3D Turn-based Strategy

17 replies to this topic

#1 V.Metalic

Never fear the night, youngling.

• Project Team
  • 1218 posts
  • Projects: Project Evans, Shock Therapy

Posted 25 January 2011 - 22:08

Well, I want to ask if there is anyone who is able to make a turn-based strategy game, best if in 3D. It dont needs to be anyhow epic like the current games, example is EA or BioWare. I will appretiate any help regarding this.
Posted Image

Also I am fan of fan-made Transformers Legacy. Even its fan-made, its really nice work. If you want to check it out, come here.

#2 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 15:34

Buy and play Civ Series 8|

#3 Magma

Regular

• 174 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:43

Silent Storm and Silent Storm Sentinel's :)
Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it... It really is worth fighting for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk everything, you risk even more.

________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone needs believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
________________________________________________________________________________
My greatest weapon is my knowledge.... And laser beam eyes.

#4 V.Metalic

• Project Team
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:24

Why? I dont want to play it, I want to make it, to fit to my...vision is not correct word... purpose. Civ series is not regarding the commanding of the platoons or squads, but armies.
Posted Image

Also I am fan of fan-made Transformers Legacy. Even its fan-made, its really nice work. If you want to check it out, come here.

#5 Magma

Regular

• 174 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:30

So you want someone to make with/to you an strategy game? Sorry i misread your post, and Kris's post made me more confused.

And no, i'm afraid i don't know anyone who could make a strategy game. :)

Edited by Magma, 29 January 2011 - 09:30.

Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it... It really is worth fighting for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk everything, you risk even more.

Everyone needs believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
My greatest weapon is my knowledge.... And laser beam eyes.

#6 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts
  • Projects: Situation Zero

Posted 29 January 2011 - 16:16

Try the unity engine dude

#7 V.Metalic

• Project Team
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 21:07

Magma said:

So you want someone to make with/to you an strategy game? Sorry i misread your post, and Kris's post made me more confused.

And no, i'm afraid i don't know anyone who could make a strategy game.

I thought it was something like that :)

Zhao said:

Try the unity engine dude

Can you be more... specific? Like what is unity engine.
Posted Image

#8 R3ven

Veteran

• Project Team
  • 468 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:16

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Unity+Engine

Ahem.

#9 Erik

Feels green.

• Project Leader
  • 978 posts
  • Projects: ZH: Frontlines

Posted 30 January 2011 - 13:01

Turn based strategy sounds awesome. What did you have in mind?

#10 V.Metalic

• Project Team
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 14:47

Hmm... well, you will play as commander of the company in fictional world fighting various opponents. The world I talk about is quite unique, because there is the presence, sci-fi and fantasy are coming together, so you can play as high-tech elves, communist dwarves, orcs ridint the tanks and many more races. For the start there will be probably only two factions, humans and orcs, with few smaller human factions, we will see. The game will be that your company (would be smaller or larger) will possess limited number of units, you will not be able to produce them during the battle, only between them you will purchase new units. Each unit will have limited ammo and fuel, so you must take this into the account.

The gaming will be like standart TBS, one player will move his forces, then his opponent, and then the player, and like so each turn. Hopefully there will be some sort of special powers/orders for support like artillery barrage, para drop, bombing run or gunship, also some systems regarding tactical bonuses like infantry inside houses will be able to survive longer, units in the bushes and in the forests will be less visible and detectable for the enemy.

Multiplayer with normal game modes like Death Matches, King of the Hill, Area Control, but also some kind of Conquest where the players will play like they were the generals of large armies, with some superior to others, kind of RoTR RP if you remember it. Will see what else would be featured in the game.
Posted Image

#11 R3ven

Veteran

• Project Team
  • 468 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 15:41

Unity probably wouldn't be fit for a TBS as it is mainly for FPS games btw.

You'll probably need to go searching around for free turn based one. Good luck with it.

#12 Erik

Feels green.

