The Fallout Studio headphones thread!

74 replies to this topic

#26 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 22 November 2010 - 18:37

A good sound card or DAC is a good investment to go with it too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#27 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 18:53

ΓΛΡΤΘ&#, on 22 Nov 2010, 19:37, said:

Unfortunely the headset isnt available in the Netherlands. Just checked...
Posted Image

#28 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 22:49

Crazykenny, on 22 Nov 2010, 18:53, said:

ΓΛΡΤΘ&#, on 22 Nov 2010, 19:37, said:

Unfortunely the headset isnt available in the Netherlands. Just checked...

http://www.thomann.d...ca_athad700.htm

:cool:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#29 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 22:55

Don't go with Thomann, heard some baaaaad things about them.

Better to just import it from the States.

Posted Image

#30 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:52

TF10 for $99!!

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Triple...OE/ref=lh_ni_t_

DO EET for your own sake!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#31 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:57

* Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise Isolating Earphones cannot be shipped to the selected address.

Screw you, Amazon.

Posted Image

#32 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:10

Use parcel redirecting service. I just ordered a spare pair using one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#33 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:59

Sobek is looking for some headphones under $30. I am not going to pretend I know much about headphones at this price range. I have heard good things about JVC Flats though. Maybe Alias or someone else have some better recommendations. Also, know what kind of headphones you are after will be good too. Are you after, earbuds, IEMs, on ear, or full size over ear?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#34 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:23

Over the ear or full size over the ear/studio is what I'm looking for. Earbuds are so annoying to use at times it's unbearable. I'm not looking for expensive headset's so ones around 30$, but preferably under is the line. Last headphones I had before they "died" on me were these, only about twenty dollars and lasted me about a year before it's death.

Edited by Sobek, 15 January 2011 - 10:29.

Formerly Sobek

#35 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:36

Are you planning to be using it just inside? If so, shell out a bit more and get the Audio Technica AD700. You won't get any quality headphones at your price, neither in SQ or build quality. My AD700s have been going for two years strong without a hitch, they're built like a tank.

Raptor, I'm mainly good with entry level, which is what I classify as being $100+, practically most under that price are pretty rubbish. (Some exceptions like RE0)

Posted Image

#36 Pandut

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 21:03

Alias, on 15 Jan 2011, 4:36, said:

Are you planning to be using it just inside? If so, shell out a bit more and get the Audio Technica AD700. You won't get any quality headphones at your price, neither in SQ or build quality. My AD700s have been going for two years strong without a hitch, they're built like a tank.

Raptor, I'm mainly good with entry level, which is what I classify as being $100+, practically most under that price are pretty rubbish. (Some exceptions like RE0)

I CAN'T go higher then 30. I simply don't have the funds and I don't want headphones at the best quality ever. Also, 150$ is not "shelling out a bit more", if I had that kind of money I wouldn't be asking for help.

EDIT: I might be able to do 40-50, but that's the limit.

Edited by Sobek, 15 January 2011 - 21:37.

Formerly Sobek

#37 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 22:09

They're $150AU here in Australia because of our absurd local pricing. The US price is $70-80US. I'd suggest you save for a bit longer, then. As I've mentioned countless times before, do you want to spend $50 every year or $150 every 4 or 5 years? It's not only more economical but you get better sound on top of that. Besides, aren't you a sound person anyway?

Posted Image

#38 Pandut

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 22:18

Alias, on 15 Jan 2011, 15:09, said:

They're $150AU here in Australia because of our absurd local pricing. The US price is $70-80US. I'd suggest you save for a bit longer, then. As I've mentioned countless times before, do you want to spend $50 every year or $150 every 4 or 5 years? It's not only more economical but you get better sound on top of that. Besides, aren't you a sound person anyway?

You have a point but living in Michigan, one of the most economically-poor states in the USA, is hard enough as it is to get any sort of money. Especially when one is unemployed :(. I'll see what I can do though, I think I have some spare crap lying around that I can sell...

Also, on Best Buy online it costs about 170$ and on Amazon it's 250$ although it's on sale for 100. So if I can maybe I'll try and get that.

Edited by Sobek, 15 January 2011 - 22:36.

Formerly Sobek

#39 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 22:28

Do eet. AD700 is one of the best entry phone I have heard. Not needing any amplifier, works fine out of pretty much everything as long as the source is good. I seriously recommend getting the AD700 over some junk any time.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#40 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 16 January 2011 - 16:38

Koss KSC75. They have a rather high sq to price ratio and also have a great design for sports. That's all I can think of at sub-$30. Maybe some Skullcandies :D
Posted Image

#41 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 15:53

If anyone in UK looking for headphones right now, HMV is doing a pretty awesome sale. 50% off.

