56 replies to this topic

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 20:26

Kotaku Link

Posted Image

According to a report on Eurogamer Denmark, Elder Scrolls developers Bethesda are already hard at work on a fifth episode in the storied role-playing series.

"[Our] source not only confirmed that the game is in current production, but also spoke briefly about the content — with fantasy-sounding phrases like Dragon Lord, something with The Blades — and that voice acting for the characters in the game is currently happening in the weeks to follow", Eurogamer Denmark's boss Kristian West says.

"The same source confirmed, with official game documents in hand, that this will be the chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is the latest game in the now 16-years-old Elder Scrolls saga and by itself one of the better RPGs for PC and consoles."

Interesting. Having been teased in novels and yearned for in rap songs, it would be good news indeed if Bethesda — whose last outing was Fallout 3 — was returning to Oblivion's more inviting landscapes.

The atomic wastelands have a charm of their own, sure, but there's something about rolling fields and a blue sky that just makes you want to really live in a game world.

Interesting news :cool:

I really enjoyed Oblivion and have been waiting for any news on the next one, i hope it lives up to my hype.

Edited by TheDR, 13 December 2010 - 10:25.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 23 November 2010 - 20:29

want want want want!
I played Oblivion to death so this is epic news!

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 samster01

Lord Kirby

• Project Leader
  • 1317 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict Co-Leader and FF Beta Tester

Posted 23 November 2010 - 20:31

Ah awesome. :cool:

Hopefully the rumour is true.

I've spent a stupid amount of time playing Oblivion, one of my favourite RPG's ever. (Never got into Fallout 3, personally I prefer fantasy to post apocalyptic worlds).

Hopefully more information will be revealed soon.

- Sam
Posted Image

Posted Image
Many thanks to Pav3d for the awesome EC sig. :P Gameplay >>>>> Graphics Always

#4 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 23 November 2010 - 21:27

Oblivion could have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. It was fun, but the lack of weapon variety, NPC detailing and good voice acting put me out of the mood pretty quickly after about an hour to two. I just hope they make the beast races, Argonians and Khajiit, actually look beast-like instead of a lizard/tiger head copypasta'd onto a human body.

Edited by Sobek, 23 November 2010 - 21:28.

Formerly Sobek

#5 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:13

IMO the amount of enchantments and spells provide a massive amount of weapon variety.
There are also some pretty cool voices in there.
I loved the Argonian guy :O

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 23 November 2010 - 23:19

I will definitely be getting this for Xbox :cool:
Posted Image

#7 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:42

View PostSobek, on 24 Nov 2010, 8:27, said:

Oblivion could have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. It was fun, but the lack of weapon variety, NPC detailing and good voice acting put me out of the mood pretty quickly after about an hour to two. I just hope they make the beast races, Argonians and Khajiit, actually look beast-like instead of a lizard/tiger head copypasta'd onto a human body.
I've got to agree with this, to be honest. Oblivion had the worst case of "Bethesda characters" (aka everyone looks the same, acts the same, women look like men etc) in any game I've ever played. The gameplay was good but the atmosphere always got broken by how horribly cardboard all of the characters were.

Same thing with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but at least they have enough variety to keep you going. Oblivion is practically non-stop assaulting Obilvion gates.

I prefer Morrowind by a fair margin. Hopefully they can get it right, they've had 5 years since Oblivion.

Posted Image

#8 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:34

View PostAlias, on 24 Nov 2010, 1:42, said:

View PostSobek, on 24 Nov 2010, 8:27, said:

I've got to agree with this, to be honest. Oblivion had the worst case of "Bethesda characters" (aka everyone looks the same, acts the same, women look like men etc) in any game I've ever played. The gameplay was good but the atmosphere always got broken by how horribly cardboard all of the characters were.

Same thing with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but at least they have enough variety to keep you going. Oblivion is practically non-stop assaulting Obilvion gates.

I prefer Morrowind by a fair margin. Hopefully they can get it right, they've had 5 years since Oblivion.

