Modern Warfare 3

637 replies to this topic

#601 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:08

View Postcccdfern, on 10 November 2011 - 00:16, said:

well, according to metacritic, MW3 is getting a fair beating, so, if all these points you make are promoting the game as good, why are there so many posts, well everywhere that it was a disappointment and that it is getting bad user ratings (site ratings don't counts anymore due to some obvious 'bribery'). Not attacking your views, just commenting upon how others are viewing the game. Some were saying that to actually score the kill, you had to go and get the guys dogtags, this is quite ingenuitive and an interesting addition; but all these things that they (the developers) are thinking they are changing (forcing players to not camp etc), never seem to come out that well with the community and quite quickly the normal habits are what makes the game.

So, how is this a different experience to blackops and MW2? What game mechanics have changed, have they upgraded the engine, support, balance, et cetera et cetera.

Also, the future, what shall happen next? Modern warfare 4? covert ops? or something else miltaryish-armyish. How much longer can cod stay alive with its consistent multiplayer style? Will another game take over the batton as to that which other games shall follow (crysis 2 was basically cod, where as crysis 1 was amazingly unique).

ty for tolerating my earlier pointless posts.

Humourosly, one of the top guys of IW came out and asked people if they would boost the scores.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#602 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:33

btw did anyone try playing the MP in 1920x1080? The game looks horrible as sh** when playing on that res, even with other options set to high and ambient occlusion on. MW2 looked so much better in MP. I just get the feel that MW3 MP did not come with high res textures. They looked stretched.

#603 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:43

View Postcccdfern, on 10 November 2011 - 00:16, said:

well, according to metacritic, MW3 is getting a fair beating, so, if all these points you make are promoting the game as good, why are there so many posts, well everywhere that it was a disappointment and that it is getting bad user ratings (site ratings don't counts anymore due to some obvious 'bribery'). Not attacking your views, just commenting upon how others are viewing the game. Some were saying that to actually score the kill, you had to go and get the guys dogtags, this is quite ingenuitive and an interesting addition; but all these things that they (the developers) are thinking they are changing (forcing players to not camp etc), never seem to come out that well with the community and quite quickly the normal habits are what makes the game.

So, how is this a different experience to blackops and MW2? What game mechanics have changed, have they upgraded the engine, support, balance, et cetera et cetera.

Also, the future, what shall happen next? Modern warfare 4? covert ops? or something else miltaryish-armyish. How much longer can cod stay alive with its consistent multiplayer style? Will another game take over the batton as to that which other games shall follow (crysis 2 was basically cod, where as crysis 1 was amazingly unique).

ty for tolerating my earlier pointless posts.
Well first of all it's still a bit buggy. Some people are experiencing more lag than they should, and there are bugs floating around like one in which you get stuck in an animation after calling in a hardpoints (rare but it happens).

Second; the game draws from BO for inspiration, NOT from MW2. And as BO is the obviously inferior game, people dislike this (also the lowest score out of the three on metacritic, MW3 currently holds the highest).

The dogtag thing you speak of is a separate gametype called Kill Confirmed; this is TDM except you have to confirm kills (or deny them) by running over fallen peoples' dog tags. a very good gametype, it's the one we're playing mostly now.

The game also doesn't really force the player not to camp, as a matter of fact I'd say the maps support camping more than before. MW2 maps were both bigger and generally better designed. MW3 has a few very good maps though. The style of the maps has changed a bit; as in MW2 you could say something is an "SMG map" or a "sniper map" in MW3 they tried to make most maps accessible for all weapon types. There are still one or two "sniper maps" etc. however, and we found the series' first decent snow map!

The game's weapons so far seem weird. They kind of redefined damage classes here and there, and assault rifles and LMGs usually do the equivalent of 40-30 damage and SMGs usually the equivalent of 40-20. Sniper rifles are basically like before, all with stopping power on by default (except the SVD which now only seems to kill on headshots, making it again the weakest weapon in the game). Some things pop up; it seems we have something that looks like G18s akimbo (though it's not as powerful as the original, with steady aim the spread is only about twice as wide on FMGs akimbo). Assault rifles still rule for much the same reasons as in MW2.

