34 replies to this topic

#26 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:25

topics merged.

Oh and Alias I agree. They could have simply called it anything else. But I won't go berserk about it tbh.
Posted Image

#27 Genrail

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 234 posts
  • Projects: Private Map Contractor

Posted 21 August 2010 - 20:56

makes me think of a KFK+Settlers type of look
This place still exists?

#28 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts
  • Projects: Situation Zero

Posted 21 August 2010 - 21:27

AOE 2 online with my freinds when i was really young ( like 7) was fun , so why not give this a chance?

#29 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:10

Huge bump for this topic...

Well, the game recently went into the open beta phase, so I thought I'd ignore the graphics and see what it is worth on the gameplay level, since there's a few good reviews of the game.
So yeah, after a couple hours of messing with the game, I can say that the gameplay is still the same as in AoE2, with some elements from AoE3; which is a good thing. The bad thing though is the micro-transactions: Let's just say that you get access to a very minor part of the game, and have to pay 100 bucks to get the full game for 6 months only.

And here's a topic I found on the matter: http://forums.ageofe...read/85741.aspx

I'd give this game a 9/10 if it didn't have all the technology/units/buildings restrictions for those who don't pay, but since it does have them, I'm giving it the title of Franchise screwup.

Edited by CJ, 18 August 2011 - 14:11.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#30 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:22

I had a little bit of a play with it on Wednesday, it played a lot better than I expected, that said I haven't exactly reached where all the free content dries up so I'll be pretty annoyed when that happens. The microtransactions thing is much more of a peeve to me than the graphics, I initially wasn't sure about them but they feel a lot better ingame than they looked in screenshots.

Why can't I just pay $30-50 and get the entire game permanently. If they had everyone pay full price rather than a small amount paying ridiculous amounts for any real content they would end up with the same revenue anyway.

Posted Image

#31 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:39

I'd pay £40 for a skirmish mode where you didn't have items ect which played like a classic game of AoE2 (AI bots would be needed as well for compstomps). The only reasons I don't play Age of Empires 2 with my mate is that we have troubles connecting (Bt Homehub D:) and that the entire map is puke coloured on Win7.

I played it a bit, it was alright. I might come back to it in the future it all depends on what happens with their 'pay to win' model, lets hope it gets phased out.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#32 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:40

View PostAlias, on 18 August 2011 - 14:22, said:

Why can't I just pay $30-50 and get the entire game permanently. If they had everyone pay full price rather than a small amount paying ridiculous amounts for any real content they would end up with the same revenue anyway.

Amen to that. Guild Wars is by far the best MMORPG out there, and it uses that method. No micro-transactions whatsoever.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#33 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:45

View PostTheDR, on 18 August 2011 - 14:39, said:

I'd pay £40 for a skirmish mode where you didn't have items ect which played like a classic game of AoE2 (AI bots would be needed as well for compstomps). The only reasons I don't play Age of Empires 2 with my mate is that we have troubles connecting (Bt Homehub D:) and that the entire map is puke coloured on Win7.
Kill Explorer and use the widescreen patch.

Around a year and a bit ago I used to have some games with Zhen every now and then, on Win 7, of course. No idea how bad BT is but I don't think it is as bad as Australian internet.

Posted Image

#34 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 15:01

View PostAlias, on 18 August 2011 - 14:45, said:

View PostTheDR, on 18 August 2011 - 14:39, said:

Kill Explorer and use the widescreen patch.

Around a year and a bit ago I used to have some games with Zhen every now and then, on Win 7, of course. No idea how bad BT is but I don't think it is as bad as Australian internet.

Killing Explorer works fine for me, but doesn't work for my friend. Its not that BT is bad, its just the router you get (the BT homehub) likes to block random things and be generally annoying.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#35 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 20 August 2011 - 22:09

Think I'll stick with AOE2 (if only it didn't randomly stop playing which forces me to restart) + AOE3, it's not because of the graphics, but rather the new route they're taking... I don't like this 'online only' and 'premium content' crap they're starting to put on this series, same for many games. I immediately reject anygame containing 'premium content' for a free game.. (The only exception to this was TF2 because I had so many crates which I couldn't get rid of. D8 Which I now regret...)

So yeah I think I'll stick with AOE2+3 until they make a 4th, but it's rather unlikely right now.

On a side note, I don't understand why AOE3 is hated... yes it changed alot but it brought new things such as Natives, Mercenaries, Home Cities, + shipments, cards, technologies and key upgrades. It still retain the gameplay of the old but given an extra flavour. Only thing I don't like about it is that some units take too much population, Pirate and Comanchero for example.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users