56 replies to this topic

#26 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:43

View PostSquigPie, on 21 Jan 2011, 13:32, said:

I dunno, always felt that RPG's were best on PC, although I'll probably get it for console, due to my pc being a shitty overheating mess.

Yeah but the Oblivion style RPG is actually fine on consoles. Dragon Age on PS3 was very crappy (saw it at a friend's)
Posted Image

#27 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:48

As Scope said, Action RPGs like Oblivion tend to work okay on consoles, but Tactical RPGs like Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age et al don't particularly work well as there's far too much UI interaction involved. That said, even Action RPGs play better on PC, but I wouldn't say they're unplayable on a console.

Edited by Alias, 21 January 2011 - 11:48.

Posted Image

#28 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:58

The main advantage of PC versions of said RPGs is their moddability. But from a gameplay point of view, little is lost on a console imo. Also I choose PS3 over Xbox 360 for the possibility of free updates (MS doesn't allow that).

Edited by Scope, 21 January 2011 - 12:01.

Posted Image

#29 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:03

Is it even possible to play modded games on PS3?

Ontopic: Can we expect to be unabble to understand anything unless we know the universe well?

Edited by SquigPie, 21 January 2011 - 12:04.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#30 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:23

More information :likey:

The Dragon Shouts

I haven't read it all yet but the bit i have read sounds interesting 8|

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:28

This latest news has made me a bit weary, i really don't want the Dragons to become the new Oblivion gate. What i don't want to happen is for them to be everywhere and have a tedious way of defeating them.

I guess i can only hope for the best D:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#32 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 15:51

HELL YEAH!

Edited by TheDR, 24 February 2011 - 15:51.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#33 samster01

Lord Kirby

• Project Leader
  • 1317 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict Co-Leader and FF Beta Tester

Posted 24 February 2011 - 16:09

Hell yes! This is what I've been waiting to see. 8|

I'm too stunned to properly comprehend most of the gameplay shown in the trailer atm.

Skyrim is already looking incredibly epic, loving that theme music.

- Sam
Posted Image

Posted Image
Many thanks to Pav3d for the awesome EC sig. :P Gameplay >>>>> Graphics Always

#34 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 16:11

Meh, meh, and more meh tbh.

Looks like a rip-off of Dragon Age too. Then again, never been a fan of the Elder Scrolls series. The game, music etc all look/sound good, but I just can't shake the feeling that its going to be pretty mediocre. I am also opposed to them launching a game on Armistice Day.

Edited by AJ, 24 February 2011 - 16:12.

For there can be no death without life.

#35 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 16:32

View PostAJ, on 24 Feb 2011, 17:11, said:

Looks like a rip-off of Dragon Age too. Then again, never been a fan of the Elder Scrolls series. The game, music etc all look/sound good, but I just can't shake the feeling that its going to be pretty mediocre. I am also opposed to them launching a game on Armistice Day.

Dragon Age looks like an Elder Scrolls ripoff.

Honestly AJ, this series has been around for a long time, and even if it's a good game, Dragon Age isn't very original. saying another game from a much older series looks like a ripoff is...wierd. It's like saying Dawn of War is a Starcraft ripoff.

Edited by SquigPie, 24 February 2011 - 16:51.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#36 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 16:58

View PostSquigPie, on 24 Feb 2011, 16:32, said:

Honestly AJ, this series has been around for a long time, and even if it's a good game, Dragon Age isn't very original. saying another game from a much older series looks like a ripoff is...wierd. It's like saying Dawn of War is a Starcraft ripoff.

Not really what I was implying, more the addition of dragons being the rip-off point. My limited knowledge of Elder Scrolls tells me that the game didn't really have much to do with dragons until Skyrim.... The enviroment and gameplay mechanics are as old as the hills, and as long as I've been a gamer, I still have no idea where the RPG genre could class as being founded.

EDIT:

Wikipedia said:

Dragons

Killed off by the Tsaesci, they were said to be very intelligent and capable of communication with Nedic visitors to Akavir. The dragons of Vvardenfell were supposedly wiped out by the cliff racers that were brought south from Akavir during their invasion of Tamriel and found a natural home in the wastes of the island. However, the dragons appear to be coming back in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Whilst I realise that the game obviously has a massive following already, one cannot ignore the fact that with the recent success of games like Dragon Age, Bethseda is cashing in a little.

Edited by AJ, 24 February 2011 - 17:01.

For there can be no death without life.

#37 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 17:01

Well, we ARE talking about a fanbase that's old as the hills, do you really think they'd appreciate rampant changes to the gameplay and verse? 8|

Don't know about the dragons though.

Edited by SquigPie, 24 February 2011 - 17:01.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#38 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 17:02

The game looks simply beautiful. This will be one of very few games ill actually pre order before release.
So far, this hasn't disappointed.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 17:50

Whilst I am no follower of the series, the most epic thing about this looks like the release date 11:11 11.11.11. 8| Lots of pretty scenery, that's about it.

