Veteran's Retreat

149 replies to this topic

#1 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:28

Fallout Studios members.

It is today that I come before you with news. It is after a period of great discussion and with much heartache that we have decided that the administrative team should be reduced in size. Thus, as of this moment, after well over 5 years of serving this community, CodeCat has been asked to relinquish his position. It was with great difficulty that we reached this decision, but it has been made aware to some of you that Code's position has occasionally caused rifts amongst the community and with other communities. With this decision, we feel that we can continue with our community as before, and allow Code a much needed rest. Lest anyone forget, CodeCat has been a member longer than most of us can remember, and he has done a great deal for this community. For this, we would like to thank him, as his perseverance has been quite astonishing at times.

Furthermore, it is with great regret that I must also announce the resignation of Nem from his position as moderator. Rl is a real bitch, and it catches up with us all, and seems to have done so for Nem. It is a real shame, but we understand it, and hold no grudges against him for having done so. Furthermore, we would thank him for the time and energy he added to this forum, and we know that he will contribute to the forum beyond his status.

Finally, due to this, we have decided to in turn, to turn to another veteran. With this, we would like to re-introduce Nuker as a member of our team, as a global moderator.

We realise the changes are coming thick and fast, and we hope you can appreciate our actions. We would also like to inform you that we are currently working on several big projects for this forum, the details of which we cannot reveal right now, but rest assured, we are planning for the future right now.
For there can be no death without life.

#2 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:30

Edited by Hobbesy, 07 July 2010 - 09:06.

#3 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:36

I'd like to congratulate Nuker with his promotion back to his old position again, and also congratulate the others mentioned in the original post with their retirement.
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#4 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:38

Congratulations, Nuker :sly: . Guess you had it coming :P .

And have fun with the gold, Code. I can only say I enjoy the freedoms of the new position, myself :read: .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:38

Oh my.

Well, changes are a-happening, and it seems some of us are left behind. To those, I say farewell, and good luck.
Nevertheless, some of us are also racing ahead, and to those I say congrats' and good luck aswell.
You almost did, didn't you?

#6 Failure

Professional

• Project Team
  • 302 posts
  • Projects: None

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:39

What the fuck man, everyone's abandoning the sinking ship.

Yes, yes I know RL, I was kidding.

Well I'm gonna miss this guy. I was an idiot, but he was the only one that was giving proper critics. In his own way, but in a decent way.

We realise the changes are coming thick and fast, and we hope you can appreciate our actions. We would also like to inform you that we are currently working on several big projects for this forum, the details of which we cannot reveal right now, but rest assured, we are planning for the future right now.

So, I guess that means we're not dead yet.

#7 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:40

Fking CODE is gone too?! Jeezus.

Congrats Nooka, you deserve it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:42

In a way this rights the wrong that happened long ago, but thats before the time of most members I think. Welcome back Nuker, I don't think I can really think of anyone more deserving of the post :P

I would also like to thank Nem and Codecat for their service as staff.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:47

Congrats on your repromotion nuker :P
Also, Thanks to Code for all the work he has done for a very long time. :read:

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 22:01

Wow...a lot of things happening lately... :P

All i can say that this is the best for FS and for Modding.

Congrats to Nuker ! And enjoy your freedom CodeCat!
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#11 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 06 July 2010 - 22:01

View PostIon Cannon!, on 7 Jul 2010, 0:42, said:

In a way this rights the wrong that happened long ago, but thats before the time of most members I think. Welcome back Nuker, I don't think I can really think of anyone more deserving of the post :P

I would also like to thank Nem and Codecat for their service as staff.

