The Black Library: The Horus Heresy

18 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 18:22

I'm almost finishing "Horus Rising" by Dan Abnett and am loving it. Can anyone recommend another book from the Black Library? Graphic or regular novel I don't mind.

I thought I'd turn this topic into a more general discussion about the Horus Heresy series, as I am about 50% of the way through the currently published books and have just acquired 3 more :)

I know there aren't massive numbers of fluffers here but should be enough to keep some discussion going, failing that I'll just blog post!

Current HH series list is (in order of first to last published):
  • Horus Rising: Read
  • False Gods: Read
  • Galaxy in Flames: Read
  • The Flight of the Eisenstein: Read
  • Fulgrim: Read
  • Descent of Angels: Read
  • Legion: Read
  • Dark King & The Lightning Tower:
  • Battle for the Abyss:
  • Mechanicum: Read
  • Tales of Heresy: Read
  • Fallen Angels: Read
  • Raven's Flight:
  • Thousand Sons: Read
  • Nemesis: Own - just bought
  • The First Heretic: Reading
  • Garro: Oath of Moment:
  • Prospero Burns: Own - just bought

I'll give my opinions on the both the stories, the fluff and the quality etc in further posts (although I suspect that if there is any discussion it'll be more about the fluff).

**Possible spoiler alerts for those not heavily into their 40k.**

Edited by Wizard, 21 January 2011 - 19:17.

#2 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 18:39

Anything by Dan Abnett is all I have to say. Abnett is also being consulted for the Space Marine movie that is coming out if that helps. My other suggestion is to read the rest of the books in the Horus Heresy line.
Posted Image

#3 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 20:09

Bah, Abnett's a pussy compared to C.S. Goto.

His works are carefully thought out, intelligent, got awesome battle scenes, and are filled with deep and awesome cha-

ooh, who am I kidding?

MULTILASERS!

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#4 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 20:29

That's odd, because Abnett bases his books on the lore of WH40k. Probably why he's helping out on the movie.
Posted Image

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 20:50

Thanks, but I was wondering if anyone had actually read a compelling book they could suggest. I am tempted to follow up with a Space Wolf novel as it's one of the loyalist chapters I know least about. One of the reasons I've liked "Horus Rising" so much is because of the Luna Wolves. I like to think I have a half decent knowledge of chapter fluff, but it's been interesting learning about a pre-heresy legion.

I have heard tell that "Assault on Black Reach" is one to read. If not I may try "Sons of Dorn".

#6 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 21:09

If you're interested in some of the traitor legions before they fell, Dan Abnett has a novel entitled "Legion". The legion in question is the Alpha Legion, one of the more mysterious Chaos legions, and one that I never quite understood myself.
Posted Image

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:22

Now that sounds like a good suggestions. Thanks mate!

#8 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:36

Couldn't find "Legion" at the Waterstones in the City so I bought "False Gods" (Horus Rising sequel) and the Blood Ravens omnibus. I'll order "Legion" online and these two will keep me going until I find it. Was tempted by "Thousand Sons" but as the Black Library is going to be providing books on iPad/iPhone soone I'll wait for that.

#9 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 16:38

I might have to check into Thousand Sons myself as their pre-heresy story is one of my favourite. If the book is worth its merit, it should have a rather detailed description of their tragic fall.

Another novel I recommend is Mechanicum, which tells a bit of the story about the Forge World of Mars. The snippet on Black Library was well written and pleasantly detailed.
Posted Image

#10 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 20:02

Finally managed to finish "Horus Rising" today. I must say, having never really read that much into pre-heresy times, it seems even more tragic now. "False Gods" next.

#11 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 21:41

The fall of some chapters is quite the tragedy, such as the Death Guard's "forced hand" to convert to chaos because of a freak warp accident that caused their fleet to have a serious run-in with Nurgle, or the Thousand Son's unfortunate turn when Magnus tried to warn the Emperor of Horus' fall to Chaos.
Posted Image

#12 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 14:38

Better late than never, but "False Gods" was, imho anyway, a much better book that "Horus Rising". Graham McNeill does a much better job of telling the story than Abnett. I'll getting "Galaxy in Flames" next but working my way through the Blood Ravens omnibus atm.