• Project Leader
  • 978 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 16:12

Had an idea for fantasy - high tech crossover aswell a while ago, however more fitting for an RTS.
If only i had some time to really develop it :P

#13 V.Metalic

• Project Team
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 22:03

View PostR3ven, on 30 Jan 2011, 16:41, said:

Unity probably wouldn't be fit for a TBS as it is mainly for FPS games btw.

You'll probably need to go searching around for free turn based one. Good luck with it.

Well, being FPS or TBS isnt really anyhow important, it will just set the way how units will move :P
Posted Image

#14 Erik

Feels green.

• Project Leader
  • 978 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:59

Currently im thinking of Pyrogenesis engine it looks very nice for Age of Empires style games.

Can't really think of a turn based engine, these games aren't really that popular at the big companies.

#15 V.Metalic

• Project Team
  • 1218 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:36

It should work well also as RTS game, not necceserly be TBS. Only if it supports the possibility of having limited ammo, fuel and possibly armor, like in Codename: Panzers and S.W.I.N.E.
Posted Image

#16 Genrail

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 234 posts
  • Projects: Private Map Contractor

Posted 13 February 2011 - 19:04

Check the Silent Storm engine; it is more of a RPG-TBS engine but it could work. :stickattack: good luck finding it...
This place still exists?

#17 V.Metalic

• Project Team
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:02

View PostGenrail, on 13 Feb 2011, 20:04, said:

Check the Silent Storm engine; it is more of a RPG-TBS engine but it could work. :stickattack: good luck finding it...

Thank you Genrail :xD: Can you say me something about a games which use this engine?
Posted Image

#18 Genrail

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 234 posts
  • Projects: Private Map Contractor

Posted 14 February 2011 - 00:18

Wall'o Text

(not to get your hopes up. but i dont think you can DL, this anywhere :stickattack:)

Silent Storm engine

From Wikipedia

The Silent Storm engine is a turn-based tactics game engine developed by Nival Interactive for their video game Silent Storm. The engine was reused for Silent Storm: Sentinels, Night Watch, Hammer & Sickle and Day Watch. A modified version of this engine was used for Heroes of Might and Magic V.

The engine features an advanced physics model—nearly all structures are destructible, and ragdoll physics is employed for bodies with variation according to the precise velocity and impact of projectiles. Three-dimensional mapping allows for obstruction calculations and cover effects from any direction. Bullets ricochet, and their stopping power depends on the strength of the weapon. Also modeled are materials' effectiveness at stopping ordinance and visibility based on lighting conditions. All these effects are, however, exaggerated for a more cinematic experience (e.g., a hail of non-fatal bullets only makes the target shake, but a single fatal bullet can send the target flying), which has been praised by some reviewers as a feature. Reviewer Greg Kasavin commented that "pray and spray" tactics are quite viable, as the game uses silhouettes to mark enemies' estimated positions when they happen to lie out of eyesight but within earshot.

Mechanics common to role-playing video games are also featured, such as the ability for characters to be customized over time. The player's units gain experience points over time for completing actions, which can later be spent on purchasing new skills and abilities. The engine also uses an action point system, whereby players can select from various different actions, such as firing modes, stances and forms of movement. A sequel, Silent Storm: Sentinels, introduced weapon degradation to the series.

The engine has been praised for its ability—commonly found in RTSs—to allow users to select and issue orders to multiple units at once, and for allowing players to select which items to pick up from a list. Also praised were the quality of its graphics and weapon and environmental sounds, though these sentiments were tempered as the engine began to age. Reviewers also appreciated the destructibility of the environment, role-playing elements and "squad-based tactical combat.”

Criticisms include the engine not taking into account the relative position of objects in 3-dimensional space when making selections using the mouse. For instance, when selecting and issuing actions to a group of soldiers, the selection may include soldiers that occupy different elevations, making the orders nonsensical. The engine has also been criticized for slow performance, even on top-of-the-end (at the time) computers. Finally, the engine has been criticized for the length of time required for the artificial intelligence to complete its turns, a lack of any multiplayer support and the uncooperativeness of its camera controls.

Edited by Genrail, 14 February 2011 - 00:22.

This place still exists?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users