Mod Project: Dark Summer'96

37 replies to this topic

#1 Zla_Khata

• 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 14:20

Hi, guys. My name is Grigoriy, I'm from Ukraine and I'm going to show you my mod idea:

Posted Image

The brief story follows:

"In the alternative Europe, where the Cold War has ended in 1995, one more battle has to be fought to end all wars.

In 1995 not the communists and neither the democrats have taken the upper hand, but the Nordic-style nationalists. The USA and the USSR are no more, but in the center of Europe there is still no calm. The newly-declared Central Asian dictatorships have fully cut out all energy supplies.

In the vast steppes of Russia the new nationalist regime is fighting and fighting not very succesfuly with the Red Guard - proponents of the restoration of Soviet Union. Russia's full collapse may bring Europe not only disatrous shortages of every possible energy resourse, but being surrounded by a ring of nuclear-armed rogue-state which may and will threaten Europa and what's more horrible - to fall victim to the rising Asian hegemonies.

One is sure - the expedition to Russia is inevitable. Now the only obstacle to Europe's Invasion of Russia is the neighboring superpower - Intermarum, also known as the Eastern European Union. Besides - European Union's of Germany worst enemy. Without acces to their colony of North Saamiland the invasion is impossible. Will the Intermarum join European Union's last crusade or will it use the opportunity to blockade the EU - it's nemesis?
Meanwhile, Eurowaffe's stealth bombers approach the capital city of Kiew..."

- We will have 3 sides, 2 of which are the radical nationalist European Union (don't forget we're in the alternative timeline) and the stagnating, yet powerful it's Eastern antipode - Intermarum, uniting all the states of Eastern Europe. The third side is yet to be decided (Sahara? Russia? or Turan? everything is too yummi)
- Broad arsenal of vehicles both realistic, fantastic and outdated - cyborgs, stealth bombers, Leopard-3, WW2-flak cannons and upgraded T-34 tanks
- In the future - 3 generals per faction, the same like in ZH.
- Immense story line and campaign taking place in locations ranging from North Sahara to the North Pole.

Some models already made:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The project right now is at it's embryo stage - the idea came to me a week ago, and it took 2 days to make a map. But I won't make it alone and any help from any able guys would be highly appreciated.
And feel free to say your opinion (whatever it is) about this sketch of a mod - your point of view may decide everything 8|

Edited by Zla_Khata, 03 December 2010 - 14:30.

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 14:27

You've put quite a lot of work into this already I see, but you've not told us what game it's for. If it is for ZH, as you mention here:

View PostZla_Khata, on 3 Dec 2010, 14:20, said:

- In the future - 3 generals per faction, the same like in ZH.

Then you aren't going to be able to use models as detailed as this
Posted Image
Impressive though it is.

Good luck.

#3 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 15:13

very good models but absolutely impossible to incorporate in ZH...
it's time to wake up

#4 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 15:24

Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are part of the United Kingdom. Also, on your map you have a United Ireland. I take it by an alternate time-line or universe that there are very little/next to no similarities to our own and that those similarities that do exist are in name only.

The models look good, but I would liked to have seen them with a texture.

#5 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 17:19

View PostCamille, on 3 Dec 2010, 16:13, said:

Uhh, nope. Wrong. It MIGHT cause problems on older PCs, but it's absolutely not impossible. Although I'd advise to use lower-poly models, or to go with CnC3 instead.

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 03 December 2010 - 17:19.

#6 Zla_Khata

• 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 17:42

It's already intended for C&C-3 or SC-2 only :P Where did you get about ZH?

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 18:23

View PostZla_Khata, on 3 Dec 2010, 17:42, said:

It's already intended for C&C-3 or SC-2 only :P Where did you get about ZH?

You mentioned it and didn't stipulate what engine it was for.

#8 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 18:29

View PostSgt. Rho, on 3 Dec 2010, 18:19, said:

Uhh, nope. Wrong. It MIGHT cause problems on older PCs, but it's absolutely not impossible. Although I'd advise to use lower-poly models, or to go with CnC3 instead.

i know it's possible but like you said, not everyone that plays ZH has a good pc. especially not here.
it's time to wake up

#9 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 03 December 2010 - 18:56

View PostCamille, on 3 Dec 2010, 19:29, said:

View PostSgt. Rho, on 3 Dec 2010, 18:19, said:

i know it's possible but like you said, not everyone that plays ZH has a good pc. especially not here.

I somewhat disagree...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#10 Zla_Khata

• 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 20:58

View PostStinger, on 3 Dec 2010, 16:24, said:

Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are part of the United Kingdom. Also, on your map you have a United Ireland. I take it by an alternate time-line or universe that there are very little/next to no similarities to our own and that those similarities that do exist are in name only.

