Condition Red

4 replies to this topic

#1 neogrant

• 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:08

Well I'm completely new to the scene of mod'ing, and its probably the first real time I've actually taken an interest in a project such as this (apart from Renegade-X). I'm a long time RA2 player and it definitely appealed to me and a few players at xwis. http://strike-team.net/forums/index.php/to...alert-3-engine/ (Permissions may be set to view as a member, if you like i can provide screenshots of the discussion)

I have a few questions but bare in mind I may sound a little thick when you guys have been at this mod'ing ops for a while..

Could you in theory set this up with your own server for people to play online, say use XWIS with realtime ladders. Or would it have to be played on the RA3 EA servers?

How would you go about going standalone and releasing it as a game? E.g Through UDK for example. Similar to Renegade X..

#2 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 09 January 2011 - 21:26

View Postneogrant, on 9 Jan 2011, 3:08, said:

Could you in theory set this up with your own server for people to play online, say use XWIS with realtime ladders. Or would it have to be played on the RA3 EA servers?

No idea, ask EA.

How would you go about going standalone and releasing it as a game? E.g Through UDK for example. Similar to Renegade X..

I wouldn't, because I'm not going to.
Posted Image

#3 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 21:51

View PostSlye_Fox, on 9 Jan 2011, 21:26, said:

No idea, ask EA.

I believe it would have to be played on the EA servers - I haven't played RA3 for a while but I believe the servers are currently restricted to EA-only. Therefore you can't create an XWIS server that's legit, methinks.

I wouldn't, because I'm not going to.

Note, there aren't many genuinely capable open-source engines for RTS games - UDK is massively flawed in that it wasn't built for RTS games, and other open-source engines don't really compare to the latest version of SAGE, imo. It is a bit of a shame, but tbh, most people who've played RA2 will have bought RA3 anyways, because they were expecting something as-good-as. Pity they didn't get it, but at least they have the game :duh:
For there can be no death without life.

#4 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 21:44

Honestly, if you know how, then there is no problem in making a RTS with the UDK.

#5 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:21

I remember an RTS mod for the source engine once. It won the MOTY few years ago if I can remember right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users