Scale of the Universe

24 replies to this topic

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 14:06

Link

A real cool little flash game thing, well worth the click. It starts with the smallest of everything and lets you zoom out to the largest :P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 14:17

Also worth watching:

Posted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 14:20

Holy insignificance Batman!!

#4 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 14:58

[quote name='Alias' post='790181' date='12 Jul 2010, 10:17']Also worth watching:
[/quote]
Whoa, awesome video. The guy has one of those put-you-to-sleep-in-the-classroom voices, but still, cool video. :P
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#5 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 15:04

How could you diss Carl Sagan. D;

Posted Image

#6 Ghostrider

• Project Team
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 15:50

View PostAlias, on 12 Jul 2010, 11:04, said:

How could you diss Carl Sagan. D;

He started it, he made me feel insignificant. :P
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#7 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 17:49

We get tons of stuff like that in my courses. It's a nice flash though, quite nicely done :P .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 21:03

So, boil it all down, and you're left with the fact that the Earth isn't even a drop in the cosmos. It's a tiny percentage of a part of a percentage point of a "drop in the bucket", so to speak.
Posted Image

#9 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 22:06

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 13 Jul 2010, 23:03, said:

So, boil it all down, and you're left with the fact that the Earth isn't even a drop in the cosmos. It's a tiny percentage of a part of a percentage point of a "drop in the bucket", so to speak.
No. It's actually almost infinitely smaller than even that. It's more of a water molecule in a zillion oceans. In fact, it's infinitely less than one water molecule in all water in the universe.

EDIT: and ironically, all matter consists of almost pure nothingness as well, and none of you have ever really touched ANYTHING in your lives :) .

Edited by Chyros, 13 July 2010 - 22:15.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 22:23

I've touched my share of things in my life :)

...that aside, we might not be significant in this universe, but we're significant where it matters - Earth.
Posted Image

#11 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:37

While we're on the subject of matter (and to an even smaller scale, jokes), I believe the old adage "Those that care don't matter, and those that matter don't care" applies. A bit of a play on words, but Destiny was on to something when he said we matter where it counts, our own planet. Despite the sheer magnitude of space (both inner and outer), it, in a sense of the term, doesn't matter. All that really counts, is what's right in front of, and all around, us.

Now that I've waxed philosophic, I believe I'll retire from this thread. :)
Posted Image

#12 SonicBoom

Scyrge

• Member Test
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 23:53

Even though this is a parody, I still find it relevant.

#13 Ghostrider

• Project Team
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 13:55

So scientists think there's an end to the universe? I don't believe an end exists, it just continues forever.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 14:27

View PostGhostrider, on 16 Jul 2010, 15:55, said:

So scientists think there's an end to the universe? I don't believe an end exists, it just continues forever.
No, it is believed it loops in on itself; the universe is four-dimensional. So there is no beginning or end.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Ghostrider

• Project Team
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 15:19

View PostChyros, on 16 Jul 2010, 10:27, said:

No, it is believed it loops in on itself; the universe is four-dimensional. So there is no beginning or end.

Let me rephrase that... I don't believe that there is a finite amount of anything in the universe. In that sense I mean it's endless.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 19:01

View PostGhostrider, on 16 Jul 2010, 23:19, said:

View PostChyros, on 16 Jul 2010, 10:27, said:

Let me rephrase that... I don't believe that there is a finite amount of anything in the universe. In that sense I mean it's endless.

Heat death of the universe is actually quite a possible theory, but humans are probably going to destroy themselves and never get to see the end of the universe.

If it ever ends.

But then again there's the Big Crunch...
Posted Image

#17 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:15

View PostGhostrider, on 16 Jul 2010, 23:55, said:

It's like Last person to post wins.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#18 GuardianTempest

Regular

• 180 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:55

Yeah, the thread will never end.
OC's and stuff
DeviantArt
*RWUAAARAAUGHRWAGH!!*
--------------------------
Posted Image
"I am an artist of daydreams. With just a little material, be it a picture, audio or a simple thought, it could fuel a derivative masterpiece."
And I also do Walfas Comics...when I feel like it.

#19 partyzanpaulzy

Professional

• 316 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 19:17

I wonder what happens if you reach an edge somehow (if the Space doesn't expanse with the speed of light). Crash in the barrier? Slip into other Universe? Push the expansion?
Heck I heard once about theory that Space looks like ball from hexagons... then that it looks like a cone...

About the aging of the Universe. Well, I hope there is cyclus like in everything... the last time I read about end of the Universe, Thermal Death without Big Crunch was in order.

And last time I heard the Universe has 11 dimensions according to the M Theory... but I'm just mere observer from the masses, not scientist.
EDIT: I can say only one thing to that scale: "Yo momma!" BTW, I didn't know there's such large galaxy in the Universe... :duh:

Edited by partyzanpaulzy, 13 August 2010 - 19:30.

Posted Image
(I'm making RA2YR mod, check Revora Forums for more info)
Posted Image
Posted Image
+ equivalents :p

#20 GuardianTempest

Regular

• 180 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 22:19

[insert Gurren Lagann reference here]
OC's and stuff
DeviantArt
*RWUAAARAAUGHRWAGH!!*
Posted Image
"I am an artist of daydreams. With just a little material, be it a picture, audio or a simple thought, it could fuel a derivative masterpiece."

#21 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 13 August 2010 - 23:04

View PostGuardianTempest, on 14 Aug 2010, 1:19, said:

[insert Gurren Lagann reference here]

*insert Giant Spiral*
Posted Image

#22 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:46

View Postpartyzanpaulzy, on 14 Aug 2010, 3:17, said:

I wonder what happens if you reach an edge somehow (if the Space doesn't expanse with the speed of light). Crash in the barrier? Slip into other Universe? Push the expansion?

There's no such thing as an "edge". Think of the Earth, you can keep travelling in any direction forever, never actually stopped by an impassible boundary, but we know for a fact that Earth is not limitless.

#23 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:26

Well, there probably is a part from where on there is absolutely nothing what so ever, you could call that and Edge. But there is probably no "wall" there :read:

#24 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 13:12

No, the universe is probably the 4D equivalent to a sphere in 3D-space. For example, Earth is a sphere in 3D, making its surface (2D) limitless but not infinite. Likewise, the 4D "universe-sphere" has a 3D "surface" (what we perceive as space) that you could travel through infinitely but never hit an edge - you'd just end up at your starting point eventually, just like you would when you head out for about 40.025km straight in one direction on earth.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#25 GuardianTempest

Regular

• 180 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 13:15

Wow Sandbox...
OC's and stuff
DeviantArt
*RWUAAARAAUGHRWAGH!!*
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users