Dragon Age 2 demo out

67 replies to this topic

#26 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 16:09

I've read some of the community managers posts on the ME: Medieval DA2 forum...They're bad, like really bad, the guy gets all hurt and defensive when someone questions the idea of Day-One-DLC's.

EDIT: Well, guess what.

A pirated version is already out, for Xbox 360 hilariously enough.

How much for them blaming PC gamers for pirating it?

PS: does this break rules for piracy sharing?

Edited by SquigPie, 03 March 2011 - 19:30.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#27 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 17:34

Well. That's disappointing.

I loved the detail in DA:O, it showed me personally how much effort they wanted to put into the game. And the removal of top down view? Fucking pointless.

I hope someone manages to mod the ability to do so.
You almost did, didn't you?

#28 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 18:23

I'm glad that I did not pre-order this. I hope that camera angles would be fixed in a mod. If they can make mods to take clothes off, this shouldn't be a huge thing. Prob a matter of changing the parameter files i guess.

#29 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 03 March 2011 - 18:28

Oh dear, removing things that "no-one reads" is disconcerting, hope that doesnt transfer to their view on ME3, since I read everything in the last 2. That was a shitty interview tho.

I hope, I hope he got something seriously wrong there, because thats a worrying attitude toward making games.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 18:41

View PostPav:3d, on 3 Mar 2011, 18:28, said:

Oh dear, removing things that "no-one reads" is disconcerting, hope that doesnt transfer to their view on ME3, since I read everything in the last 2. That was a shitty interview tho.

I hope, I hope he got something seriously wrong there, because thats a worrying attitude toward making games.

From what I gathered from that interview, it seemed like he had very little, if any input into ME3. Plus, I don't hear anyone finding things in ME2 that they didn't read. I sometimes skimmed an email or codex entry, but I'm pretty sure I read about 95% of everything ME2 based. Totally worth it too.

Rest of the interview was pretty damn boring - sounded like that guy was off his rocker for some reason... :/. Here's to hoping EA have some sense and refuse to let him participate in anymore interviews. Ever.

Note: Squig, it's fine to mention something's been pirated, just try and avoid leading people to it. I'm pretty sure Google can do that for them, and their legal department is immensely superior to ours (ours being a single second-year law student).
For there can be no death without life.

#31 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 18:44

Ok, just wanted to show some proof and let the image speak for itself. Should I remove it?

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#32 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 19:06

View PostSquigPie, on 3 Mar 2011, 18:44, said:

Ok, just wanted to show some proof and let the image speak for itself. Should I remove it?

Considering no-one can see the image, because you hotlinked directly from 4chan, I don't think there's a problem. :/
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#33 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 14:27

Okay, what.
So apparently Dragon Age 2 only takes up 7gb of HDD space. The first one was pushing 20gb.

What on earth did they cut?

Posted Image

#34 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 15:38

View PostAlias, on 8 Mar 2011, 15:27, said:

Okay, what.
So apparently Dragon Age 2 only takes up 7gb of HDD space. The first one was pushing 20gb.

What on earth did they cut?

The fun 8|

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#35 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 08 March 2011 - 16:58

Well heres an idea of some stuff they cut - http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/84352/g...more-cinematic/

DA also had huge very complicated environments with shitloads of detail. DA2 has less variety of environments and the detail is only where your "focusing" or whatever bullshit term that moronic marketing retard used "

I remain very skeptical about this game. To me it sounds like they have casualised/dumbed down/reduced every aspect of the entire game.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 17:57

So it's more of a movie and less of a game....?

:facepalm:

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#37 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 17:59

View PostSquigPie, on 8 Mar 2011, 17:57, said:

So it's more of a movie and less of a game....?

:facepalm:

It's gone from a classical RPG to an adventure hack/slash basically. It's ME with swords. ME is great, but not every game needs to be like ME.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:23

I've just watched some vids of it and....

I think it would be better if Hawke didn't have a voice-actor, his VA delivers all his lines in a completely deadpan tone. Even when he proclaims his undying love for someone, he sounds bored out of his mind. And the facial animations are kinda bad.

Edited by SquigPie, 08 March 2011 - 18:24.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#39 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:25

I'm reading up on it as much as I can. I really want to like DA2, but so far I haven't had the "I MUST HAVE THIS GAME" feeling yet which I had in spades with DA, I literally couldn't wait, it was like christmas come early.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:28

Can't quite decide wether this is win or fail.
Posted Image
yes, that's an actual conversation.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#41 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:31

View PostSquigPie, on 8 Mar 2011, 18:28, said:

Can't quite decide wether this is win or fail.
Posted Image
yes, that's an actual conversation.

