Suggested Unit Suggestion Template

3 replies to this topic

#1 vader333

Casual

• 57 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 16:13

I was thinking about the super unit posts in GRANS, and thought that we should agree on a template to prevent unbalancing, argument and disappointment.

For a start:

1. Units must have at least 2 Hard counters not of the same mode of travel (air, Land and sea), and 3-4 soft counters
2. Units must not be able to single handedly win a game, single handedly meaning the mass production and use ,on any scale, of this single unit
3. Cost of Hard Counters and/or soft counters required to negate threat must not be more than 1.5 times of the cost of the suggested unit, and production time of such a number of counter units must not take longer than the length of time taken for the suggested unit to travel from one base to the other on the map Snow Plow.
4. Functions of suggested units must not make other pre-existing units redundant, in terms of cost, production time, travel speed, attack power, durability and function (AA, AT, AI), the last of which is foremost. (This point is obscure as I'm not sure if it is impossible to have two AA units with complementing roles, or vice versa)
5. Suggested units must be interesting. Duh.

Lemme know your thoughts, so I can post this on any other "new-unit-introducing" mod.
Posted Image

#2 Com-Link

Regular

• Project Leader
  • 150 posts
  • Projects: Shock Therapy

Posted 12 November 2010 - 14:05

View Postvader333, on 11 Nov 2010, 17:13, said:

I was thinking about the super unit posts in GRANS, and thought that we should agree on a template to prevent unbalancing, argument and disappointment.

For a start:

1. Units must have at least 2 Hard counters not of the same mode of travel (air, Land and sea), and 3-4 soft counters
2. Units must not be able to single handedly win a game, single handedly meaning the mass production and use ,on any scale, of this single unit
3. Cost of Hard Counters and/or soft counters required to negate threat must not be more than 1.5 times of the cost of the suggested unit, and production time of such a number of counter units must not take longer than the length of time taken for the suggested unit to travel from one base to the other on the map Snow Plow.
4. Functions of suggested units must not make other pre-existing units redundant, in terms of cost, production time, travel speed, attack power, durability and function (AA, AT, AI), the last of which is foremost. (This point is obscure as I'm not sure if it is impossible to have two AA units with complementing roles, or vice versa)
5. Suggested units must be interesting. Duh.

Lemme know your thoughts, so I can post this on any other "new-unit-introducing" mod.

I agree that there has to be some form of 'blank' were a Super Unit needs to fit in. But things like the cost, build time, and the amount of counters needed to destroy a single Super Unit come down to balancing.

As for a Super Unit making others redundant: In a way they'll always make units redundant. If I have Giga Fortresses, I'll need less Shoguns and Sea Wings (as it fills both spots while in Naval Mode). But the Giga Fortress has it's own weaknesses and down sides. Some players just go for it, and spam a 'critical mass' of Giga's, others might mix them with 'conventional', as in specialized, forces.
Of course, we don't want to make a Giga-Spam more effective then the mixed forces.
Posted Image

Mess with the Best
Die like the Rest

#3 vader333

Casual

• 57 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:06

About the Giga Fortress, I thought it would be better if it's range is around half that of Shogun, and less effective against buildings (maybe 60% effectiveness?). Also, how about making the missiles unable to fire at ground units?

While balancing is a ways from now, it is always good to keep it in mind. It does influence suggestions.
Posted Image

#4 Com-Link

Regular

• Project Leader
  • 150 posts
  • Projects: Shock Therapy

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:23

Moved the Giga Fortress discussion here as this topic does not cover existing Super Units, nor their balance.
Posted Image

Mess with the Best
Die like the Rest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users