Age of Empires III

6 replies to this topic

#1 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:18

Posted Image

Does anyone play this? It's a pretty neat game. Perhaps not as classic as it's predecessor, but still worthy, in my book. I was wondering who played it as the AI is not all that bright or hard, and thought about having a game or two over Hamachi (if it works). For those that play it, who is your favorite faction? Strategy? Discuss.

I'm a fan of the Germans, personally. Getting free Uhlans is great, and their Doppelsoldners kick truly preposterous amounts of ass. It's a bit of a pain to have to build houses all the time, and they lack musketeers, but oh well. British are second, as it's quite possible to win a game with their Musketeers and Hussars alone, and their economy is awesome.
Writing Thread

#2 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:43

japanese ;)

do you have the expansion packs? they're pretty awesome too :read:
it's time to wake up

#3 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:50

I still play it every now and then (The Asian Dynasties expansion), I prefer the Chinese (Chu Ko Nu's just rule in numbers+ they were good in AoEII) and the Japanese (Yumi archers are the equivalent to the British Longbow :read: )

Also this game is very fussy when it comes to LAN...Or at least in my experience it was, and since Ensemble Studios shut down, I don't think servers are still up.

Oh and the AI can be decent if you set it to Brutal (Hardest) and set faction to x3 Aztecs (They will spam Arrow Knights at you and you will rage)

Edited by Nohime, 14 August 2010 - 11:51.

Posted Image

#4 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 18:28

For me, India or Britihsh. :read:

I bought complete Collection about year ago and indeed awesome hitorical RTS game. My favoirte mercenary units are Black rider and Jarger.

Edited by MR.Kim, 15 August 2010 - 18:28.

#5 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:14

No expansions I'm afraid. :( Maybe sometime in the future when I get a job and some money, but I'd save up for a good computer of my own first. That screen was taken on my mom's PC, as this game has a tendency to shut my computer off with a wailing alarm after a while.
Writing Thread

#6 Anubis

Lord of the Underworld

• Project Leader
  • 1259 posts
  • Projects: MGS projects.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 16:21

Its one of the best games ever, but it gets even better if you mode it ( and if you have the addons ofc ). Modding it is easy as hell since it's XML data, and it allows you to do alot of stuff easy ( except creating a new unit - thats even worse than the SC2 editor ). My fav faction would have to be the Japanese. Samurai + Yumi archers = the hell machine.

#7 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 22:00

Posted Image

So I got the Complete Collection. |8 Still haven't finished with the campaign, but I'm impressed with the new factions. China and their flamethrowers are great. I still have a tendency to play as the Germans as they can send for the utterly badass Swedish Fusiliers. Yes, I'm linking to that trope as that is exactly what they are. Imagine Highlanders with 10 less HP, 10 extra damage and a max speed of 7.15. Combined with those Italian Elmeti, some meatshields (the mercs aren't delicate, but still) and those mercenary bombards (they speak Italian, I know that), and entire towns can be wrecked.

The ability to train mercs, incidentally, is probably the best feature. Hands down.

EDIT: The Rouge Angles of Satin strike again!

Edited by Areze, 05 January 2011 - 22:01.

Writing Thread

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users