Math for Game Design?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Umbrella Secrets

Experimenting

• 658 posts
  • Projects: I'm with the Mapper Guild Projects

Posted 09 March 2010 - 23:55

I was just wondering about something and I wasn't sure were to post this. I'am trying to go into the game development career and I was just wondering do you need a lot of math for game design? I am not a math person, I don't totally suck at it though. I've been really focused on this career and I'm worried that math is going to get in the way.

Edited by Umbrella Corp., 09 March 2010 - 23:59.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:10

funny as this is something I've been wondering about too :rolleyes:

all i can say is that it's probably highly dependant on which role you wish to fulfil within a game company. if you choose general game design i fear maths will be included, unless the school that offers it has varying class packages. (here in Belgium for example you have a degree of choice concerning additional classes, like maths. though not everywhere).
it's time to wake up

#3 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:32

You will have to deal with maths at some stage, but unless you're writing something to be 100% realistic it's not terribly important. Primary areas to look into are linear algebra (vectors/matrixes), sound/light behaviour (acoustics, optics) and sound/image processing.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#4 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:38

Of course, where vectors are involved knowing Vector Calculus is right around the corner. Once you know how to do standard single variable integration/differentiation, using vectors isn't that much more difficult.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#5 Umbrella Secrets

Experimenting

• 658 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:40

Oh, okay because when it comes to geometry I'm not that bad at it, but algebra just makes me want to pull my hair out. Matrixes though are really easy. Its funny because I thought it was going to be all precalc.

I want to go into map making for game design and maybe work on games like Call of Duty.

Edited by Umbrella Corp., 10 March 2010 - 02:42.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:07

Artificial Intelligence?
I also not really good in calculus but now I'm taking math and computer degree. math is a basic knowledge that can be applied almost everywhere. it also really helps in IT issues/problems, not only game design.

#7 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 10 March 2010 - 17:52

For visual and graphical design, math is almost unimportant bar some geometry. For signals though, you need math all the way up to calc II and ODEs as well as Fourier Series and other engineering math topics. Engine design requires discrete math and logic as well as algorithm design. All in all, for anything not art-related, get into Electrical/Computer Engineering at university.
Posted Image

#8 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 18:24

I don't think engineering is going to help you understand game development, though. Game development is at a much higher level than raw circuitry. The days of optimised assembly code are mostly over nowadays, so there is no reason to go any lower than a mid-level language like C++ or C.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#9 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 18:38

Well computer engineering helps alot in the physics aspect as well as relating to hardware better. I only mentioned Electrical because many universities lump the two together.
Posted Image

#10 Umbrella Secrets

Experimenting

• 658 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:21

What if you want to go into just the art of gaming for an example like after they finish the engine and you just have to make maps lets say for online multiplayer? Doing the sky and the trees or making oceans...something like that?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:17

Yeah in that case just really basic arithmetic and geometry. Maybe some linear algebra too for vector graphics. It's simple enough for most people in humanities majors.
Posted Image

#12 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:59

If you want to be real good in symmetry and geometry modelling vectors would be a good thing to know for logics.

On a side note, I do think mathematics is going to be more important for the art design as well in the future. This is because of stuff like Procedural generated content (textures & geometry) which are not stored in the gamefiles but created on the fly by mathematical algorithms. Being able to stuff all of your art like they did in Roboblitz and create a game thats made up of megabytes rather than terabytes, or new graphics technology like raytracing and point based graphics.

I think that, if you're young now and want to get into game developing, you're gonna need some more math than what is used in current development.

Edited by Shock, 11 March 2010 - 18:50.

Posted Image

#13 Umbrella Secrets

Experimenting

• 658 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 21:09

I'am a senior right now in high school and I'm taking algebra II, but I guess I just have to kick ass in college with math.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:27

Math doesn't have to be hard. The key to it is adequate practice. DO solve the assigned problems the prof gives you (or at least a good portion of them).
Posted Image

#15 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:57

View PostUmbrella Corp., on 12 Mar 2010, 22:09, said:

I'am a senior right now in high school and I'm taking algebra II, but I guess I just have to kick ass in college with math.

Wow, really? Most people an my school took Algebra II as sophomores.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#16 Umbrella Secrets

Experimenting

• 658 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 15:48

View PostThe Machman, on 13 Mar 2010, 20:57, said:

I had to take Algebra pt. 1 and 2 because I have auditory processing disorder. It doesn't mean that I'am stupid though, I just have trouble with directions.

Edited by Umbrella Corp., 14 March 2010 - 16:16.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 20:04

View PostThe Machman, on 13 Mar 2010, 20:57, said:

I'm in Algebra II because I took Geometry before I took Algebra. We also only need three credits in math where I live. :v

That said, I personally can't stress enough how far I've gotten just from starting to pay attention in my math classes. I can find ways to apply almost everything I've learned in them when it comes to games.

#18 Umbrella Secrets

Experimenting

• 658 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:58

Well I was just passing through this forum and I think I'm going to return to it..b/c I've been busy over the months and getting ready for college and everything.

To your reply: I've heard that when it comes to making games it is mostly talent that the companies look for (but you also have to have knowledge) I'm getting ready to start my first year at a community college as a freshman and I'm taking Communication Design and then maybe game Design degree. I here math is a lot better to learn in college than high school...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 16:50

All math needs is some practice to be honest. Do a good number of the assigned exercises and you'll find you have few problems. Unless your prof is a douche.
Posted Image

#20 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 21:42

As long as you stay completely within design and do not move into programming, it's pretty unlikely you'll need any more maths than basic arithmetic.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users