History could be very different if:
- US were on the verge of exhaustion near the end of Cold War
- the last leader of USSR wasn't Gorbachev and if he asked to Germany out of NATO in exchange for United Germany
- the Nazi ideology would have gain prominence once more time on the background of economic difficulties and streams of immigrants
- the Russian and other Eastern Europeans communists wouldn't have given their seats so easily

As for UK, the Nazi regime have won there only partially, hence the non-Nazi governments in other parts

The models look good, but I would liked to have seen them with a texture.

Right at the moment it's a two-men project and in it's birth-stage :P Just wait until it gains momentum

As was said before, the goal is a highly-detailized C&C-3 & SC2 mod and if everything will go smoothly - with graphics comparable with MEC2 and if Allah and gods will be merciful - pretending for a MOTY-2011.

Logos of the first 2 sides:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The EU's army in this mod will be the top of the technological progress, although because of deficit of money\materials sometimes utilizing older tech for auxiliary roles.
On the opposite side, Intermarum's arsenal mostly consists of backward Soviet and Warsaw pact equipment (even MiG-19 fighters), but mostly doesn't mean entirely. The third side will be either Russia either Turan.

Edited by Zla_Khata, 03 December 2010 - 20:59.

#11 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:13

Ditch the swastika idea. Not everyone would appreciate it if you would have that as an army logo (especially if it ain't a WW2 mod).
Posted Image

#12 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:34

Nazi imagery is also against the rules of many websites and illegal in Germany among other countries, iirc.

#13 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 15:32

And everyone fails to realise that the swastika isn't a nazi symbol. Merely was used by them. >.>

#14 R3ven

Veteran

• Project Team
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 15:56

The Nazi swastika was tilted on it's side and rotated from what the flag he made shows. The original swastika(which is what is on his flag) actually means peace if I recall correctly.

Hitler and one of his advisers simply made it represent antisemitism.

#15 Zla_Khata

• 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 16:13

Before swastika being associated in public opinion with German Nazis it was one of the most commonly used symbols for representing something good, lucky and everyone like that in the West.
For e.g. here you can see ("OMG!" for a modern bystander) a Coca-Cola swastika:
Posted Image

A children's postcard with a swastika:
Posted Image

Another example:
Posted Image

Just 12 years before 1939 it was assosiated stereotypically with nothing except purely good (luck, good wishes and so on).

Imagine that the Nazis have selected another symbol, symbolizing previously kindness and love:

Posted Image

Few years of genocide, war crimes - and once benevolent symbol is now put under hatred and anathema. Dumb, isn't it? It's the same as to hate the table for accidentally being hit by it.

Strange is that discussion about the mod have gradually shifted to discussion about the swastika, and what's more ridiculous - that it's author participates in it :P Let's get down to the symbols. If we want to show the Nazis - there couldn't be a better symbol for them then the swastika (just because of the same ridiculous stereotypes which we may not support, but would use)

#16 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 04 December 2010 - 16:34

*Skips the usual debate about the swastika*

I forgot to post my actual opinion on the mod : One thing is sure, I like that VBT model, and I also find the storyline a bit interesting, it changes from the usual "US saving the world" scenario.
Also, I laughed at the name United Sahara Republics :P

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#17 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 04 December 2010 - 17:31

No matter how you spin it, its still Nazi imagery on somewhere where you're not meant to post it. Plus it will generally piss people off that you're using Nazi imagery in anything other than a WW2 mod.

In regards to the mod, models look good (apart from being very high poly, but it can be pulled off) but itll be years before you make any real progress. You might aswell use your modelling skills to help another mod team.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 00:09

View PostSgt. Rho, on 4 Dec 2010, 15:32, said:

And everyone fails to realise that the swastika isn't a nazi symbol. Merely was used by them. >.>

View PostR3ven, on 4 Dec 2010, 15:56, said:

The Nazi swastika was tilted on it's side and rotated from what the flag he made shows. The original swastika(which is what is on his flag) actually means peace if I recall correctly.

Hitler and one of his advisers simply made it represent antisemitism.

View PostZla_Khata, on 4 Dec 2010, 16:13, said:

Before swastika being associated in public opinion with German Nazis it was one of the most commonly used symbols for representing something good, lucky and everyone like that in the West.

Few years of genocide, war crimes - and once benevolent symbol is now put under hatred and anathema. Dumb, isn't it? It's the same as to hate the table for accidentally being hit by it.

