Man officially cured of HIV

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 16 December 2010 - 13:11

I look at reality TV all the celebrity bollocks and other social matters and think " God humans are terrible " - And some without a doubt are.

But for most awful terrible things, there is usually something wonderful to counterbalance it.

http://gizmodo.com/5...ly-cured-of-hiv
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 16 December 2010 - 14:19

Excellent news. By the sounds of it the procedure was horrible, but it came through in the end.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 16:27

I read about it, yeah, but do note that this will probably not be generally applicable. In this case, the guy already suffered from an immune disease so he didn't have any immune cells at all and what they did was simply give him new cells; basically speaking it confirmed that if you take out all the infected cells and replace them with healthy ones, the disease is cured. It's much like saying you can cure cancer by taking out all cancer cells :xD: . The lack of applicability here is shown in that this procedure will only save people who have that other disease or who have no immune system at all, and it's not a very good idea to forcibly introduce this into the patient.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 16:27

TBH this sounds less like a cure and more like a full immune system transplant. It's like "fixing" a broken leg by amputating an attaching a new one.

Still, might give some people hope.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#5 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 16 December 2010 - 16:43

View PostChyros, on 16 Dec 2010, 16:27, said:

I read about it, yeah, but do note that this will probably not be generally applicable. In this case, the guy already suffered from an immune disease so he didn't have any immune cells at all and what they did was simply give him new cells; basically speaking it confirmed that if you take out all the infected cells and replace them with healthy ones, the disease is cured. It's much like saying you can cure cancer by taking out all cancer cells :xD: . The lack of applicability here is shown in that this procedure will only save people who have that other disease or who have no immune system at all, and it's not a very good idea to forcibly introduce this into the patient.

I'm aware of that, but its still one step further to curing HIV. Which can only be a good thing.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 16 December 2010 - 21:11

Basically, this news gives hope for pushing into stem cell research which will allow the culturing of marrow like that of the donor. Still gonna be a hugely expensive cure and dangerous at that. And damn that guy had a bad life. Leukemia AND HIV? He has been given TWO new leases on life.
Posted Image

#7 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:20

Leave it to the Germans to do that !

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users