The main thing people are, I suppose, people are pissed off about is how the developers thought they knew better than the tried-and-true formula and they pulled some really weird mechanics out of the hat. I'd like to look closer to confirm exactly what is going on but it seems like idling is dependent on how long you are actually in ADS (gets worse with more time) and like I said before, the monumentally stupid mistake of making people's footstep sounds not silent when in ADS, a cornerstone of CoD mechanics. This was done for balancing reasons but of course it's not worth it. I think they might also have taken some flak for the reintroduction of idling at all, which of course noobs can't handle. I disagree with the way they implemented it, but I'd much rather have it on everything than on nothing. MW2 ACR, I'm looking straight at you.

On the up side, the game feels much more interesting like MW2. Of course it's part newness, but then again the newness is also an obstacle as all maps are not known to players yet. The customisation has taken an immense step forward with the proficiencies (which are more balanced than I thought they would be - not fully balanced but there are a few choices usually) and per-class hardpoint setup which works in three hardpoint trees now. The hardpoints themselves are also better balanced (juggernauts are really hard to deal with, though). Everything does look better and more fluid, feel more alive (and the game pace is VERY fast) and also the sounds have improved dramatically. The most glaring stupidity of MW2 has been taken out (explosives are now quite hard to get kills with, there are no true G18s anymore, kniferunning is now a non-issue more than ever) and the matchmaking goes a lot faster (though as of yet it seems servers are slightly overloaded because everybody is experiencing lag, even hosts). And of course there is a the matter of dedicated servers (though these run unranked, a seriously uncool move IMO). The party system works excellent though.

It takes a bit of time to get used to the new feel of the game, especially as at the start the player is extremely disadvantaged by the lack of choice in guns, perks, killstreaks etc. As always, the preset classes suck absolute arse squared, so until the player has unlocked Create-A-Class at level 4, there's bound to be plenty of cursing. The new gametypes take some time to get adjusted to, too, though they are quite good. It just takes a few games to get the feel of the new mechanics, maps, weapons etc. and then it's a pretty golden game.

Edited by Chyros, 10 November 2011 - 07:51.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#604 Liten

Morally Moose

• 326 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:42

Nevermind, It said I was in LPTPW but apperantly not >_>

Edited by Liten, 10 November 2011 - 12:21.

Posted Image

Kyle Carter said:

Harry Potter is the safety scissors of the Fantasy genre

#605 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 14:23

The graph issue: Turn the image quality to native

#606 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 17:22

U mean the interface something right? in the advance issue? It was set like that from the beginning

#607 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 19:42

In video options under advanced, check that the image quality is set to native

#608 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:37

I checked...the only thing that I can set to native is the platform_ui_setting. Is this the setting you mean? I have already set it and no luck. I even reducued the res to 1024x768 and it still fails :(

I checked a screenshot in google and it I don't see such a setting in the MP. Should I Set from the SP exe?

Edited by Raven, 11 November 2011 - 02:39.

#609 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:25

No need for any kind of weird places. It's in the video options when you click on the advanced - tab open. One of the settings there is called image quality. Change that to native. It's not hidden in any cfg or anything like that. It's right there in the options-panel

http://www.overclock...lity-render-fix
http://www.callofdut...46373#105946373

#610 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:10

I'm so glad I didnt buy Modern Warfare 3. I mean the graphics are really outdated and the gameplay is almost exactly the same as Modern Warfare (2). The Call of Duty franchise really needs to come up with something new, even if its only the graphics engine. I enjoyed both Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2, but I'm not gonna play the same game for three times.
Posted Image

#611 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 14:12

View PostCrazykenny, on 11 November 2011 - 10:10, said:

I'm so glad I didnt buy Modern Warfare 3. I mean the graphics are really outdated and the gameplay is almost exactly the same as Modern Warfare (2). The Call of Duty franchise really needs to come up with something new, even if its only the graphics engine. I enjoyed both Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2, but I'm not gonna play the same game for three times.

