confirms that Steam is being ported to the Mac.

On another note, I am boycotting Portal 2 until Gabe shares the contents of his mini-fridge and buys all of us first class tickets to VALVe so we can play the game first!

Edited by Hobbesy, 07 March 2010 - 19:19.

#18 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 07 March 2010 - 20:35

What's wrong with Mac support? I think it's high time game developers began better supporting the platform especially in the less conventional games.
Posted Image

#19 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 21:56

Postal 2, just got to be kidding me.... thats freaking awesome :P The orginal gave me tons of laughter and the puzzles are fun to solve, if the sequal gets anywhere near the awesomeness of the orginal I'll buy it definetly, and then there will be cake!
Posted Image

#20 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:24

VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD

June 9, 2010 -- Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's delegate to the EU's Valve Time Studies Group, Doug Lombardi.

Epic-winner valve time-recuperation sore delay announcement.
Posted Image

#21 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 13:58

View PostTrivmvirate, on 10 Jun 2010, 14:24, said:

VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD

June 9, 2010 -- Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's delegate to the EU's Valve Time Studies Group, Doug Lombardi.

Epic-winner valve time-recuperation sore delay announcement.
Lol, nice one :D . Guess we'll have to wait a bit more then :D .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:39

http://www.gametrail...portal-2/101563

Pretty awesome |8

#23 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:49

Looks brilliant.

Posted Image

#24 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:29

Looks fantastic! I'm liking the whole overgrown look |8 .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:43

View PostChyros, on 16 Jun 2010, 9:29, said:

Looks fantastic! I'm liking the whole overgrown look :D .

Ditto, reason for this is that it's supposed to be set 100s of years into the future. And wahey, more GLADOS moosic!

EDIT: You monster.... |8

Edited by AjPod, 16 June 2010 - 10:44.

For there can be no death without life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users