#40 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 19:03

In Oblivion,
Spoiler

Posted Image

#41 Nem

Director

• Gold Member
  • 1417 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 19:43

View PostAJ, on 24 Feb 2011, 11:58, said:

BETHESDA STOLE DRAGON AGE'S DRAGONS!

The addition of medieval creatures to a Medieval type universe seems like a natural progression to me. I highly doubt Bethesda was inspired by anything else but the very theme the game is based on, and as Scope has pointed out it was implied that Dragons would be an addition in the previous title which was released before Dragon Age was even conceptualized.

I have been interested in picking up a Elder Scrolls game for a while, and thanks to that impressive trailer I'm finally ready to hop on the bandwagon. Between this, BF3 and a variety of other AAA titles, this year is looking like a great one, to be a gamer.

Edited by Nem, 24 February 2011 - 19:53.

#42 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 22:35

Me and Sam had a detailed watch of the trailer, some little things we noticed:
  • The Skeleton with the blue eyes at one point says "Get him" in a creepy voice which is awesome. Also, you can see one reacting to an axe to the head at one point, which also looks great.

• There is a Nirnroot in the trailer, maybe as a trailer Easter Egg or just for no reason at all (Oblivion reference).

• It appears that the third person view has improved dramatically and looks like a feature rather than just tagged on like in Oblivion and Fallout 3.

• Flashy new sneak attack moves (you can see someone sneak up and cut someones neck from behind).

• Waterfalls and rivers look more life like.

• In the part where the player fires a staff you can see the opening at the end of the cave, which could mean that caves will be more embedded into mountains without loading screens.

• At the end, there is a massive mountain in the background which we can assume thats it's climbable

PC Gamer have also done a similar thing.

Edit: Oh also the trailer was made using the 360 version, but that would mean the PC version would look *explodes*

Edited by TheDR, 24 February 2011 - 22:51.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#43 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 00:10

View PostAJ, on 24 Feb 2011, 17:58, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 24 Feb 2011, 16:32, said:

Not really what I was implying, more the addition of dragons being the rip-off point. My limited knowledge of Elder Scrolls tells me that the game didn't really have much to do with dragons until Skyrim.... The enviroment and gameplay mechanics are as old as the hills, and as long as I've been a gamer, I still have no idea where the RPG genre could class as being founded.

EDIT:

Wikipedia said:

Dragons

Killed off by the Tsaesci, they were said to be very intelligent and capable of communication with Nedic visitors to Akavir. The dragons of Vvardenfell were supposedly wiped out by the cliff racers that were brought south from Akavir during their invasion of Tamriel and found a natural home in the wastes of the island. However, the dragons appear to be coming back in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Whilst I realise that the game obviously has a massive following already, one cannot ignore the fact that with the recent success of games like Dragon Age, Bethseda is cashing in a little.

Dude...Dragons are part of TES lore since the beginning. Saying that dragons didnt exist in the story simply because there never was a TES game that revolved mostly around dragons is kinda ignorant.
Posted Image

#44 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 25 February 2011 - 00:33

Impressive graphics but the same could be said for Oblivon at the time. While I played Oblivion and enjoyed it, it felt like a missed opportunity, particularily the feel of the game. Everything felt rather copy pasted and exploration got tedious rather fast. If I like what I see when it comes out though, this is another game to add to my collection.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:39

New Skyrim Q&A, interesting stuff :)
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#46 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 19:12

MUST. RESIST. URGE. TO JIZZ.
Posted Image

#47 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 22:05

This has been out a long time ;P
Still epic though! ;P

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 samster01

Lord Kirby

• Project Leader
  • 1317 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict Co-Leader and FF Beta Tester

Posted 18 April 2011 - 18:35

New Skyrim details via a new in-depth IGN article.

IGN had the opportunity to play the 360 version recently, and they reported a lot of new info.

The article also contains a 2 minute video interview with the game director of Skyrim, which talks a little bit about the introduction of the game, and about Dragons.

A few standouts from the article:

- Skyrim's map is now fully 3D, unlike in Oblivion.
- The 8 attribute categories from Oblivion has been cut to three; Health. Magicka, and Stamina.
- A new Dragonshout slows down time around you.
- 120 dungeons.
- 20-24 Dragonshouts. (Number may change depending on what they think works best).

Enjoy. :P

I really like the sound of the Dragonshout that slows down time around you. That could be useful in so many situations. :read:

- Sam

Edited by samster01, 18 April 2011 - 18:35.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Many thanks to Pav3d for the awesome EC sig. :P Gameplay >>>>> Graphics Always

#49 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 18 April 2011 - 22:36

120 dungeons? Wow, thats alot, just hope they're nicely varied this time.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 00:57

From reading that, it sounds like a lot more steamlined version of Oblivion.
My only real worry about what I have read their is that cutting the attributes from 10 to 3 might make them a bit simple.
Other than that, I'm very excited!

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users