Pretty much that.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#612 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 16:35

View PostCrazykenny, on 11 November 2011 - 10:10, said:

I will not judge your taste but MW1 and MW2 single player were not so close, had some common characters but that is all, everything else worked different and cool on their own way. I think singleplayer of both MW1 and MW2 was awesome if not the best I've seen.
I am currently downloading the 3 and will decide if it is as cool as the previous ones ( damn dl speed)
What I am interested in MW is storyline experience it gives , it is like playing in a movie. Much better than what most hollywood movies do anyway.
And what can you bring new to FPS ? It is first person shooter afterall, you take the weapon and shoot it to the end. or use tanks or some other gadgets in some cases, it is always the same, current pc games full of it. You can't just simply come with something completely original and never seen before in a few years.

And no thanks, I won't upgrade my PC to 2x power just to play a FPS game, BF3 have bullshit engine which runs awful on even low settings, MW on the other hand runs smooth on highest settings with the same hardware and it looks very good.

Gamers expect too much nowadays but I agree MW is a bit expensive compared to some games which build longer time and more hardwork, but still both MW games worth the money.

#613 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 23:33

I gave MW3 a go on my mate's xbox the other day, and it's utter garbage. All I noticed was different was a few more addons for weapons and a facebook integration system. It's only good if you were massively addicted to CoD the last time round, although I'd say the only incentive to get MW3 would be because everyone else would be playing the mutiplayer and ditching black oops.
Posted Image

#614 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 00:49

View PostGeneral, on 11 November 2011 - 16:35, said:

I will not judge your taste but MW1 and MW2 single player were not so close, had some common characters but that is all, everything else worked different and cool on their own way. I think singleplayer of both MW1 and MW2 was awesome if not the best I've seen.

MW2 had a singleplayer campaign? All I remember was a 1 hour long tutorial cinematic with maybe 5 minutes of combined gameplay.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#615 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:21

View PostSquigPie, on 12 November 2011 - 00:49, said:

MW2 had a singleplayer campaign? All I remember was a 1 hour long tutorial cinematic with maybe 5 minutes of combined gameplay.

Nice exaggaration you did there. It is not final fantasy afterall, whats the point of having 50+ hours of gameplay if it is gonna be same, each mission were different and cool on it is own IMHO but sure it is your opinion anyway if you don't like it.

#616 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:16

View PostSquigPie, on 12 November 2011 - 00:49, said:

i wouldn't be so harsh. while short, the campaigns are adrenaline rush-inducing rollercoaster rides filled with moments of awe. they're short but sweet if you will. unlike anything else i'd ever played. i do tend to go for re-playability a la borderlands and TES.

haven't tried this iteration just yet though.
it's time to wake up

#617 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts
  • Projects: FoxMod

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:33

but since cod 4, hasn't the gameplay focus shifted more onto multiplayer anyway? a short campaign is then to be expected, shiny, but not content packed, just enough to teach the basics.
To listen and learn, or contribute and teach.

#618 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 20:41

Just got the chance to finish of first mission and proceed some on second one and DAMN It. is. awesome. Surround sound is spectacular, graphics are very very good if not top notch , it is not soulless as BF3 and I still don't get it how the hell BF3 runs slow on bullshit low graphics while MW3 run on highest with same hardware, those who compare this two game obviously not gives objective opinions.
While 69$ is a bit cunning marketing ; they deserve it for the good work they have done in this game.
I just can't see how a fps modern warfare setting can be better than this, they did all they could, it is amazing.

#619 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 14 November 2011 - 21:08

View PostGeneral, on 14 November 2011 - 20:41, said:

Just got the chance to finish of first mission and proceed some on second one and DAMN It. is. awesome. Surround sound is spectacular, graphics are very very good if not top notch , it is not soulless as BF3 and I still don't get it how the hell BF3 runs slow on bullshit low graphics while MW3 run on highest with same hardware, those who compare this two game obviously not gives objective opinions.
While 69$ is a bit cunning marketing ; they deserve it for the good work they have done in this game.
I just can't see how a fps modern warfare setting can be better than this, they did all they could, it is amazing.

