Gun Control

80 replies to this topic

#76 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 19:13

Precisely, which negates the argument that the availability of firearms significantly contributes to spur-of-the-moment violent crimes.

#77 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 22:35

Well, why should it? A gun is more of a weapon for a intimidation, planned attacks and people who think it protects them in confined areas.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#78 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:53

View PostBoidy, on 20 Jul 2010, 0:18, said:

I disagree. A clean through-and-through bullet wound will be far less damaging than a large majority of stab wounds. As for blunt force, yeah, perhaps. But I really feel you are overstating the capabilities of a gun. Plenty can do just as much if not more damage.

I wouldn't be so sure about that! from what i have seen when goat shooting i think id rather get stabbed than shot. The degree of tissue destruction as the bullet tears through the tissue and most likely fragments or tumbles from the front of the bullet slows down creates a massive cavity. Or if it goes through a nice big exit wound.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#79 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:38

What caliber and range are you talking about?

A knife is very likely to sever major arteries and internal organs and an attack will usually include several slashes and stabs. At the same time, it's quite difficult to inflict a wound that is instantly fatal. Bleeding to death is not fun.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#80 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:24

Well i use a .243 on goats and they some times go through at roughly 50 metres. But the chances of some one pulling a high powered rifle on you in the street is unlikely. If anything your going to get shot by a pistol and it would be at close range and im taking a stab when i say your most likely to cop a hollow point.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#81 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:10

The people I know who carry concealed firearms or use them for home defense are either paranoid or they're war veterans over the age of 54. I think the idea of using a firearm to defend yourself is ridiculous. Robbery is usually attempted by the poor without a weapon while you're not home, and you've likely made your own enemies if you feel like you always need one on you.

That said, I do believe that they are good for the occasional spot of entertainment or sport, and by that I don't mean hunting. I mean competition or going to a range. However, it'd be nice to see a permit system in place with extensive background checks and where you need to renew your license at least once a year.

I'd also like to say that while I enjoy my own firearms, I don't need a full on assault rifle or anything like that. I'd much rather stick with the vintage bolt-action firearms I have, and enjoy the history they've likely seen. I also keep them in a secure metal case, and I store the ammunition for them in an entirely different part of the house. If someone was to try and plunder my house I'd go after them with a saber, or a knife, or something like that. The rifles are just for going out to shoot at targets every so often.

Edited by Hobbesy, 25 July 2010 - 08:22.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users