I don't have to much of a problem with the refined speech system, my main worries are lack of epicness / bad gear systems / recycled locations. All of which have proved to be true :(
Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:39

Yeah well, when I play RPG's I'm more interested in dialogue and the characters, although I also like the epic feel and the loot. I'm just gonna wait for Skyrim/The Witcher 2.
I need to get off /v/

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#43 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:41

View PostSquigPie, on 8 Mar 2011, 18:39, said:

Yeah well, when I play RPG's I'm more interested in dialogue and the characters, although I also like the epic feel and the loot. I'm just gonna wait for Skyrim/The Witcher 2.
I need to get off /v/

I imagine I'll still buy DA2, just not until the price is down.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:04

DA2 Hi-res texture pack
You almost did, didn't you?

#45 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 08 March 2011 - 22:27

Gd to hear, since the demo looked like shit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 23:59

Sort of glad I didn't preorder this after all, then.

Here's to hoping for Diablo 3 sometime in the next decade.

Posted Image

#47 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 09 March 2011 - 14:25

Any American to give us his first impressions about the game? I heard the game was already out there 8|

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#48 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:58

I've played the game on a friends PC today, he used some trick to unlock it at the US time.

1. The game is massively simplified.
2. There isn't any tactical view or much point in playing it tactically anyway.
3. It's way to easy unless you play on nightmare.
4. The loot/inventory system is dumbed down.
5. Dungeons are reused.
6. Lacks epicness

Now I'll elaborate.

1. Get one thing straight, this game is nothing like DA1, while DA1 appealed to the hardcore classical RPG gamer this game is built for the console/action crowd. Remember all the wonderful books in DA1 telling you all about the lore, telling you all sorts of interesting things, well thats all gone. Remember the massive variety of environments, thats gone to. While the combat animations are nice, I actually prefer the older more realistic slower ones from DA1, DA2 seems more like a ninja gaiden game at times. Oh also warriors can't dual wield and you already know they removed origins and forced you to play as a human. They've also massively simplified all the passive skills like herbalism and removed the others, though I don't care so much for that. Branching dialogue trees are also gone, but again, you already knew that.

2. There's very little point in playing it tactically. In DA1 when you had a fight you could see what you were up against, in DA2 many fights involve waves, some did in DA1, but that was more events than every other fight. Because of this you don't really know what your going to be facing so theres no point in being tactical, furthermore cooldowns are so fast and energy and stamina seem to be less of a problem so you can spam away to your hearts content.

3. FF only has any effect on nightmare mode, and even on hard the game is still easy and creates no challenge at all. And as I previously said mana/stamina aren't an issue meaning you can spam attacks.

4. You can only entirely control the loot of Hawke, most of your partymembers you can change the weapons of (except the dwarf varric) but the rest you can't change apart from purchasing upgrades for their armour, which I find much much less enjoyable / satisfying than building up piles of loot and equipping accordingly.

5. The entire game takes place in Kirkwall apart from a few segments, Kirkwall is large and split into 5 distinct areas but throughout the 10 years nothing really changes so you tread through the same areas alot!, the dungeons are reused multiple times as well which I really really hate.

6. Yeah, thats a killer for me, the reasons above contribute to this.

- This game is dumbed down made for the console market and offers very little sense of reward to any classical RPG gamer. It's a stepback in every way from the original apart from the graphics. It's still enjoyable but a huge letdown from what should have been the next in a great series. I really dislike the direction they have taken the game, I can see why the lead designer quit.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good game, but for me it's a huge letdown. The whole ppint of DA1 was to be a classical hard western RPG filled to the brim with details with fights that challenged you, why oh fucking why has DA2 become this! There are already enough games like it, why change the last remaining cRPG into one.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 10 March 2011 - 03:05.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:12

I saw in the review that the whole game takes place in Kirkwall most of the time and some other locations from DAO. I am glad I did not buy it. I will play it though 8|. No wonder, they only had like 1 year to update the engine and come up with DA2. So we were wrong to expect anything like DAO. We should have known when its EA. I hope to god that ME3 would not suffer the same fate.

#50 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:44

I just hope if theres a DA3 it's more in line with the original. DA2 shouldn't have been called DA2, it was originally going to be called DA:Exodus. I wonder how the sales will compare with DA1 though, theres been quite alot of internet backlash but I think it will sell more as it appeals to non-RPG gamers.
Posted Image

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users