Fxor's Models

9 replies to this topic

#1 Fxor

• 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 00:07

Hi there,

Pav:3d said I should post a thread for criticism.

Now, I know I'm not very good, I'm still learning.

So here we go D=
Posted Image
-
Posted Image
-
Posted Image
-
Posted Image
-
Posted Image
-
Posted Image
-
Posted Image
-
Posted Image

-Fxor

Edited by Fxor, 16 October 2010 - 00:33.

#2 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 16 October 2010 - 00:23

It may be intentional, but it all looks very blocky, which looks "artsy" to me, but doesn't look like it would fit in a game. That said, the models aren't bad at all I really quite like the 6th model. If your trying to achieve a more realistic looking approach just make your models less blocky, from the composition and look of your current models you shouldn't have to many problems becoming quite proficient. I'm sure someone more versed in 3D modelling can give you some better advice though.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Fxor

• 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 00:28

Ion Cannon!, on 16 Oct 2010, 0:23, said:

It may be intentional, but it all looks very blocky, which looks "artsy" to me, but doesn't look like it would fit in a game. That said, the models aren't bad at all I really quite like the 6th model. If your trying to achieve a more realistic looking approach just make your models less blocky, from the composition and look of your current models you shouldn't have to many problems becoming quite proficient. I'm sure someone more versed in 3D modelling can give you some better advice though.

That's where I've always been stuck; "Blocky" models. Hmm, maybe I should go read up on some stuff. Or as you said, a more experienced modeller could help me out.

I'm glad you think they are OK though. =)

Edit: Added Tank Render

-Fxor

Edited by Fxor, 16 October 2010 - 00:34.

#4 Generalcamo

Casual

• 78 posts
  • Projects: None

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:09

You would need to add more polys near the edges. Just smooth them and your done.
Supporter of Stalin

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:59

Like other people said, your models are quite blocky. However they do look very detailed and creative, as long as you sort out the blocky-ness of them, you should be able to make some really good models 8|
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:12

I like the fighter-looking ones, but they're too...angular...lots of funny shapes. I guess it's your 'taste', even if they're not aerodynamic 8|
Posted Image

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:31

Fxor, on 16 Oct 2010, 1:07, said:

Posted Image
Blocky works here pretty well actually 8| We don't see many RL building models on this forum so this is quite a nice change. Personally I like it. It's simple and very effective.

Posted Image
As a concept this model is quite interesting. It almost seems like an origami aircraft and I think would work pretty well in RA3 for the EoRS tbh. What does bother me about it though are the wings and how you seem to have made them quite thick, which wouldn't work very well.

Posted Image
Now this I like. Simple and effective, as with the block of flats, utilitarian, obviously, but if you were to skim off some of the unnecessary polygons on top, might work quite well as a model in ZH. Also, very nice to see someone new trying to skin their models. May I suggest checking out Pav:3d's tutoral?

Posted Image
Leaving the best to last I see :D Whilst being a little on the elongated side, this model clearly shows that you have some skills. Despite the above it does show that you have a grasp of the proportions that the unit needs but also that you can read a RL vehicle and recreate it. Very, very good! 8|

Please keep them coming!

#8 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:01

SOme very nice stuff there, like that fighter. You need to learn to smooth modifier your models tho

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 16 October 2010 - 13:16

I'm not going to focus on what others have said, because...well, others have already alerted you to it. What I will comment on is your third from bottom render. Yes, it may be have more sharp edges than a Ginsu knife. Yes, the wings might be thicker than the world's fattest man. All of that might be true, but I can't help liking it just the way it is. It has a certain endearing quality all its own that, should it be smoothed, might lose some of its character. In short, even if the design wouldn't really fly, I still like it.
Posted Image

#10 Fxor

• 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 14:12

Grand Kapitan Camo, on 16 Oct 2010, 1:09, said:

You would need to add more polys near the edges. Just smooth them and your done.

I'm gunna look into this.

TheDR, on 16 Oct 2010, 9:59, said:

Like other people said, your models are quite blocky. However they do look very detailed and creative, as long as you sort out the blocky-ness of them, you should be able to make some really good models :D

Thanks, I will follow what you say. =)

Destiny, on 16 Oct 2010, 10:12, said:

I like the fighter-looking ones, but they're too...angular...lots of funny shapes. I guess it's your 'taste', even if they're not aerodynamic 8|

The aircraft models were made as concepts for a slightly futuristic mod called "Project 51" on ModDB. Glad you like it though!

Wizard, on 16 Oct 2010, 10:31, said:

Took out the text.

Thank you very much for you constructive criticism. All taken into account! 8|

Pav:3d, on 16 Oct 2010, 12:01, said:

SOme very nice stuff there, like that fighter. You need to learn to smooth modifier your models tho

Throw tutorials links at meh please! Glad you like that bomber though!

Sgt. Nuker, on 16 Oct 2010, 13:16, said:

I'm not going to focus on what others have said, because...well, others have already alerted you to it. What I will comment on is your third from bottom render. Yes, it may be have more sharp edges than a Ginsu knife. Yes, the wings might be thicker than the world's fattest man. All of that might be true, but I can't help liking it just the way it is. It has a certain endearing quality all its own that, should it be smoothed, might lose some of its character. In short, even if the design wouldn't really fly, I still like it.

That's one amazing paragraph. Thanks much. Can I cry now! *sniff sniff*...

-Fxor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users