Panasonic GF1 vs G2

2 replies to this topic

#1 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 19:55

Ok, so let me cut to the chase here. I have a choice of one of two cameras here, either a Panasonic GF1, a lightweight micro four-thirds SLR camera, or a Panasonic G2, a slightly bulkier micro four-thirds SLR camera. I basically need some help choosing the better one.

My concerns/major points on the cameras are as such:

GF1 is far smaller and more compact, and may be more suited to my Uni lifestyle (always on the go)
GF1 does not have a viewfinder of any sort, and I wonder whether you think this would be a detrimental thing.
G2 has a higher ISO rating (6400 vs 3200)
GF1 comes with a thinner lens (20mm vs 14-42mm), will lack of zoom be prohibitive?

So basically, somebody in a better position to judge than me, which would you rather have, and why?

Cheers <87
For there can be no death without life.

#2 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 24 November 2010 - 22:15

I'd take the GF2, without knowing much about the cameras, it looks like you're debating size vs functionality- and I'd go with functionality. It really isn't all that limiting to have a larger camera (especially if it's only slightly larger) and I'd side with the features here.
kinda, sorta alive.

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 27 November 2010 - 22:59

Take the GF1. The slimmer 20mm 1.7 will be great in low light. The lack of a viewfinder will only impact you if you decide to get a longer zoom. Also these cams have the same sensor, and trust me the results at 6400 ISO are not pretty at all. I barely touch 3200 and 1600 with my G1. Plus the GF1 is sexier. Also you can always buy the add-on EVF later (even though it isnt that good)
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users