I know exactly what you mean. But let's not dwell on that. It was an honor working with you codecat. You did a great deal for these forums even before I ever got Generals and discovered Shockwave and then this community. Likewise nem did a great job as a global mod despite long periods of inactivity. RL can be very cruel and leave you wanting for more free time, and I'm currently maxed out myself. If anyone is deserving of the global mod position, it's Nooka. Congrats buddy!
Posted Image

#12 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 06 July 2010 - 23:42

Oh my, soon I won't even be able to keep up with all those changes anymore D:

So congratulations Mr Nooka, even though I wasn't a big poster when you already were a staff member last time, I know you're very qualified for this post and I wish you good luck with your new post. :sly:
I'd also like to thank Codecat for all what he did to this community, and his many tutorials and advices for when I was still modding Zerohour for the fun, as well as his marvellous Mod Launcher that I still use everyday :read:
As for Nem, I can't pretend that I know him so I don't have anything special to say besides thanks for the work you did here as a moo, and bravo for your Ps skills :P

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#13 retry_1

sniper extrordanare

• 2591 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 23:44

'gratz nuker, i'm sure you'll do just as fine of a job as you did before.
Sig and avy by yours truly
Posted Image

#14 R3ven

Veteran

• Project Team
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 23:51

View PostFailure, on 6 Jul 2010, 17:39, said:

What the fuck man, everyone's abandoning the sinking ship.

Yes, yes I know RL, I was kidding.

So, I guess that means we're not dead yet.

By no means is this ship sinking, but rather going full steam ahead :P

Gratz to Nuker for his old position and good luck to Nem and Codecat.

#15 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 00:31

Congratz, Nuker for new promotion and WAAAGH! :P

And, have a fun New Gold Member.

#16 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 00:36

I'd like to make a clarification here. I did not voluntarily step down. I was demoted by the other administrators.

However, I was already considering relinquishing my duties. I took my duties to FS seriously, as I hope you all recognised. But I never could find the time nor effort to do everything that was expected of me. It was my belief that I could step down on part of those duties, so that I could remain to do those I would still be able to do. Therefore I wanted to be able to keep my duties on the TF2 server and help where help was needed on technical issues. I wanted to be useful where I could, and keep contributing to FS in a way that suited me best, but without the full duties of an administrator.

However, I never got that chance, and this is what makes me very angry right now. Instead of asking that I step down as administrator, I was forcibly demoted. Only after the fact did they explain why. Firstly what gets me here is that they did not trust me enough to expect me to step down on my own. This was a big blow to me. But secondly, the reasons they have given me for my forced resignations are based on, in my view, conjecture and hearsay.

One reason given was lack of activity or contribution. This I concur with, at least, but I am very angry that this is dropped on me suddenly like a bomb, without ever being asked whether I should contribute more. I don't think it's unreasonable for admins to ask each other what is going on when one admin is not putting in much work. And I think it is important for people to be told when they are doing something wrong or when there is something they could improve on. Constructive criticism, in other words. I never got any criticism at all until after the fact (today), when it was too late to improve, make changes, or even explain myself.

Another reason was that I was driving a wedge between the community, and this is about my behaviour on the TF2 server. However, here, again, my side of the story was never heard. Even at the time, Chyros came to and said a few people complained, but the way it was brought on me was basically like: 'These people have a problem with you. Fix it.' My side of the story was not important, nobody asked me what my take on the situation was. I was already guilty as charged before I had even heard the charges. The fact that the same argument was used now to demote me shows that even in the intervening months, nobody was even slightly interested in my view of things.

And this sums up my anger at the whole situation. Nobody ever took the time to talk to me on a fair basis about problems, whether with my activities or my behaviour. I feel like they robbed me of my dignity. The dignity to be able to explain myself, to fellow admins. The dignity to be listened to. And the dignity to step down gracefully as the other administrators have. They have robbed me of that. And it hurts, a lot.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#17 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:31

While I tend to agree with the decision I certainly don't agree with the means. Going by what Codecat says, it seems you guys never even asked him about what he would prefer. To be honest it seems like a massive breach of trust between all of you. It seems ridiculous that you completely rejected the longest serving admin/mod, what makes it worse is the closest of you to him is Bob, and even then Bob has only been going for three and a half years. When I was finally getting used to the so called 'new' administration, you're making it very hard for me to like you.

