The Fallout Studio headphones thread!

74 replies to this topic

#1 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:24

The amount of recommendation people asking prompted me to open a centralized thread to deal with all of it. Thanks Alias for reminding me.

So anything about headphones, post here!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:31

Raptor or myself should be able to help. I am more focussed on mid-end and entry level whereas Raptor is more accustomed to higher end equipment.

Our opinions may differ but we do agree on most things.

Posted Image

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 31 October 2010 - 14:15

Since the question was lost in LPTPW, I thought I'd ask it here as well. I'm considering the Jays v-JAYS or perhaps the c-JAYS if I wanna spend a little more. I like that they seem very light yet robust. I wonder if you've had the chance to try them or read about them.
Posted Image

#4 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 20:58

I have not heard them myself but from what I read they are mostly mediocre reviews. Most are saying does the job ok, sounds decent for the price, etc. Nothing exception. It is opened as well, so be prepared lots of noise coming in and you music going out. I recommend you get something else IMO.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#5 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:17

In fact I was looking for an open design so that is a plus for me.
Posted Image

#6 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:20

Eh, we mentioned it before. You do not want to use an open headphone for portable use. You're going to get a lot of leakage out (everyone can year you) and a lot of leakage in (you can't hear anything).

For portable use you should be using a closed headphone or IEMs.

Posted Image

#7 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:11

Something good for <$150.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:14

What are you intending to use them for?

Posted Image

#9 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:09

View Postdeltaepsilon, on 1 Nov 2010, 7:11, said:

Something good for <$150.

Same for me please..... but more like £75-£100

View PostMegatron, on 1 Nov 2010, 7:14, said:

What are you intending to use them for?

Gaming and ingame banter

#10 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:24

AD700 is generally the holy grail of entry-level computer audio. It should be under 100 quid as it can be found here for about $140-$150 (£90 or so). If you can't find it cheap locally I'd advise you to look for a US site, because it retails at about $80US there so even with $50 shipping (which is probably the most obscene it'd be) you should be able to get it cheaper. Here's what a quick search got me. $90US + $35US (~£80) postage to France (I couldn't check UK because your postcodes are bloody weird).

Same for Deltaepsilon, if you plan on using the headphones for indoor/computer use there isn't much competition against the AD700 in that regard. You can get them for $151AU delivered from PCCasegear.

Also please note: in the future for requests please state what you plan to use them for, there are many different types of headphones which all suit different purposes. When you go further up there's certain headphones better for certain genres as well, but if you're spending under $250/£150 I wouldn't bother about that.

Edited by Megatron, 01 November 2010 - 09:26.

Posted Image

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:38

Sorry, I had assumed from the "ingame banter" that it was obvious that I wanted headphones + [inbuilt]microphone. I don't really want two peripherals for one job. My fault for not explaining correctly.

#12 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:51

I have not heard a good pair of headset myself, the Sennheiser PC360 is not terrible but compare to headphones they are pretty overprice for it's sound.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#13 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:02

Ok, any suggestions for an external microphone to accompany the AD700's then?

#14 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:06

The Zalman clip on mic is what most people uses with it, I only uses a cheap Tesco desktop mic currently.

http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Zalman-...phone_1295.html
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#15 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:08

View PostΓΛΡΤΘ&#, on 1 Nov 2010, 20:51, said:

I have not heard a good pair of headset myself, the Sennheiser PC360 is not terrible but compare to headphones they are pretty overprice for it's sound.

I looked them up - they are quite steep.

Also, I'm in a similar boat to Wizard, in that I want a good headset combo, but I'm happy to settle for a good pair of headphones sans mic if it means my budget is not completely done away with.
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#16 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:16

I totally recommend a pair of AD700 with mic over any headsets I have heard by a longshot. It is overall cheaper as well. Unless you really hate the design, there is no reason to not get them, they have excellent sound for the price.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#17 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:17

I used to have a headset, but the first one stopped working on one ear and the other gave me a terrible ear pain. Possibly tinnitus as well.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#18 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:23

Well, it is important to watch the volume. it's too easy to keep turning it up to unhealthy level. What I do is start from 0 then turn it up so that it is enough to hear clearly. Leave it at that level so that I don't have the urge to turn it up.

It's all about self control afterall.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#19 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:02

View Postdeltaepsilon, on 1 Nov 2010, 21:08, said:

View PostΓΛΡΤΘ&#, on 1 Nov 2010, 20:51, said:

I looked them up - they are quite steep.

Also, I'm in a similar boat to Wizard, in that I want a good headset combo, but I'm happy to settle for a good pair of headphones sans mic if it means my budget is not completely done away with.
You're not going to find anything near the AD700 in terms of cost-to-sound in the pricerange you specified. They are built like a brick so they're not going to die any time soon. Buying 1 pair of $150 headphones every three years equates to the same cost as 3 pairs of $50 headphones in three years, with the added bonus of the $150 headphones having far better sound. If you really want to get them cheaper, you can get the AD700 for about $130 off Ebay, but it'll be a pain if you ever need to do anything with the warranty.

A cheap $5 microphone will substitute any headset mic fine, you're not recording songs or anything with it and VOIP traffic is usually highly compressed anyway. On the other hand, the headphones do matter. The AD700 is very well suited to gaming as it has a huge soundstage (aka how 'wide' it sounds) so the positional audio used by games actually works as it should.

In the price range you two specified there really isn't any competition to them for computer-based audio.

Edited by Megatron, 01 November 2010 - 11:07.

Posted Image

#20 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 19:26

For the price of $35, I think the ATH-FC700A should perform nicely :xD:

I know the ES7 or ESW9 would sound better but I doubt the difference would be worth the extra $65 and $150 respectively. Plus they are lighter :P
Posted Image

#21 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 19:37

Just used the Zalman clip-on mic for a while with my AD1000PRM, its rather nice. Doesn't pick up all my typing noise anymore and its much clearer, recommended.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#22 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:25

What do you think about the Logitech G35 7.1 Gaming Headset? I dont really care about music quality, its used primarily for games so I can hear where everyone is.
Posted Image

#23 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:47

Headphone surround sound is a gimmick.
Headphones are ALREADY surround sound and do binaural audio perfectly fine (go to Youtube and go to the barber shop demo, it sounds perfect on 2 channels).

If you want the ability to hear locations better get a headphone with a large soundstage, like the aforementioned AD700.

Posted Image

#24 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 16:39

I have heard all those "7.1" headset, I must say my setup is by far better then them in terms of soundstage, pin-point accuracy and sound quality.

For gaming, I suggest you get a good sound card and a pair of AD700 with Zalman mic, that is rather unbeatable for the price.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#25 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 18:16

View PostΓΛΡΤΘ&#, on 22 Nov 2010, 17:39, said:

I have heard all those "7.1" headset, I must say my setup is by far better then them in terms of soundstage, pin-point accuracy and sound quality.

For gaming, I suggest you get a good sound card and a pair of AD700 with Zalman mic, that is rather unbeatable for the price.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if they are available in the Netherlands
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users