I feel the same, oblivion didn't have enough stuff in it. By that I mean it may have had say 20 abandoned forts, but they all used the same tileset. Essentially the entire game was just a few zones. Grassland / Caves / Fortress / Ancient ruins and the Oblivion areas. What they need to do is mix it up ALOT. So you don't feel like your in the same place over and over, which I did. The lack of items was also a problem.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Erik

Feels green.

• Project Leader
  • 978 posts
  • Projects: ZH: Frontlines

Posted 04 December 2010 - 17:11

While you wait you might aswell try "Nehrim - at fates edge" an amazing total conversion for oblivion, far better than the original game in my opinion.

#10 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:47

Not a rumor anymore it seems.

Edited by Sobek, 12 December 2010 - 08:40.

Formerly Sobek

#11 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:28

Yay!

That looks really good, although i hope it's just not more of Oblivion. The things i hope have drastically changed are the engine and the leveling system, if they can use the stuff they learned from doing Fallout 3 to their advantage we could be onto a winner |8
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#12 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 13:46

That has made my day!
This will be a definite purchase for me.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 12 December 2010 - 15:51

I beg Bethesda to have more environments than last time. Please don't make a game where I can tell which blocks of scenery have been reused in 20 different places. Do it more DA style, have lots of completely different, unique and wonderous locations.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 12 December 2010 - 15:52.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Magma

Regular

• 174 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:30

Good news everyone:
Oh Good, Elder Scrolls V Won't Use That Broken old Engine

Been wondering myself too about that, good thing they changed it.
Question is; what kind of engine they are planning to put in it, more importantly; how stable and flexible. (thinking about modders and their mods)
I had about 200 mods on my last Oblivion playthrough which raised lot's of it's initial gameplay mechanics and things to do in it.
Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it... It really is worth fighting for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk everything, you risk even more.

________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone needs believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
________________________________________________________________________________
My greatest weapon is my knowledge.... And laser beam eyes.

#15 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:01

YES!

Major win. If they get this game right and don't fall into the same traps they have done before, it could be one of the best games of all time.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#16 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 18:57

Oh hell yes! :D
The new just keeps getting better :P

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 13:41

RIP gamebryo :P

while you were annoying as fuck most of the time, you also granted us the power to mod like we never modded before.

Edited by Camille, 14 December 2010 - 13:41.

it's time to wake up

#18 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 14:22

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/08/bethesda-c...caling-feature/

Looks like they have moved more towards the Fallout 3 system.
I never really had a problem with the old system as it ensured the game was always challenging, no matter how good you got.
However, i have faith that they will make this system work as well :duh:

Edit - Another link here with much more detail about the game - http://scrawlfx.com/2011/01/first-elder-sc...-skyrim-details

Its sounding better and better every time :xD:

Mike

Edited by Mbob61, 08 January 2011 - 14:26.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 14:42

Scans from Game Informer :duh:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#20 Warlock

Semi-Pro

• 217 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 00:48

Oh damn it, I love Elder Scrolls games, and after reading all the articles you guys have linked, I'm getting so excited :xD:

It's good to know that they're changing the leveling system this time round :duh:

#21 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 18:08

These changes should be for the better :duh:
Posted Image

#22 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 22:57

Many new details and a new screeny! :P
Click me!

Posted Image

Mike

Edited by Mbob61, 18 January 2011 - 22:57.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Warlock

Semi-Pro

• 217 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:14

The graphics that are able to produced with this new engine are breathtaking :P

#24 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:56

View PostGrey_Vengeance, on 19 Jan 2011, 8:14, said:

The graphics that are able to produced with this new engine are breathtaking 8|

Yes massive improvement over Oblivion and Fallout :xD:

Seems it might be cheaper for me to get it on PS3 than PC (might need a GPU upgrade :likey:)
Posted Image

#25 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:32

I dunno, always felt that RPG's were best on PC, although I'll probably get it for console, due to my pc being a shitty overheating mess.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users