Change TF2 Server Policy

40 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom Maps on the TF2 server (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we want a maximum of 5 custom maps on the TF2 server?

1. Yes (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. No (11 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

Do we want the custom maps to be interchangeable? (Have the ability to rotate each week or month or something)

1. Yes (11 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

2. No (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

Do we want to vote on the adding of custom maps before they get added in?

1. Yes (15 votes [78.95%])

Percentage of vote: 78.95%

2. No (4 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:42

View PostFoxhound, on 15 Jun 2010, 22:11, said:

View PostCodeCat, on 15 Jun 2010, 8:35, said:

That's no one's fault but their own, then. 8|

But it still doesn't get around the point that the ingame voting is not necessarily indicative of what people actually WANT.

Indeed, half the time I have voted option 3 due to me try to switch to Axtinguisher (and failing due to the vote)

Also, because of voting happens in late game, if the match is close and I would rather not waste time revoting as it does take away time doing nothing, instead of toasting people.

Edited by ΓΛPTΘΓ, 16 June 2010 - 16:46.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#27 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:54

I wish I could edit the poll to also include: "Add a "revote" option", but that would mean nobody could vote for that who has already voted for the other options.
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#28 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:41

I wonder if it would be possible to extend the revote period. That might be useful.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#29 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 00:03

View PostΓΛPTΘΓ, on 16 Jun 2010, 17:42, said:

But it still doesn't get around the point that the ingame voting is not necessarily indicative of what people actually WANT.

Indeed, half the time I have voted option 3 due to me try to switch to Axtinguisher (and failing due to the vote)

Also, because of voting happens in late game, if the match is close and I would rather not waste time revoting as it does take away time doing nothing, instead of toasting people.

You people should be using mouse click shortcuts on any extra buttons you have, or even the scroll wheel if you've mastered that with speed like me.
it avoids problems like this.

And @ Foxhound on this, how effective the voting system currently is: It still sufficiently provides the player with the option to select the map they want, if they dismiss this and press a random number, or change weapon while the vote screen was up, then it's their own fault, and they should have voted carefully.

You should be aware that the voting selection is up before trying to change weapon.

If you actually WANT a map, then you vote for it, if you dont give a shit about the vote screen, then it would indicate that you dont give a shit what map to play on.
Posted Image

#30 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 00:16

View PostCodeCat, on 16 Jun 2010, 18:41, said:

I wonder if it would be possible to extend the revote period. That might be useful.

Or perhaps an rtv option (I assume it's not the same as a revote)
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#31 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:28

View PostDuo Maxwell, on 17 Jun 2010, 1:03, said:

View PostΓΛPTΘΓ, on 16 Jun 2010, 17:42, said:

And @ Foxhound on this, how effective the voting system currently is: It still sufficiently provides the player with the option to select the map they want, if they dismiss this and press a random number, or change weapon while the vote screen was up, then it's their own fault, and they should have voted carefully.

You should be aware that the voting selection is up before trying to change weapon.

And what about those who actually vote for their maps, but can never play them cause the others keep voting for the wrong maps because of the weapon switch?
Also, yeah it's very easy to realize that there is an annoying voting pop up which just appeared when you were actually toasting a heavy then trying to switch to axtinguisher to finish him off...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#32 Nid

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:20

View PostCJ, on 17 Jun 2010, 9:28, said:

And what about those who actually vote for their maps, but can never play them cause the others keep voting for the wrong maps because of the weapon switch?
Also, yeah it's very easy to realize that there is an annoying voting pop up which just appeared when you were actually toasting a heavy then trying to switch to axtinguisher to finish him off...

I have never had trouble noticing the map selection, you should be more aware of your interface.

And sorry dudes but you got out voted by people who don't care, take that problem up with them. But thanks for voting anyway.

Ah, democracy is sweet. 8|

Edited by Duo Maxwell, 17 June 2010 - 10:21.

