Looking for digital movies

7 replies to this topic

#1 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:26

In the age of digital distribution, there are few things you can't find online. Sadly many of those are illegal, and while I'm fine with digital piracy I do want to find a way to patronize the works and artists that I like. Steam pretty much covers all my gaming needs and I've been quite satisfied with it (in fact, it's probably one of the most wonderful hitch-free programs I've used; I probably missed out on all the steam crashes and bugs because I only just started using it 2 years ago).

Anyhow, I want to know if there's a program or system out there that does what steam does; where one is able to purchase and download songs and/or movies? I really really don't want to use iTunes, as I've personally witnessed the massive frustration it causes; plus I'd rather have DRM-free music files, to save myself the future frustration of DL-ing them again. I hear Netflicks does a pretty good job with movies, but my roommate has it and it's kind of poo, plus I don't think you can take the file and put it onto a portable device.

So is there such a service? or am I forever barred from a convenient way of giving money to things I like without buying an annoying physical copy of be given some file wrapped in chains and shackled to my computer.

#2 NergiZed

• 2992 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 23:20

The silence speaks volumes. I guess there's no real good service or services out there that does music and movie DLs/purchases well.

#3 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 23:26

There's plenty for music, the thing with video is that bandwidth required to transmit it is so much more. I think many just don't see it as a profitable enterprise yet. It'll come, eventually.

Posted Image

#4 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 03 March 2011 - 23:24

Movies? What about Netflix? It's supposed to be popular in the US.

For music, there is Last.fm, RDio, Slacker, Pandora, and even Zune.
Posted Image

#5 NergiZed

• 2992 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:49

I'll try some of those music ones out.

Netflix is more of a rental service rather than an ownership one. You can spend thousands of dollars for netflix but ultimately in the end you own nothing. That entire concept bothers me, I'd rather own it like I do with steam or with the many many digital music services on the net rather than rent.

#6 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:25

Scope, on 4 Mar 2011, 10:24, said:

Movies? What about Netflix? It's supposed to be popular in the US.

For music, there is Last.fm, RDio, Slacker, Pandora, and even Zune.
All of those music sites are streaming. I'm pretty sure he wants vendors rather than streamers.

Posted Image

#7 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 04 March 2011 - 15:01

Zune has a music store IIRC, but since they're M$ owned I'm pretty sure if they have, they will also put DRM on their music...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#8 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 06 March 2011 - 18:53

I've not tried it and it may well be UK only but Film 4 On Demand seems to be selling films digitally.

http://film4od.film4.com/
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users