DoW II Mappage

8 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:43

As I've been bored out of my tree this week I thought I'd give mapping this game a shot. Started this about 4 hours ago and took a 90 minute in the middle. Not sure if that shows how good I am or how easy it is to map :) Here are some screenies of "a" version of Railway from DC:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Few issues with this already:
  • Terrain on the east side has too much unpassable relief
  • Bit on the small side for the resources provided. (I will take out the VPs I think)
It is quite balanced. All of the points are exactly the same distance from each starting point, so at least it's even. If there are any DoW II players that want to give it a try for me, give me a shout, if not, some general c&c would be cool.

#2 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts
  • Projects: Situation Zero

Posted 06 August 2010 - 00:38

Convert it to generals C&C zero hour that map looks amazing , we could use at as a default 1v1 map , because playing on tournament desert gets really boring :)

#3 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:12

Looks great overall, about the only thing I can spot at the moment is the cliffs should be more edgy and less pointy, if you get what I mean. It's showed well in the second screen, I think. Looking at the centre, the leftmost rocks are a bit too pointy, the rightmost rocks are a lot better as has stronger edges and is a little less pointy up the top.

Edited by Alias, 06 August 2010 - 05:15.

Posted Image

#4 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:26

View PostAaron:Wii, on 6 Aug 2010, 1:38, said:

Convert it to generals C&C zero hour that map looks amazing , we could use at as a default 1v1 map , because playing on tournament desert gets really boring :xD:

No you :) I never really got on with the ZH WB tbh. And these days I am far more of a 40k fan than ZH. Sorry.

View PostAlias, on 6 Aug 2010, 6:12, said:

Looks great overall, about the only thing I can spot at the moment is the cliffs should be more edgy and less pointy, if you get what I mean. It's showed well in the second screen, I think. Looking at the centre, the leftmost rocks are a bit too pointy, the rightmost rocks are a lot better as has stronger edges and is a little less pointy up the top.

Yeah, those cliffs on the left were done first, then I got the hang of the brush tool for the second. I'll have a go at the hill again see if I can't even it out a little. Cheers for the crit!

Had a go at changing the cliffs at Starting Point 1. Not brilliant, but a slight improvement.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Wizard, 06 August 2010 - 11:30.

#5 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 13:10

Looks very nice indeed. The DoW II Worldbuilder is a lot more userfriendly and a lot more stable than the Zero Hour worldbuilder.

I can probably remake this map in Zero Hour if you guys want it.
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#6 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:42

So I am working on another map, this is a remake of my personal favourite DC map, [8p] Daturias Pits. Just beginning to get the hang of height mapping, so the terrain is a little easier to get right this way.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll be trying to make it as close as possible to the original, but perhaps it might only be a 4p instead (DoW II doesn't lend itself well to 8p maps). Here is the height map for anyone interested. Some obvious changes are still needed for those that recognise the original, but it's still very much a WiP.

Posted Image

Edited by Wizard, 07 August 2010 - 11:42.

#7 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 07 August 2010 - 13:55

I always liked Daturias Pits, though for an 8P map it never had enough SP's in my opinion.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 15:44

Just ran a 4v4 compstomp test on a very basic and undetailed version. Was quite an epic match actually :P (after I fixed the camera mesh).

Edited by Wizard, 08 August 2010 - 15:44.

#9 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:50

If someone with DoW II could help me out here it would be appreciated. The attached file contains, what I believe to be, the finished product of the first map. But as I am seemingly have difficulty getting the damn thing to work "as it should" on my comp, would someone please d/l and drop the .sga into their mods folder in "\dawn of war 2\gameassets\mods" then from Steam, select launch options use "-mod 2p_TwinPeaks" and let me know if they can use it?

NVM that, I've attached the finished version, managed to work out what what not happing :xD: All c&c greatly appreciated

Attached File(s)

Edited by Wizard, 11 August 2010 - 13:08.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users