Dark Millenium Update!

115 replies to this topic

#51 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:01

DAMNIT ALIAS! I'M THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED TO POST UPDATES!

Thanks! Will edit once I've watched the video.

EDIT: Ok, the trailer reveals this much:

-System recs will be higher than WoW, but still managable.

-There will be a high focus on massive battles and PvP.

-Powers are still important, but battle is realtime.

Edited by SquigPie, 29 August 2010 - 11:35.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#52 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 14:22

Not entirely sure if this counts as doubleposting. But I'm not sure if editing will cause the thread to appear updated.

Got some info from Wikipedia, so it may or may not be true:

From THQ private company conference of 20th january concerning E3 presentation plan: Playable factions: – Imperium - Eldar - Orks - Chaos

Features: – Focus both on Melee and Long range Combat - covering system - 29 Zones (21 claimable, 8 invadeable) - Open-World - PvP around resource gathering and taking strategic points - center zone features a conquerable stronghold - No playable Tanks or other Warmachines at release but implemented possibility for expansion - Tyranids as full fighting PvE-Faction Lore (being discussed concerning certain faction-plots at the moment but here are the things we determined with Games Workshop so far): - Game takes place in the southern border-sectors of Segmentum Tempestus - Factions fight over a destroyed imperial forge world called Tarelis and its hive-city Cerberus X (newly added to the lore!) - The story of the game will NOT take place in a parallel universe! Just like the Planet Kronus (made by our colleagues at relic) Tarelis will be part of the lore! - Tyranids will be main-antagonists - Unfortunately Vigil-games was not allowed to use Relics Gorgutz ‘Ead ‘Unter as Ork Warlord as he will make a final appearance in the second DoW2 expansion

Costs: - 49.99$ Monthly fee: - being discussed but most likely around 13$ Rating: - targeted Teen/PEGI 16

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#53 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 17:17

PvE 'Nids will probably piss a lot of reptile fan boys off, but hey, it's hard to build an active story around them anyway.

Very pleased to here that this will take place inside of the GW lore for the franchise, although at $50 a month I am very disappointed as I won't be paying that to keep up with a story. No matter how fucking good it is.

#54 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 17:36

I think he meant $50 initial, then $13 a month.

But still, subscription based MMOs are a rip off.

Posted Image

#55 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 17:40

It's $50 to get started Wiz. Your old man eyes are playing tricks on you again. 8|

That monthly fee is a bit.....high, no?
Posted Image

#56 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 18:04

Nah, Usually it's 15$ a month I think.

It also says playable FACTIONS, hopefully this means no stupid teamups.

Edited by SquigPie, 01 September 2010 - 18:05.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#57 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 16 September 2010 - 21:09

Dont think this was posted here...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 21:13

That video has been posted before mate. :) I believe it's a page or two back though.
Posted Image

#59 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 17 September 2010 - 00:40

I just checked and that trailer hasn't been posted yet.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#60 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 00:53

Er, that was posted in the first post.

Posted Image

#61 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 17 September 2010 - 00:55

Heh that it was, saw it on GT today and thought it was new...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#62 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:09

Maaan, I thought that something new had popped up :(

Anyway, I've been checking out Virgil game's website once in a while, they don't have a forum, they seem to lack employees, and the last news were from GamesCom.

I think we gonna have to wait awhile.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#63 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 21:13

If the game is to be of any quality (and therefore worth), I believe a wait will be well worth the time spent.
Posted Image

#64 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:27

Okay guys, first class revealed, not surprisingly, its
Spoiler

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#65 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:32

View PostSquigPie, on 26 Oct 2010, 7:27, said:

first class revealed

I wouldn't say that they've just revealed it. We all knew it was the BT anyway. Appreciate the update, but that trailer didn't show me anything I didn't know before, but did show off a few more shots of a Chaos Dread. These guys need to get their act together and give us something to get some more hype going.

#66 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:29

View PostWizard, on 26 Oct 2010, 9:32, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 26 Oct 2010, 7:27, said:

first class revealed

I wouldn't say that they've just revealed it. We all knew it was the BT anyway. Appreciate the update, but that trailer didn't show me anything I didn't know before, but did show off a few more shots of a Chaos Dread. These guys need to get their act together and give us something to get some more hype going.

Agreed, they aren't very good at keeping our attention, the promised us more stuff in august and all they did was to tell us that the Imperium was in the game. But it's still very early in develovepment, perhaps they don't have alot to show us?

Edited by SquigPie, 26 October 2010 - 08:42.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#67 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 16:28

It's not just any "Space Marine", ya bleedin' Squiggy, it'z dem Black Templar gitz. Technically a sub-chapter of the Imperial Fists, the Black Templar are known for staying extremely close to the Space Marine Codex set down by the Emperor, and as such will not suffer to battle with another race unless it is of the Imperium of Man (and even then they are still thick-headed).
Posted Image

#68 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 16:49

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 26 Oct 2010, 18:28, said:

It's not just any "Space Marine", ya bleedin' Squiggy, it'z dem Black Templar gitz. Technically a sub-chapter of the Imperial Fists, the Black Templar are known for staying extremely close to the Space Marine Codex set down by the Emperor, and as such will not suffer to battle with another race unless it is of the Imperium of Man (and even then they are still thick-headed).

Sorry boss, auch! Not on da 'ead!

Wasn't the Codex written by Guilleman (never know how to write that name), and isn't Black Templars very anti-codex?

Lexicanum:

The Black Templars are also notorious for defying Codex doctrine that states that a chapter may only number 1000 battle brothers

I know that the insane size they have (estimated to be 13000) is because of a loop-hole in the Codex. Which says that the maximum number of marines in a chapter (1000), can be broken if the chapter is in crusade, which the BT always are.

