Is needing a new camera

28 replies to this topic

#1 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:46

Well to expand my armature photography skills i need a better camera than what i got, Any suggestions? Also the camera needs to take a decent video as well. Any photographers got any advice?

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#2 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:50

*Moved to SCIENCE!

To help, it would probably be a good start if you'd tell us what your current camera is, and what sort of budget you've got :xD:
For there can be no death without life.

#3 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:00

If someone needs a camera it's Chyros :xD:

Well I don't know anything about cameras, my bad.
Posted Image

#4 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:02

Well is a Sony Cybershot, 3.2 megapixles. Not much else i can tell you about it apart from being ancient. Im not exactly wanting a 10 grand National Geo pro's gear set up just some thing above average i guess. Money isn't that much of an issue.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#5 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:31

I know a bit about Canon cameras but I don't know what to suggest because you haven't said how much your budget is, what type of photography you're interested in, or where you're going to be using it.

Have you been looking at any camera or cameras in particular?

#6 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:38

Well i no nothing about cameras or costs, All im looking for is a decent picture quality and the ability to do some video camera work. I will be using it at work or camping and other out doors activities.

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:43

If you want decent picture quality try these two:

Canon
Nikon, Price in U$

Or perhaps you might tell us how much you want to spend?

#8 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:00

Shit 7 grand certainly not that much for a Canon. What can you get for around 1 thousand?

#9 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:07

Try and get a 500D or 550D. Mid-entry level. Does good video along with great photos.

You should be able to find a kit from a retailer for about $1000-$1200, but if you're willing to take the extra yards and be a tightarse like me, you can probably pick up a second hand (which for cameras, really doesn't matter unless it's been beaten to hell and back) 500D for $500-700. Look around on Ebay and classifieds and you might find something. A few years back my mate picked up a 450D + 2 lenses for around $400.

Look around a lot and don't impulse buy.

Posted Image

#10 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:37

The 550 is some thing to what would suit my needs for standard picture taking and video for moderately moving targets.

#11 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:48

Note, if you're not looking for a systems camera (eg one with swappable lenses), or a Digital SLR, then you could look at a high-end compact instead. These have extremely good image quality and a lot of adjustable settings, such as shutter speed/etc, but in the body of a far smaller camera so you can pop it in your pocket and take pictures on the go. Obvious tradeoffs are that you can't swap the lens out. If that sort of thing tickles your fancy, I believe Scope recommended a Panasonic LX3/5, or a Canon S95. They're both decent cameras with a lot of bang for your buck :D

#12 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:09

Woah the Panasonic LX3/5 has similiar cosmetic looks to my old Nikkon FG-20. The pocket cameras are good but i would like to get back into fiddling with lenses again and prove to my self i can use a proper one. (i was horrify shit with lens work in photography class) I seemed to have a knack for still shots on moving targets :D
All my mates have Cannon powershot cameras and they do take good pics so should i be different and get a Lumix?

#13 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:30

For a long time I was looking at a Lumix G2 - it's a good systems camera with some neat touches, and isn't too dear. Its also a 4/3s camera so it's not extremely hefty :D

#14 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:49

View PostAlias, on 29 Dec 2010, 13:07, said:

Try and get a 500D or 550D. Mid-entry level. Does good video along with great photos.

You should be able to find a kit from a retailer for about $1000-$1200, but if you're willing to take the extra yards and be a tightarse like me, you can probably pick up a second hand (which for cameras, really doesn't matter unless it's been beaten to hell and back) 500D for $500-700. Look around on Ebay and classifieds and you might find something. A few years back my mate picked up a 450D + 2 lenses for around $400.

Look around a lot and don't impulse buy.

Problem with those is no autofocus in video.

I would recommend either the Panasonic LX5 or the Canon S95 tbh. If you really wanna experiment with a larger sensor, the Olympus E-PL1 is nice as well as the Panasonic Lumix G2 (or G10). If you don't mind the heftier weight, there is also the Pentax K-x or the Nikon D3100 or the Sony A33 I would recommend.
Posted Image

#15 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 14:29

View PostWizard, on 29 Dec 2010, 9:43, said:

If you want decent picture quality try these two:

Canon
Nikon, Price in U$

Or perhaps you might tell us how much you want to spend?

