Do you play TF2?

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you play TF2 on a regular basis? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you play TF2 on a regular basis?

1. Several times a week (20 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. Once a week (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Occasionally (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. I don't play TF2 (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

If yes, do you play on our sever?

1. Several times a week (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

2. Once a week (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

3. Occasionally (14 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

4. Never / I don't play TF2 (22 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 22:33

We would like to get some feedback about TF2, especially from those who don't currently play on our server, or at all.

If you don't currently play on our server, or at all, we would love to know why! We would like to encourage more players; I will hopefully give it another go soon, and it would be great to see some new faces on there.

Edited by Bob, 27 September 2010 - 16:01.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 26 September 2010 - 22:59

As I am back in UK, I will continue to play and moderate the server. It was impossible for me to do so while I am in HK.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 23:00

In incredibly stupid fashion, I own the game and pay for the server, yet I use neither. I will try and remedy this if I can, sometime soon, if even on a limited/piecemeal basis. :lol:

#4 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 26 September 2010 - 23:04

I always try to show up on the 3 TF2 days, even though I haven't managed to join in a lot of matches during the last month.
Only thing that I dislike about playing on the server is that as soon as a FS member leaves, the whole server becomes empty in less than 5 minutes :|

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 23:05

View PostCJ, on 27 Sep 2010, 0:04, said:

Only thing that I dislike about playing on the server is that as soon as a FS member leaves, the whole server becomes empty in less than 5 minutes :|
Why is that, do you think?

#6 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 23:39

Hmm, I tend to play TF2 a fair bit, but I don't play much on the FS server anymore. This is for two reasons. Most of the time, it is because it is utterly deserted. There's not point in playing on a server when it's only you, sadly. Secondly, I like servers with a bit of action going on, unlike most people here, and thus tend to stick to my 32-player Payload whoredom a fair bit. Note this doesn't mean I don't like our games on the server, but sometimes I personally find the server a little... limited in terms of player numbers.

@CJ's point: Very, very true. It only takes one to spark essentially an exodus, and I think partly because we lock the server, we don't get people replacing the leavers. Locking a server is absolutely no good once people start to leave, because it has a detrimental effect. Furthermore, locking the server I think is in itself an incredibly detrimental concept - we want to have more people play on the server, right? Well then what is the point in not letting them in during the only current times that it is busy? Great, it's free for public use, but there's then nobody ever on there... I personally think we should abolish the locking concept, and anybody who wants to moan about it being 'for private use' or 'FS-only games' can frankly get stuffed. It makes very, very, very little sense to me as to why we lock an asset - it's like rendering the forums viewable only by members - there's something there, but what the hell it is is anybody's guess because they can't get at it. If I went on Dragon's Den, and said "Here's a cool product, and I mean really cool, but I'm not going to show it to you because I like keeping it to myself, aside from at times that you can't appreciate it.", I'd be laughed off the show. But meh, that's a personal point, really.
For there can be no death without life.

#7 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts
  • Projects: Situation Zero

Posted 26 September 2010 - 23:51

I'd play more if there was more customization other then the server name :lol:

#8 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:17

Should include a "never" option for the second question - ping is the main reason for me.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#9 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:15

Well my machine isn't fast enough to play it nor do i think i would be awake when every one plays it.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#10 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:07

I don't have a copy. Might buy a cheap copy in the future, but I doubt I can play in the FS server since I'm almost certain my ping would be bad.

#11 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:10

Occasionally...I'm too bad a player so I don't play that much.

...'cept on 2fort :lol:
Posted Image

#12 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts
  • Projects: Situation Zero

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:52

View PostDestiny, on 27 Sep 2010, 3:10, said:

Occasionally...I'm too bad a player so I don't play that much.

...'cept on 2fort :lol:

being such a bad player never stoped me from playing , its to fun :xD:

#13 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:29

Uhhhh...

Shouldn't there be an option for "If yes, do you play on our sever?" that's basically just "No"? because I play TF2, but not on the FS Servers. Though I'd like, as long as it lets me keep all of my custom models and sounds.
Formerly Sobek

#14 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts
  • Projects: Nothin'

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:48

Im usually the first one on the FS server :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:07

View PostAJ, on 27 Sep 2010, 1:39, said:

@CJ's point: Very, very true. It only takes one to spark essentially an exodus, and I think partly because we lock the server, we don't get people replacing the leavers. Locking a server is absolutely no good once people start to leave, because it has a detrimental effect. Furthermore, locking the server I think is in itself an incredibly detrimental concept - we want to have more people play on the server, right? Well then what is the point in not letting them in during the only current times that it is busy? Great, it's free for public use, but there's then nobody ever on there... I personally think we should abolish the locking concept, and anybody who wants to moan about it being 'for private use' or 'FS-only games' can frankly get stuffed. It makes very, very, very little sense to me as to why we lock an asset - it's like rendering the forums viewable only by members - there's something there, but what the hell it is is anybody's guess because they can't get at it. If I went on Dragon's Den, and said "Here's a cool product, and I mean really cool, but I'm not going to show it to you because I like keeping it to myself, aside from at times that you can't appreciate it.", I'd be laughed off the show. But meh, that's a personal point, really.

