Learning my own

33 replies to this topic

#26 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts
  • Projects: FoxMod

Posted 18 January 2011 - 14:41

ok it's true, I kinda forgot about modding and FS all together after I got my pc/finished school. But today I was reminded of what I was working on, this actually happened when I was trying to make 1:32 scale model of a shilka tank (well US varient, but thats not important right now), while building it I lent the box top against my light, and when I next turned to adjust that light the image from the reverse looked so cool that I couldn't miss the opportunity to photograph it. Thus here is a stained underside of a box that I edited with picasa. This is also to become my new intro "logo" for my mod. If I ever finish it

so, here it is:
Posted Image

the original (different angle):
Posted Image

Edited by cccdfern, 01 June 2011 - 05:27.

To listen and learn, or contribute and teach.

#27 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 14:36

Right, very long time, done nothing.

But now I've decided to jump back in, started off with a random turret, then started doing research on how to get the hdri working, set that up, plundered the textures from old projects and decided to go further.

For a long time I had wondered how uv mapping was done so I set out to find out, followed some tuts, I now have a uv map in a .uvw file (no idea what to do with it now). Looked up some other tutorials and discovered how to put textures on single face through that (accidentally). So, hense-forth, through lots of fun filled fiddling I have come up with something that I can be proud of and learn more from.

Next up I may animate it and create a projectile of some sort, you never know.
All new images for this project will be uploaded to Picassa, for ease of access.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by cccdfern, 16 June 2011 - 15:18.

#28 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:44

posted it twice somehow...

Edited by cccdfern, 18 October 2011 - 22:55.

#29 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:57

Thought that the turret looked as though it could do with an accompanying building, so I have added this Power Plant thingy, still a work in progress, but looks good for the outset.

Might fiddle with the sizes as one should probably be larger/smaller; any ideas? feel free.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by cccdfern, 18 October 2011 - 12:02.

#30 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 16:14

The modeling looks nice but the rendering feels a bit off, it feels either too bright or too flat.
You'd have to ask someone with more experience than me for help with how to fix it, unless thats the look you are going for, perhaps more context is needed.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#31 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:48

Changes, and a lot of CPU usage later (If 3DS Max is using 100% CPU it must be a good thing..)
Added some depth of field, changed the output size and a few other settings of which I have no idea to their effect and purpose :/, the last one took awhile. Also changed the plane to a reflective surface (reflection lake glass).

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by cccdfern, 20 October 2011 - 02:49.

#32 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:21

Irrelevant

Edited by cccdfern, 01 January 2012 - 15:44.

#33 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 15:40

Well, back to 3DS-Max again, this time I decided to create something made of glass. Well, inevitably I have attempted a wine glass, trouble is the first one came out great - problem, not enough sides so not very smooth and glass like. So, when I tried again with more sides, I came across the difficulty of how to do it, not really knowing nor remembering most of the stuff, I have stumbled trough to create these, in no particular order mind you.

Also, used tessellate on the bottom one...I think, um what does this actually do any way?

Would love to get the glass texture and shape down pat, next step is to get liquids working to some degree, for that may complete some other small projects: such as the thing which I don't know the name of so I made a model of it thingy.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by cccdfern, 01 January 2012 - 15:43.

#34 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 13:45

Apparently particle flows are the way to go for creating liquids, but as of yet I can't get the particles look right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users