#13 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:47

I've finished the "Thousand Sons" btw. Not a bad book, gives a nice insight into the Council of Nikea and Magnus's breach of the Imperial palace. Ahriman is quite interesting as a central character and not what I thought he'd be like (I thought he'd be more of a Abaddon like character).

Previous to that I read the Blood Ravens Omnibus, which was, quite frankly, rather far fetched, even for 40k. I mean
Spoiler
. Good books and well written by Goto (I agree with you there Squig), but a little too much artisitic license I think.

I want to pick up "Galaxy in Flames" next, but currently reading "Tales of Heresy", a collection of shorter stories about individuals during the Horus Heresy. Not bad so far!

#14 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 15:16

Which selection of characters does "Tales of Heresy" focus on?
Posted Image

#15 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 16:02

I've only done the first story, but that was Amon of the Adeptus Custodes!! I'll let you know the rest later.

#16 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 15:08

Sorry, forgot to update what stories in the book

Lexi page

Wolf at the Door was especially good and had Dark Eldar as well

#17 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 00:12

*becomes semi unofficial DoW Fluff discussion thread*

"Tales of Heresy" finished and thoroughly bloody enjoyed. I recommend it for anyone who wants more lore for your buck than the other Heresy books. Really enjoyed the "The Last Church" for both obvious reasons and it's philosphical nature. "Wolf at the Door" for the futility of the position of the Astartes. "Call of the Lion" is an interesting look at conflict amongst the reunited legions and "After Desh'ea" is a good look at the afflicted mind of Angron. "Scions of the Storm" was also a pretty good account of the horror in the shift of the Emperors Children.

"Galaxy in Flames" is next as I bought that today, along with "Mechanium" and "Flight of the Eisenstein", all of which I am looking forward to.

Should point out I am only about 3 books away from the complete Horus Heresy series :)

Edited by Dr.Wizard, 02 November 2010 - 00:14.

#18 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 00:45

I'm quite interested to see how you fancy "Mechanium" and "Flight of the Eisenstein". Of the three titles you listed, those 2 piqued my interest.
Posted Image

#19 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 14:27

I've updated the topic title and first post in an attempt to make it more about the HH series than what books people think I should read.

Probably the most entertaining series of books I've read since the Mr. Men collection but for obviously different reasons |8. Being an ever increasingly dedicated 40k fluffer the series has piqued my interest in the early days of the time line and been quite well written to boot.

I'll get to the rest of the previously read books later, but thought I'd say a few things about the book I've just finished and was really looking forward to the most, Flight of the Eisenstein by James Swallow. Having not read Nemesis I wasn't really expecting much about the writing, this book was on my "can't wait" list literally because of the last page
Spoiler
. Which I have to say, isn't particularly mind blowing, but hardly an anticlimax.

I think that anyone who knows anything about the HH series will know the plot by now and it's hardly worth repeating it for those that don't, but there were a few things that did strike me about this book. Firstly, the lack of the actual flight of the Eisenstein. Of course it happens, however, I had expected more. It isn't until about half way through that Garro begins the journey back to Terra to warn the Emporer and that leaves very little room for the story of the journey, which I must admit, is rather brief, if a little dangerous.

Secondly, and in counter to the above, the first half is also a little strange.... One of the biggest flaws of the book is that the raison d'etre of Mortaron to turn from The Emporer and side with Horus, is literally ignored. It is just a presumed fact that he did. It is briefly explained in that
Spoiler
but I think that is rather weak. Having read Fulgrim and False Gods where soo much of the Primarch's story is told, you do really miss what I think is a substantial part of the storyline by disregarding this. Yet you are told that Mortaron feels Garro is special enough to be worth several opportunities to be allowed to join the Warmaster, again, with very little explanation.

Both of the above, however, are relatively minor gripes and could be found in nearly every bit of 40k lore that has ever been written. I suppose the issue I have with it is the throw away attitude of the author to the logic behind it. It would have worked better had there been a little creative license and some deliberate ambiguity, but the explanations are either ignored or matter-of-fact'd.

I won't criticise the book anymore as it would be unwarranted and I suspect that my above is based on the expectation I had, rather than by any huge plot holes. I will say that Garro is characterised well and his horror at the treachary of his legion and brothers is spun beautifully. Bottom line, The Flight of the Eisenstein gives you what you expect and for the most part well. It follows the RoC nicely and in places is quite dramatic, eloquently versed and as fluffy as a SoB's teddy bear.

Overall 8/10

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users