Shows how often you join. We haven't locked the server in months. :lol:
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#16 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:25

View PostWizard, on 27 Sep 2010, 0:05, said:

View PostCJ, on 27 Sep 2010, 0:04, said:

Why is that, do you think?

Some kind of conspiracy?
Nah, seriously though, it has to do with the fact that the servers simply doesn't attract enough people to replace the FS members.
I don't know about you, but if it wasn't because I knew the guys playing on the server, I'd never join it twice. There is no support for custom content (obviously sv_pure must be always on), no funny plugins except the mayhem one, and even the server's name doesn't have an [EU] tag. Personally when I'm looking for a new server I don't join one which doesn't include the country in it's name since I don't want to end up on some Russian server where I wouldn't understand what's even going on...

#17 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:41

Yeah, I've been wondering when we'd be getting our custom maps back...
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#18 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:46

Nah, customs maps tend to scare people away most of the time (unless you can speed up the DL speed)
I forgot to mention the utility of the server tags, these might make the server more easily found for those who use the filter settings.

#19 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:46

The PC gamer server (run by the guys who make the PC gamer magazine, which gets quite a few readers :lol:) is empty a lot as well, the issue of a server being empty is not because the server is doing anything wrong, it's just because people don't want to play Tf2 all the time and if they do, they'd rather just join some cluster fest that AJ is describing in his post (tbh, only soldiers and demospam can play in 32 servers, most of the other classes barely get touched).

This brings me back to the goals of the TF2 server, does it exist to be a asset for the Fallout Community to use or is it a marketing device to attracted members to the forum? I feel it is an asset for the community to use, but unfortunately we can please everyone. Pure settings are on because people can cheat using custom skins, but i feel that out members wouldn't be so petty to cheat in a friendly game of TF2, so I'm willing to maybe reduce the level of Pure on the server, but I'd have to talk to Hobbesy first and maybe do a bit more research into it. Funny plugins however i feel shouldn't be a part of our server unless they are minimal.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#20 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:59

I think if plugins change gameplay (significantly) they must be able to be enabled or disabled by a moderator. For the rest, I think pre-game mayhem is mostly harmless as it doesn't affect gameplay at all. I've also seen some possibilities for the end-of-round time, such as turning it into a mini prophunt round, or turning on instant respawn for the losing team so the winners can have a fragfest in the spawn room (I've seen this one in a video, it looks insane).
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 13:21

View PostTheDR, on 27 Sep 2010, 10:46, said:

This brings me back to the goals of the TF2 server, does it exist to be a asset for the Fallout Community to use or is it a marketing device to attracted members to the forum? I feel it is an asset for the community to use, but unfortunately we can please everyone. Pure settings are on because people can cheat using custom skins, but i feel that out members wouldn't be so petty to cheat in a friendly game of TF2, so I'm willing to maybe reduce the level of Pure on the server, but I'd have to talk to Hobbesy first and maybe do a bit more research into it. Funny plugins however i feel shouldn't be a part of our server unless they are minimal.

I believe the days of us thinking that the server could be used as an advertising tool are well and truly over. What we should probably look to do now is determine how best "we" like it.

#22 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 13:51

Are you really telling me that's what you originally got it for? No wonder we could never see eye to eye on what to do with it!
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 14:00

View PostCodeCat, on 27 Sep 2010, 14:51, said:

Are you really telling me that's what you originally got it for? No wonder we could never see eye to eye on what to do with it!

View PostWizard, on 27 Sep 2010, 14:21, said:

I believe the days of us thinking that the server could be used as an advertising tool are well and truly over. What we should probably look to do now is determine how best "we" like it.

I never said it that it was purchased as an advertising tool, but it could be utilised to for that. And I don't particularly remember you and I disagreeing over the use of the server..... :lol:

#24 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 14:56

The second poll answer ''I don't play TF2'' does not compute with the question ''if yes....''. It should be ''No, I don't play on the server''

Anyway I occasionally play TF2 although I have never really put it up as one of my favorite games, so yeah.
Posted Image

#25 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 15:33

Just answer the second part with "not on the FS server".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users