I'll refrain from calling you all "utter retards" and instead resort to "foolish people". How many of you would dare to wear a swastika in public on the pretext that by doing so you're spreading peace and understanding? As it happens, I do know that the swastika has meant different things over the years, mostly to do with peace and good fortune. But somehow, an entire world war fought within living memory against a genocidal regime co-opted the swastika and turned it into a symbol of evil and hatred. Precisely how many people do you think are still out there who look at a swastika and think to themselves “oh, that symbol has nothing at all in any way to do with global genocide of an entire race and, even if it did, one should totally and reasonably ignore that because it’s a symbol that was stolen or coop-ted from religions.”? Do any of you think that?

(N.B. Large portions of this rant were unashamedly nicked from head of Xbox Live enforcement Stephen Toulouse's blog, which I urge you all to read in order to gain a little bloody perspective)

View PostZla_Khata, on 4 Dec 2010, 16:13, said:

Strange is that discussion about the mod have gradually shifted to discussion about the swastika, and what's more ridiculous - that it's author participates in it :P Let's get down to the symbols. If we want to show the Nazis - there couldn't be a better symbol for them then the swastika (just because of the same ridiculous stereotypes which we may not support, but would use)

This goes back to my original point. There is indeed no better symbol to represent Nazis than the swastika, which is why by including it in your mod in a non-historical context you are essentially closing off an awful lot of potential avenues of advertisement (I doubt somewhere like Moddb would allow you to display nazi imagery such as the swastika on their site), while at the same time pissing off an awful lot of potential players of your mod by associating the symbol of the EU with the symbol of the Nazis in such an obvious way. To reiterate, the swastika is illegal to display in countries such as Germany, and professional game developers go a long way to ensure that the symbol does not make it into any of their games in any way, shape or form. So for the love of god, change the damn swastika into something else and represent your "evil EU regime" in some other way.

Edited by Rich19, 05 December 2010 - 00:20.

#19 Zeke

The X General

• Project Team
  • 3504 posts
  • Projects: Deep Impact (formerly EC)

Posted 05 December 2010 - 00:45

*just ignores swastika discussion*

The mod looks good so far.

But as you said it's too early to make any assumptions yet, so I'll wait till this mod gains proper momentum :P

#20 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:07

*Hugs his swastika pendant that brings him good luck*

Stop hatin' on the symbol i really love D:

*cough*

...ahem...

Anyway, i'm liking the mod's description sofar and since you said it's still early in its development, i'm going to track this mod. :P

#21 R3ven

Veteran

• Project Team
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:56

View PostRich19, on 4 Dec 2010, 19:09, said:

(I doubt somewhere like Moddb would allow you to display nazi imagery such as the swastika on their site)

http://www.moddb.com...s/cc-nazi-alert

I beg to differ.

#22 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:45

View PostR3ven, on 5 Dec 2010, 4:56, said:

View PostRich19, on 4 Dec 2010, 19:09, said:

(I doubt somewhere like Moddb would allow you to display nazi imagery such as the swastika on their site)

http://www.moddb.com...s/cc-nazi-alert

I beg to differ.

Well, I am surprised at that. I've never heard of that mod though (it looks like a classic case of "doomed before starting" too), and I wonder how long it took you to find it. It seems to me that the WW2 mods with the biggest following have all chosen to replace the swastika with other symbols -
Forgotten hope
Resistance and Liberation
etc...
The only ones with swastikas are unknown enough to "slip under the radar" as it were.

Also, is that the only part of my post you disagree with?

Edited by Rich19, 05 December 2010 - 10:49.

#23 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:33

Damn, what have I started. Sorry Zla_Khata, it wasn't my intention to derail your mod thread. My only intention was to point out that not everyone would appreciate a Swastika, for whatever reason they may have. It's up to you to decide if you'll still use it or not.
Posted Image

#24 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts
  • Projects: Situation Zero

Posted 05 December 2010 - 14:38

Just change the symbol? It cleary angers certain people and if you change it , it makes everyone happy, although it might not afffect most people i personally don't like being reminded of the holocaust everytime i play your mod.

anyways good luck on your mod. what system will it be used on though , starcraft 2 or C&C3?

Edited by Zhao, 05 December 2010 - 14:38.

#25 Zla_Khata

• 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 19:18

Hell, guys! For my Eastern eyes it's beyond the grasp to understand how could people get fussy because of a MERE GEOMETRIC symbol!
This mod doesn't uses the German WW2 flag or any other WW2 Nazi imaginery. So it's HASN'T any Nazi imaginery. Everything other is just similarities. If we ban similiraties, why won't we ban the real-life Leopard tank because it looks like "the same tank that the genocidal regime has used to torture humanity" or smth like that?

Edited by Zla_Khata, 05 December 2010 - 19:36.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users