Black Templar Marines also set themselves apart from standard Codex doctrine by including Neophytes in squads of fully initiated Marines to help teach them the ways of battle and the art of combat.

Their wierd structuring order is against the codex if I remember correctly, the only reason they don't fight alongside psyker's n such is because they are insanely proud.

Did...Did I just know more about WH 40K than Nooka? :O :/

Edited by SquigPie, 26 October 2010 - 16:57.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#69 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 17:28

If you pulled it from Lexicanum or an actual written codex, then you "know" more than me in a particular area. I have a broad knowledge of WH40k that has yet to be fine tuned, though I do have an expertise in certain portions.

And yes, Guilliman did write and formalize a "codex astartes" after the Horus Heresy. As such, Guilliman's Ultramarines follow the codex astartes to the nth degree (ah, there you see? Mixed the BT's with the Smurfs....silly me :/).
Posted Image

#70 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 18:12

View PostSquigPie, on 26 Oct 2010, 17:49, said:

isn't Black Templars very anti-codex?

Very, as Dorn was one of principle Primarchs that defied Guilliman's restructuring.

I am interested as to why DM is using the Black Templars, although I am not averse to their inclusion, as it beats the hell out of seeing the Blood Ravens every time you click a mouse. But there is nothing particularly enigmatic about their chapter, beyond their avoidance of the codex. There are other chapters that could've worked just as well and may even provide more interesting story lines. I guess we'll just have to see what the storyline provides for, but judging by the updates from THQ on this game, I am not expecting us to see much in the way of decent reveals :/

#71 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 18:42

Black Templars are noted for their Crusades against Tyranids and every other race in the 40 realm. True the Ultramarines could have been used in such a role, however, perhaps THQ was going for a more Teutonic approach, rather than just belligerently disciplined warriors clad in ceramite monkey suits.

Edited by Sgt. Nuker, 26 October 2010 - 18:43.

Posted Image

#72 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 23:13

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 26 Oct 2010, 19:42, said:

perhaps THQ was going for a more Teutonic approach, rather than just belligerently disciplined warriors clad in ceramite monkey suits.

That doesn't seem like a reason to me. The Blood Ravens were chosen for DoW and DoW 2 as their appearances are limited in officially published lore (as far as I can tell anyway), and are as such, a pretty engimatic chapter. The Smurfs and Doggies are pretty well written about, as are the Fists, which makes their appearance in a MMO slightly dry. To my knowledge there is only one book in the canon that is about the Black Templars (with the exception of Armaggedon). We know Dorn is dead, so there isn't anything to find out about the Templars, whereas there are other chapters that their histories hidden to us, or in quite a few cases, barely know about at all. What I want to know, is why chose the Templars over another chapter? What do GW have in store for the Templars that couldn't have been achieved with the inclusion of another chapter?

Edited by Wizard, 26 October 2010 - 23:14.

#73 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 00:15

Has it occured to you that it may be the connection of storyline vs gameplay that fuelled this choice? Reading here that the Black Templars are very anti-codex this would allow them to have a very 'liberal' line of space marines which is in line with what I expect the players would be in an MMO. Using a very tied chapter like the smurfmarines would certainly lead to some breaking of the codex to include gameplay freedom and with that storyline quest freedom.

The chapter is always in crusade (the MMO is eternal too, as the war will go on for as long as its servers are online) so there is no problem with the chapter needing a conflict. It has no homeworld which allows for flexible placement of the training facilities on pretty much any interstellar region they wish to use for their story. Their ignoring of the codex prescription for Chapter size allows the unlimited amount of players that can be a Black Templar in the game. As already said in this thread, their training methods for Neophytes, allowing them to fight alongside the chapter, is perfect for the game, I need not explain this. Lastly, they have an unusual ranking system which allows for a bit more originality as well as a good progress system for the Space Marine faction in the game.

While they could have just picked another chapter and ignored these codex lore implications (as, for example, in the DoW campaigns one could lose more marines than the Blood Ravens actually have in one crusade), the usage of this chapter allows them to include the codex and any other lore that is tied to in in the game and use it for whatever purpose, without generating conflict with purists about the Space Marine players. I wouldn't expect, nor would want to, Relic to choose the chapter merely out of storyline reasons. This is because as good as you may want it to be, an MMO is mostly about gameplay and not about the storyline as it can never be as deep as a single player game can be.

Edited by Shirou, 27 October 2010 - 00:29.

Posted Image

#74 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:55

I think Angry Space Marines would fit most, at least their vocabularoty would:

"Guys let's take out this boss lol"

*several wipes later*

"FUCK! WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY FUCKING DO WHAT I FUCKING TELL THEM TO YOU FUCKHEADS!"

"Dude, calm down, it's just a ga-"

"FUCK YOU! FUCK ALL OF YOU! FUCKING 12-YEAROLD NOOBFUCKERS! GO BACK TO WOW!"

I miss playing MMO's :/

Anyway, Pretty much everything Shirou said, it's essentially the same reason I think they chose BT for.

Edited by SquigPie, 27 October 2010 - 05:56.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#75 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:07

View PostShirou, on 27 Oct 2010, 1:15, said:

Has it occured to you that it may be the connection of storyline vs gameplay that fuelled this choice?
Honestly, based on previous DoW games, no it hadn't. And you do indeed make a good point.

View PostShirou, on 27 Oct 2010, 1:15, said:

I wouldn't expect, nor would want to, Relic to choose the chapter merely out of storyline reasons. This is because as good as you may want it to be, an MMO is mostly about gameplay and not about the storyline as it can never be as deep as a single player game can be.
The only issue I can dispute with you here, is that Relic aren't developing the game, it's Vigil 8D. And for the record, I was asking a question, as to what others thought, your answer seems rather curt in the circumstances... :/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users