That's one way to get 'em to talk. :D

If I had the money to spend, I still wouldn't buy a 1D Mark IV. I'd wait for the fabled 1Ds Mark IV or 5D Mark III. Once you use a full frame camera, you will never want to use anything else. I dare say those cameras will have autofocus in their live view video as well - it's the next logical progession - although it isn't something that interests me.

What I would recommend for you, Fuckup, is the 550D. I don't think you will soon discover its limitations, unlike those that Scope mentioned above. What I would suggest is to do some further reading before committing to a decision.

Edited by Stinger, 29 December 2010 - 14:38.

#16 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:33

Since I've been beyond bored I've done some searching for you.

You can get a 550D body for $879 AU local (not grey import, which would be around $750 but I wouldn't recommend it, the extra money is worth the service/warranty) or a 500D body for $650. I'd suggest you get the 500D, as the extra features in the 550D you probably won't use. The 500D is still a great camera.

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/webapp/wcs...01_10004_-1____
$650 body only, kits start from $750. I'd probably recommend you just start with the stock 18-55 lens and when you need more flexibility buy another.

Posted Image

#17 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:14

View PostStinger, on 29 Dec 2010, 22:29, said:

Further reading before committing to a decision.

Working on that bit. Waiting for a saturday when i can go out and fiddle with some. Suggestions here have been a big help and i thank those for their contribution.

#18 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 00:03

Nothing beats going to a store and getting a feel for a camera in your hand.

Just make sure you don't go with any money or cards on you. Do not underestimate the persuasive powers of sales people...

#19 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 15:08

View PostStinger, on 31 Dec 2010, 2:03, said:

Nothing beats going to a store and getting a feel for a camera in your hand.

Just make sure you don't go with any money or cards on you. Do not underestimate the persuasive powers of sales people...

Indeed, be very careful not to buy pointless accessories. About the only thing I would tell you to get for sure is a UV filter for the lens and a case. After that, you would get other things depending on what you need.
Posted Image

#20 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:43

Im having quite a hard time selecting one, between the Cannon 550D, Cannon powershot S95 and the Panasonic FZ100. Still researching atm.

Edited by Major Fuckup, 06 January 2011 - 03:46.

#21 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:43

550D if you want to take pro quality shots and all the fiddling that comes with it :duh:

If you're going to be taking photos of you and your Bogan |8 mates getting drunk and running over 'Roos, I'd personally shoot you, but suggest you run with the Powershot S95, for simple ease. It'll take good photos still. Wouldn't touch any Panasonic if you paid me.

#22 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:49

View PostWizard, on 6 Jan 2011, 17:43, said:

550D if you want to take pro quality shots and all the fiddling that comes with it :duh:

If you're going to be taking photos of you and your Bogan |8 mates getting drunk and running over 'Roos, I'd personally shoot you, but suggest you run with the Powershot S95, for simple ease. It'll take good photos still. Wouldn't touch any Panasonic if you paid me.

Im leaning towards the Powershot simply because it will be easy to whip out on demand :D
Seeing as im normally driving when im taking photos anyway.

#23 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 00:11

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 6 Jan 2011, 5:43, said:

Im having quite a hard time selecting one, between the Cannon 550D, Cannon powershot S95 and the Panasonic FZ100. Still researching atm.

The FZ100 is crap. They screwed up the successful FZ35. The S95 is great I'd say. What are the prices for the Nikon D3100 there btw?
Posted Image

#24 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:34

View PostScope, on 7 Jan 2011, 11:11, said:

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 6 Jan 2011, 5:43, said:

The FZ100 is crap. They screwed up the successful FZ35. The S95 is great I'd say. What are the prices for the Nikon D3100 there btw?
A little less than the 550D.

Posted Image

#25 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:28

If you need super zooming I suggest you go for a Cannon SX30.

Edited by Raven, 07 January 2011 - 07:28.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users