I've stayed away from posting in here, but now I have to say one thing : Don't go bashing a game just because your PC sucks too much to run it. This is exactly the same mentality that console gamers have and that is holding technology back.
If everyone just thought this way, we'd still be having 16 bit graphics nowadays.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#620 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 21:27

No, no they don't. Noone deserves that much for updating a one year old game.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#621 Liten

Morally Moose

• 326 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 21:44

Having played the first few missions of this on the PS3, and trying out the Spec Ops mode I can say that these two lived up to my expectations. The campagin is fast and frantic like the latest installments of the franchise, but it's fine for a campagin. What it does badly IMO is introduce new players to the plot, it just starts of with Makarov doing a voiceover IIRC whilst pictures of the campagins from the other two games flashes by in the background. Having played or watched segments of them both I could puzzle togheter what was going on, however a new player wouldn't get what's going on at all, which is dissapointing me since CoD used to be the King of Campagin.
Spoiler

Spec Ops, whilst being fun just runin'n'gunnin' the unsuspecting AI with a friend (in this case, my brother) it gets stale because they locked every item that is buyable to a certain level. I want to spambuy Sentry Guns and Auto-Grenade Launchers and just camp in a corner, but the game wants me to be Lvl 10 before it allows me to buy them, and so far the game does a great job in NOT saving my level advancments between games. Not sure if that is because of the PS3 and/or PSN, but it's very dissapointing.

As from what I've seen of the MP, it's the same shit as there was in MW2. TotalBiscuit covers this in his review.

and I still don't get it how the hell BF3 runs slow on bullshit low graphics while MW3 run on highest with same hardware

You "Don't get" how MW3 runs smooth on high whilst BF3 runs slow on low? Lets compare what specs you need for each game shall we?

MW3:
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 processor or better
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Shader 3.0 or better 256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600GT / ATI® Radeon™ X1950 or better
  • DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c or later
  • Hard Drive: 16 GB free hard drive space
  • Sound: DirectX® 9.0c or later
  • Internet: Broadband connection and service required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet connection required for activation.

BF3:

Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
  • Graphics card memory: 1 GB
  • Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
  • Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Note the huge gap between both Proccessor, Graphics and RAM. This is because Battlefield games actually have something called improvement in graphics between each game, and as a result the system specs your PC needs to run these games actually goes up.
Posted Image

Kyle Carter said:

Harry Potter is the safety scissors of the Fantasy genre

#622 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 00:55

I don't think the systems requirements between MW2 and MW3 actually changed much, if at all.

Posted Image

#623 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:39

The engine used in MW3, just like in all CoDs, is a glorified Quake 3 engine...that's why it has low requirements.

#624 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:28

it is not soulless as BF3 and I still don't get it how the hell BF3 runs slow on bullshit low graphics while MW3 run on highest with same hardware, those who compare this two game obviously not gives objective opinions.

Might be because your hardware is too shitty to run BF3's more advanced engine, compared to MW3's engine which has been used since 2007.

If you want to talk about objective opinions, don't go talking shit mate.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#625 Krieger22

Semi-Pro

• 224 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:14

View PostLiten, on 14 November 2011 - 21:44, said:

and I still don't get it how the hell BF3 runs slow on bullshit low graphics while MW3 run on highest with same hardware

You "Don't get" how MW3 runs smooth on high whilst BF3 runs slow on low? Lets compare what specs you need for each game shall we?

MW3:
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 processor or better
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Shader 3.0 or better 256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600GT / ATI® Radeon™ X1950 or better
  • DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c or later
  • Hard Drive: 16 GB free hard drive space
  • Sound: DirectX® 9.0c or later
  • Internet: Broadband connection and service required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet connection required for activation.

BF3:

Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
  • Graphics card memory: 1 GB
  • Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
  • Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Note the huge gap between both Proccessor, Graphics and RAM. This is because Battlefield games actually have something called improvement in graphics between each game, and as a result the system specs your PC needs to run these games actually goes up.

I was pretty sure I could run MW3 on my current comp even before the systems requirements came out, and it is. Gonna upgrade the computer soon enough to run Frostbite 2, and I won't be buying this, at least for full price. MW3's engine could well be accused of what Porsche is doing with the 911, except that one merely refines while the other evolves.

Sareen said:

NOOO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOO ...*closes ears* lalalala that never happened!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users