Dark Millenium Update!

115 replies to this topic

#76 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:17

How is my answer curt? May be when I get carried away in summing up all those different reasons why they would use the BT, but it wasn't meant personal in any way...
Posted Image

#77 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:20

It just seemed that way, no worries, I know it wasn't personal. Probably just how I read it :/

#78 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:50

Thread with fan speculations and stuff.

Sorry, no news.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#79 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 13:31

Sum Orky screenies for da boyz!

Posted Image

Posted Image

From a danish article on Gamereactor.dk, translated by me:

The upcoming Warhammer 40000: Dark Millenium Online is going to be more action-oriented than other MMO-games, the developers promise. According to Vigil Games’ founder Dave Adams many MMO’s reuse the same mechanics over and over, and doesn’t focus enough on the combat.

“Action just hasn’t been a priority for many developers”, he says. “There’s used far more work on it in consolegames. If you sit down and play an MMO, and compare it to a Triple-A consolegame, then much of the gameplay of the MMO-game just wouldn’t compare.”

Many developers jump over where the fence is lowest when it comes to combat, Adams believe, because there simply is so much to be done in an MMO. But Dark Millenium Online won’t be like that.

“That disparity won’t be toleratet much longer. In some time, someone will do it differently, and then all others must follow up. We wish that that someone will be us, and thus we’ve pushed the game towards a more action-oriented formula”.

Original article: http://www.gamereactor.dk/nyheder/81563/WH...ed+mere+action/

All I can say about that is OH GOD YES! Good to see that the "WoW-clone" behavior amongst MMO-developers is starting to disolve. Let's just hope Vigil stick to the action-oriented new style.

Edited by SquigPie, 08 December 2010 - 13:33.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#80 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 13:39

If it actually become an action game then it might draw me into MMOs, which isn't a good thing D:

I hope it's a WoW clone otherwise I'm saying goodbye to free-time :rolleyes:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#81 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 13:45

I hope it will retain some of the RPG MMO elements. Like questing, crafting, the huge open world and raiding and such, but get rid of the worse elements, like the endless grinding and the tired combat system.

Edited by SquigPie, 08 December 2010 - 13:45.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#82 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 13:54

Well i doubt they will try to change the format drastically, to me it seems like they are just giving people a combat system which doesn't look and play like crap. Grinding will be there, it wouldn't be a RPG without grinding :rolleyes:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#83 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 21:08

Ding Ding! More images, just wanted to post them before I head to bed. They're pretty big though.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by TheDR, 13 December 2010 - 21:34.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#84 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 21:29

I uploaded them to Image-shack and fixed the links in your post Squig. The other pictures seemed to be a bit screwed up.

The bike looks awesome :P

Edited by TheDR, 13 December 2010 - 21:35.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#85 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:13

Ah, looking around today, I found this article about the game, very interesting read. It's an expanded version of the danish one I translated, in english.

Wether good or bad news, the guy mentions several times how ultra-defensive GW is of the verse. This have 2 consequences, one is that we won't have to deal with the majestic and nuanced lore being raped to death, the other is that the devs won't have alot of freedom with the stuff they do.

Edited by SquigPie, 14 December 2010 - 08:19.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#86 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 18:58

View PostSquigPie, on 14 Dec 2010, 8:13, said:

Wether good or bad news, the guy mentions several times how ultra-defensive GW is of the verse.

It's about f'ing time. They've let the BL rape their stuff for far too long. Bet your arse C S Goto hasn't been asked to write the script for this game.....

#87 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 22:00

View PostWizard, on 14 Dec 2010, 19:58, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 14 Dec 2010, 8:13, said:

Wether good or bad news, the guy mentions several times how ultra-defensive GW is of the verse.

It's about f'ing time. They've let the BL rape their stuff for far too long. Bet your arse C S Goto hasn't been asked to write the script for this game.....