And Nuker? You've got to be joking. The guy posts about 3 times a week. He posts as much as Nem does.

In other news, I'm just curious, but how exactly can the root admin get demoted by non-roots?
Or did everyone get root somewhere along the line...

On a slightly lighter note, from the title, I initially though you were announcing a special forum for older members (although that wouldn't make much sense considering how little the veteran population actually is ;_:P.

Posted Image

#18 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:36

1. Please stop stirring things around.
2. Nuker may have proper reasons for not posting. I would ask him yourself before commenting.. Also, Nuker has been a well respected member of this community for a long time. He deserves it in my opinion. I would ask him yourself.
3. I'm pretty sure the admins didn't take the decision lightly.

There are a lot of things you probably don't know enough about to comment on here.

Mike

Edited by Mbob61, 07 July 2010 - 01:37.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:48

1. I'm not 'stirring' anything around, I'm just showing my disgust at how horribly this was done.
2. I'm sure he has reasons, but whether he does or not he is still no more active than Nem, and is therefore not a suitable replacement.
3. They seem pretty light-hearted after completely backstabbing the longest serving admin.

Edited by Alias, 07 July 2010 - 01:48.

Posted Image

#20 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:51

View PostAlias, on 6 Jul 2010, 20:48, said:

2. I'm sure he has reasons, but whether he does or not he is still no more active than Nem, and is therefore not a suitable replacement.

Nuker comes online almost every day and is always active on MSN or Steam, not to mention he usually has an opinion on a thread without having to be shown it through a link.

3. They seem pretty light-hearted after completely backstabbing the longest serving admin.

Only two of us have posted in this thread and neither TheDR, AJ, or myself have spoken to you today. You'd have no idea if we were light-hearted about it or not.

Edited by Hobbesy, 07 July 2010 - 01:55.

#21 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:59

View PostHobbesy, on 7 Jul 2010, 11:51, said:

Nuker comes online almost every day and is always active on MSN or Steam, not to mention he usually has an opinion on a thread without having to be shown it through a link.
This is a forum. He is a moderator. If he is not on the forum to moderate, then what use is he? You do not moderate MSN or Steam. You're moving the goalposts.

Only two of us have posted in this thread and neither TheDR, AJ, or myself have spoken to you today. You'd have no idea if we were light-hearted about it or not.
Whether it was meant to or not, the tone of the OP is very patronising.

Posted Image

#22 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:02

View PostAlias, on 7 Jul 2010, 2:59, said:

This is a forum. He is a moderator. If he is not on the forum to moderate, then what use is he? You do not moderate MSN or Steam. You're moving the goalposts.

He has only been a moderator 1 day. Give the guy a chance. Also only is he a sensible and rational guy but he also has moderating experience. I'm sure the admins would have asked about his activity before appointing him. They aren't stupid :P

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:03

View PostAlias, on 6 Jul 2010, 20:59, said:

Says the one who casually skirted around me saying that he almost always has an opinion on something forum related even if it's new.

What did you expect it to say?

#24 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:08

View PostHobbesy, on 7 Jul 2010, 12:03, said:

Says the one who casually skirted around me saying that he almost always has an opinion on something forum related even if it's new.
I casually skirted around that because it was a pointless point. He is a global moderator, not an administrator. Unless something has changed in the last week, he is not involved in decisions and therefore his opinions are irrelevant to his job. What matters to his job is his forum activity.

View PostHobbesy, on 7 Jul 2010, 12:03, said:

What did you expect it to say?
I never said the content needs to be different, but the tone of it could really use work. "Oh hi guys, this guy who's been here longer than all of you is getting kicked out by us, we won't explain anything even if he is in the top 5 most influencial people to ever be on this forum. Oh, in other news...". There's little respect to him in the OP, and from what Codecat has stated, even less respect to him in relation to the actual event.

Posted Image

#25 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:10

The fact that he has an opinion would show that he is active, no?

I never directly stated that you said it needed to be changed. I want to know what you expected of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users