Dark Millenium Update!

115 replies to this topic

#1 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 23:43

http://g4tv.com/videos/48200/Warhammer-400...mescom-Trailer/

According to this trailer. The Imperium of Man is a race for itself, that means that Space Marines, Adeptus Mechanicus and Imperial guard will ALL BE PLAYABLE (yay!)

Aside from the race reveal and the INCREDIBLY MANLY VOICE of the narrator, the trailer doesn't reveal much.

Edited by SquigPie, 20 August 2010 - 23:49.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#2 Warlock

Semi-Pro

• 217 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 00:17

Yippee! I'd like to see what the Adeptus Mechanicus turn out to be like :P

#3 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 21 August 2010 - 17:49

Couple things:

Is it just me, or does the narrator's voice sound incredibly like Terrance Stamp?

Anyone else notice the Space Marine Cruisers entering the Warp sequence? It's the same one from Soul Storm....glad they decided to recycle! /sarcasm
Posted Image

#4 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 18:08

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 21 Aug 2010, 19:49, said:

Couple things:

Is it just me, or does the narrator's voice sound incredibly like Terrance Stamp?

Anyone else notice the Space Marine Cruisers entering the Warp sequence? It's the same one from Soul Storm....glad they decided to recycle! /sarcasm

Yeah, I noticed that aswell, did make me raise an eyebrow, but its obvious that they haven't been able to make any new fotage (the rest of the trailer is just clips from the old trailer).

But I thought it was from DoW 2?

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#5 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 18:25

Could be, although, however you look at it, it's still recycled animation.
Posted Image

#6 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 00:17

Wonder if it's possible to drive Baneblades, probably need half the team in it :P
Posted Image

#7 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 00:42

Imagine having a 5-man instance/dungeon with you driving a baneblade, fighting against Stompas, maybee even Titans,

DO WANT!

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#8 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:58

A Baneblade can kill a Titan, it just has to be the right variant/pattern (Shadowsword). Give the sheer amount of weapons systems on the Baneblade, you probably would need a fair amount of the team to crew such a beast, because there's anywhere between 11-13 barrels (something like 8-9 different weapons). Figure one person for each turreted weapon, and one to drive.
Posted Image

#9 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:07

The Baneblade has...

Twin-linked heavy bolters...so...two/three players on that...

Lascannons...two players on that...

The mega Battle Cannon with the co-axial autocannon...one player on that...

The driver with a Demolisher cannon...another player on that...

If upgraded...a pintle-mounted Stubber/Bolter...so maybe another player on that...

Wow, we can dream.

Edited by Destiny, 22 August 2010 - 03:09.

Posted Image

#10 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:34

That's probably why there is a Titan in the game, because even though it is quite large, it really only has two weapon systems (left and right arm). Theoretically, one person could control the Titan and manage firing the weapons while walking (think Mech Warrior). However, given that this is an MMORPG, the game will probably make it mandatory for 3-4 people to be in the Titan to get it to work. That's still more reasonable than having 7-8 people in one vehicle to manage all of the weapons AND drive the thing.
Posted Image

#11 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:41

Looks great. If they somehow manage not the absolutely screw up the MMO system like many recent MMOs have, I'd be all over this.

Although I do predict that Necrons will be overlooked as always. ;_;

Posted Image

#12 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:53

Can YOU imagine yourself getting killed, then...just...bending up again and shoot someone in the ass? :P
Posted Image

#13 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:57

View PostDestiny, on 22 Aug 2010, 15:53, said:

Can YOU imagine yourself getting killed, then...just...bending up again and shoot someone in the ass? :P
:P

Necrons have the best game mechanics in the series, man. |8

Edited by Alias, 22 August 2010 - 05:59.

Posted Image

#14 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:02

Honestly, Necron? Overlooked? I believe they purposefully left the 'Cron out of the game, because, for as powerful as they might be, and as interesting, they do pose a problem to being portrayed by the user. I mean, according to fluff, the Necron no longer possess independent thought (although some Necron Lords are tormented by the memories of their fall to the C'Tan), so it would be ironic for a Necron Warrior or Flayed One to walk around, controlled by a human (which, as well all are aware, is capable of independent behaviour). That notwithstanding, the Necron are probably being left out for the same reason the Tyranid were left out of DoWI. The reason being that DoWI's game engine "just wouldn't be able to do the Tyranid justice".
Posted Image

#15 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:02

I hope crons will be in as npcs but having them be playable holds alot of problems, they don't use gear, have no independent thoughts (if Vigil makes some sort of rogue splinter-cell of necrons like the Forsaken I will hunt them down and kill them), and they all look the same.

If you are wondering wether the game will use the standard select-a-target-system, then I can inform you that it (probably) won't, if you pause the trailer at the right time you can see the space marine being played, having a crossair and manually aiming around. He still appears to have a skillbar though. He's fighting a mob named "Festering Cultist" which combined with the Great Unclean One shown earlier, makes me guess that the early demo shown takes place in a Nurgle-based Dungeon/Group quest.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#16 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:19

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 21 Aug 2010, 18:49, said:

Highly likely. Terrance Stamp is listed as one of the actors for the Ultramarines movie

This is likely to attract my attention, although I've never actually played an MMO before.

#17 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 14:19

Yeah, I remembered Terrance was in the upcoming Ultramarines movie. If you've played WoT Wiz, then you've played an MMO :P
Posted Image

#18 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 14:59

If we all get it when it comes out How about we make a guild, it'll be easier that way, we'll know some people at the beginning of the game (which is very important in a MMO, else you'll quickly loose interest), and we can be more coordinated and helpful.

PS: I'll make sure to announce any news in here, but could we sticky this thread? It's annoying that I either have to necro or make a new thread every time

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#19 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 17:37

Consider it pinned mate.
Posted Image

#20 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 19:36

After desperatly scouring the internet, I found some new screenshots at IGN.

Not much is shown, apart from an SM dualwielding bolt pistols (image 1), and a screenshot (image 9) showing five PC's posing, which I guess is a group for dungeon/pvp, it's composed of (from left to right) SM with a hammer (tank?), a Priest/acolyte/something with a shotgun, something that either is a psyker (the unnatural glow around him) or a priest using the power of faith to make miracles (Like SoB). what I guess is a tech priest with a big fucking axe (melee dmg?), a scout/guardsman (ranged dmg?).

Edited by SquigPie, 22 August 2010 - 19:37.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#21 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:02

That giant axe-thingy is what the Techpriests use in DoW1's expansions to repair stuff...like turning a key. Naturally I'm sure it can be used as a melee weapon.

Hmm...

Edited by Destiny, 23 August 2010 - 01:03.

Posted Image

#22 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:24

That "axe-thingy" is likely a power weapon, like a Thunder Hammer or Power Fist, so melee is more than just an option. It's a purpose.

Edited by Sgt. Nuker, 23 August 2010 - 01:24.

Posted Image

#23 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 13:02

What Chapter is that?

They look like Black Templars, only not black :P

Edited by Wizard, 23 August 2010 - 13:06.

#24 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 13:40

It could be the game's colour pallet making it appear some colour other than black. That insignia is Black Templar though. It also makes perfect sense that the Space Marine chapter in this game be the Black Templar. They've seen every enemy of the Imperium from Tyranid to Chaos.
Posted Image

#25 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 14:31

View PostWizard, on 23 Aug 2010, 15:02, said:

What Chapter is that?

They look like Black Templars, only not black :P

My guess is that the devs recieved numourus complaints about racism in the game, so they toned down the blackness.

Could've been cool though, an entire army of gangster rappers

yeah, propably Black Templars

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users