Example of a MMO-Quest as done by C.S. Goto:
"Hello there fellow brother space marine! I seem to have misplaced my MULTILASER, and this pleases me. I bet the Khornate Sorcerer took it, and this pleases him, he's probably also putting my eldar girlfriend through some hot naked torture"

Actually, that would be pretty hilarious :xD:

I'm very happy for the protectiveness they have about their lore, just look at what happened to the characters and lore in Warcraft! Illidan and Kael'Thas turned from complex ambigious characters into stereotypical evil overlords, Draenei turned from mutant barbarians into Spacegoats with crystal-tech.
On the other hand, their protective stance (GW's) also kills some nice projects. The famous (and hilarious) fancomic Turn Signal on a Land Raider wasn't allowed to sell any merchandise (so the author had to stop writing it).
And then there's the infamous Damnatus incident. A fanmade movie wasn't allowed release (no, not even free-to-watch online, although someone leaked it), since some loophole in the german law (where the movie was made) would hand over the ENTIRE COMPANY to the film-makers (although the filmakers, being nice guys, wouldn't use it). GW pissed of the fans, the film-makers had a film they weren't allowed to show anyone, and the fans never got their film :(

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#88 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 23:53

GS: How is the massively multiplayer project Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online shaping up?

Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online's release plans remain in the dark.

BF: We've not picked a firm launch date yet. As you know, those are the most complex games and gaming systems on the planet. And we know what the competition is. So we know we need to do it absolutely right. So it's still a couple of years out. But, I mean, even the early version--in fact, I've got a review of that product at 3:00 and then I'm actually going to be down at that office and studio on Friday looking at the progress there. We're really excited about the game but when we know we have--well, first of all, a firm beta date, obviously we'll announce that. But it's still a couple of years out because we want this to be a real defining experience for the MMO player.

Good to hear they don't want to be another run-of-the-mill MMO, but actually produce some quality.

Source:
http://www.gamespot....=result;title;0

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#89 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 18:44

Almost an entire year and they finally release something new.

Supposedly, more will follow tonight (European time). Otherwise I will be very disappointed, since this trailer shows almost nothing.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#90 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:11

I genuinely hope that there is more to come out of E3 as that was rather pathetic tbh :D

#91 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:04

Anyone know is IG are a playable race?
Posted Image

#92 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:06

View PostSlye_Fox, on 10 Jun 2011, 11:04, said:

Anyone know is IG are a playable race?

Not confirmed at this juncture.

#93 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 23:25

Whole motherload of rumours (No idea if this is confirmed):

http://www.lounge.be...1215#post161215

Some of this sounds very interesting. If this is true, then that IG looking guy in the screenshots is an assassin.

Also, Ork 'Ard Boyz, Mekboyz and Runt 'Erders. D8

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#94 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 15 October 2011 - 16:03

I guess any hope for Necron is in vain? D8

Edited by Dutchygamer, 15 October 2011 - 16:04.

Posted Image

#95 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:04

Lots of rumours flying around that THQ are in financial trouble. That would put DMO in real jeopardy if it was. THQ have said that they haven't made a decision about DMO. Death bell?? D8

#96 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:34

Nuuuuuuu...

Not another MMO I want to play biting the dust.

T.T
Posted Image

#97 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:48

It's not confirmed either way, but naturally THQ are denying all claims they are in financial trouble, which is almost as good as them admitting that they are.

All I can say is, I would expect that GW want this game made. They made a quarter of their operating profit from digital game royalities for 2011, principally Retribution and Space Marine. I imagine they are keen to continue this trend with DMO being a very decent source of revenue. If THQ go, there may well be another a deal for it to continue as, afaik, Vigil aren't in trouble.

#98 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:49

Considering the amount of money THQ (and GW) make from W40k games, even if THQ does happen to need to abandon some projects, the 40k stuff will definitely not be first on the chopping block.

Posted Image

#99 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 19:16

http://www.joystiq.c...player-game-10/

Well, wonder how it'll end out now.

Edited by SquigPie, 29 March 2012 - 19:17.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#100 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 19:51

View PostSquigPie, on 29 March 2012 - 19:16, said:

http://www.joystiq.c...player-game-10/

Well, wonder how it'll end out now.

AWESOME!
I am sure it will be a lot better than environmental view simulation game Space Marine...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users