Senn IE6 for £49.99
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetail...&sku=864046

Shure SRH750DJ for £59.99
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetail...&sku=299489

Denon D1100 for £69.99
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetail...&sku=860835

Pretty good choices for on the go uses and can do alright as home headphones too.

Edited by ΓΛPTΘΓ, 09 April 2011 - 16:04.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#42 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 18:10

looking for phones that have good noise isolation but are preferably below 80€

i do a lot of biking so some kind of design that cancels out that WOOOSH sound of rushing air would be great :duh: if it exists of course.
it's time to wake up

#43 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 23:56

I ride with my WS70 quite a lot myself, and actually planning to sell them. They are £130 retail in UK but I am selling them for £70.

For new ones, maybe a pair of Shure SRH750 DJ. But if you really want isolation, I recommend you to get some IEMs. Head-Direct RE0 are great at this price.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#44 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 00:12

Either RE0, or if you're really wanting the focus to be on isolation, get some Etymotics.

Posted Image

#45 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:05

Gotta question that is probably headphone-related:
if I have game sound trough my headphones, and my voice trough the mic, and ppl that speak to me say they can hear what I am hearing (not crystal clear, but for instance can hear when I'm building a Sentry in TF2), does it means that the wires of my headset to my PC are buggered?
Posted Image

#46 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:20

No, it means your volume is too loud. :duh:

Posted Image

#47 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:53

As Alias pointed out, it most likely volume related. It is easier to leak out the sound with a pair of open back headphones than a pair of closed back one too. If you tend to listen very loud, you could get a pair of closed pair of headphone to reduce leakage, or simply turn the volume down. Its better for your ears and wallet.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#48 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 11 April 2011 - 14:45

That, or I probably should disable the Windows function that it increases the loudness of my mic. I don't have the sound extremely loud, as then I will be deaf when I play Heavy :xD:
Posted Image

#49 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:00

Not sure if it will be helpful to anyone here, but still.

What I think about the AD1000PRM and the W5000

Note: This is not an everyday review that you see, if you hate this style, fine, so be it.

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD1000PRM, Audio Technica ATH-W5000

Amp: HA5000 reproduction version

Source: Asus Xonar Essence ST modded

^ Not excately a high-end system, but I haven't gotten any needs for upgrading.

Both headphones are stellar performers; to me there is actually no clear winner here, only differences in preference. Although I will be keeping both, they accompany each other very well. I will instinctively reach for one or the other at different times, where one might shine the most.

Audio Technica ATH-AD1000PRM - Concentrated Audio Ecstasy?

Posted Image

This pair of headphones is pretty much under the radar as it is a limited edition Audio Technica where it is not actually a “Flagship” product and mostly only seen sold in Japan.

Now, I have this pair of headphones for nearly two years and tried many phones but none does makes my feet tap as easily as they can. To describe them, I am just gonna call them, concentrated audio ecstasy, where it easy get my heartbeats raised and seriously messed up foot tapping. It is extremely fun and exciting to listen to, but does actually wears me out. Most the time, I just call “that is enough fun for today, I need to catch up my breath” around 1.5 hours of music listening on it.

Audio Technica ATH-W5000 - Smooth Flowing Aural Bliss?

Posted Image

As the current flagship headphone that Audio Technica produces, they have quite some honor to defend themselves. Well, I think they are doing pretty well.

Surely, I only got this a few days ago. But at the time I bought my AD1000PRM, I was deciding W5000 or the PRM. So I am quite familiar with its sounds and know what to expect. I described them as smooth flowing aural bliss, because the way music sound through it, is never very forceful, it just flows out naturally. It’s a relaxing phone, where it does reproduce the recordings effortlessly. Where I only found STAX setups (mainly O2MK2 with SRM-007t) and LCD2 is rivalling in that respect. Compared to the AD1000PRM, it doesn’t pumps the music into your ears, but simply flows into your brain. Even though it sounds so perfect on paper, it have never gotten me into a feet tapping frenzy. But to sit back, relax and slowly enjoy the ride.

Having typed all that, they both have a very different job to do and they are doing a great job currently. I hope someone out there actually understood a single word I written down here. :xD:

Edited by ΓΛPTΘΓ, 12 April 2011 - 03:01.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#50 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 22:23

I doubt much has changed since last time, but I am once again looking for a decent pair of clip-on over-ear headphones. I currently have a pair of Koss KSC75, and while the sound quality was marginally better (at least the bass was), they were much bulkier, heavier and much more difficult to actually clip on to the ear than my previous 2 pairs of Creative headphones. They also didn't last very long... the cable broke within a few weeks of buying them, the sound quality has recently gotten to a near-unbearable state.

Price generally isn't an issue, but on the other hand, I see no reason to pay more than £50 (I doubt there is anything in that price range anyway).

Anyone got any suggestions?

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users