Posted Image

#33 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 17 June 2010 - 16:53

View PostDuo Maxwell, on 17 Jun 2010, 11:20, said:

View PostCJ, on 17 Jun 2010, 9:28, said:

I have never had trouble noticing the map selection, you should be more aware of your interface.

And sorry dudes but you got out voted by people who don't care, take that problem up with them. But thanks for voting anyway.

Ah, democracy is sweet. 8|

Well TBH it's no more of a problem for me since I changed the whole game controls with the help of the CFG scripts making all of them usable with the mouse only, but still, sometimes the vote shows up in the middle of a big melee, which leads to mis-voting for all those who use the numbers to switch weapons :D

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#34 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:42

View PostDuo Maxwell, on 17 Jun 2010, 0:03, said:

You people should be using mouse click shortcuts on any extra buttons you have, or even the scroll wheel if you've mastered that with speed like me.

If you actually WANT a map, then you vote for it, if you dont give a shit about the vote screen, then it would indicate that you dont give a shit what map to play on.

Right so now its my fault that I didnt bought a mouse with a dozen buttons and dont play the same way as you. By this logic I might aswell blame you for my accidental vote because you called a vote in the middle of a round.
Posted Image

#35 Nid

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:08

View PostTehKiller, on 18 Jun 2010, 10:42, said:

View PostDuo Maxwell, on 17 Jun 2010, 0:03, said:

Right so now its my fault that I didnt bought a mouse with a dozen buttons and dont play the same way as you. By this logic I might aswell blame you for my accidental vote because you called a vote in the middle of a round.

You need several players to rock the vote, and thus call in another map vote, which solidifies the feature's use even more, meaning that not just anyone can call to change the map.
By that logic it's not a single person's fault at all that you can't use your interface correctly, nor keep up with the fact that half the people in the server want to change the map. If you see the map change coming, which isn't hard, then you would prepare yourself for the vote interface to appear.

Furthermore, use your scroll wheel; it's an ancient technology, everyone has one, and it takes a second to flick up to select another weapon, and a click to change, you may not even need to click depending on your settings.

Edited by Duo Maxwell, 18 June 2010 - 11:10.

Posted Image

#36 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:38

I have a scroll wheel and i don't use it to change weapons as that half a second difference compared to pressing the keys can kill you as an axeblast Pyro. However, this topic that we have somehow got to is far from the original point.

The server has too many custom maps that we don't play. The solution we have so far is to create a new quality control system and enforce a dynamic custom map selection with a custom map limit, however the poll suggests that just over half of the voters appose that idea. The system can't stay as it is, we need something different which is more acceptable and clearly half of the poll voters agree. People who apposed the original idea need to suggest a revised version of the first idea or a completely new one.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#37 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 13:14

AAAAANDDDD Improve the download speed of the server so that people wont log off once they see the map isnt downloaded even after 30 mins
Posted Image

#38 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 13:20

View PostTehKiller, on 18 Jun 2010, 14:14, said:

AAAAANDDDD Improve the download speed of the server so that people wont log off once they see the map isnt downloaded even after 30 mins

We cannot improve a download speed from a server, the best bet is to sort it out via HTTP, which we will look into doing.
For there can be no death without life.

#39 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 22:32

Which is what I meant...I dont care how or what as long as its downloading faster than it is atm then I am happy.

Edited by TehKiller, 18 June 2010 - 22:32.

Posted Image

#40 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 00:36

There haven't been any posts for a while now. Can it be concluded we have reached consensus on the subject of custom maps on the Team Fortress 2 server? If so, can these changes be brought into effect?

The following change software-wise has been proposed:
- Change from direct download from the gameserver to a remote HTTP dedicated to the uploading of game maps

The following changes policy wise have been proposed:
- A change in map flexibility: Interchangeable maps with a set map limit in order to keep the server orderly
- The ability to vote on the adding of a map before it will be put on the server
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#41 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:25

Gentlemen, an answer to your prayers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users