[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 14:44

HHHHHHYes!

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War III confirmed

By Tom Magrino, GameSpot
Posted Aug 18, 2010 9:43 pm GMT

THQ core boss Danny Bilson says true follow-up to Relic's 2009 sci-fi RTS will arrive 18 to 24 months after game's second expansion; Retribution coming in February.

As part of Gamescom 2010 yesterday, THQ took the lid off of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution, the second full expansion to Relic's well-regarded sci-fi real-time strategy series. It now appears as if it will also be the last, as THQ core games vice president Danny Bilson told Eurogamer today that once Relic ships Retribution in February, the team will transition into working on Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III.

Dawn of War III is just over Retribution's horizon.

"Retribution's going to ship in February, and then we start laying out Dawn of War III," Bilson said. "You can probably expect it between 18 months and two years after that." Following Bilson's timeline, Dawn of War III's release date would fall into the August 2012 to February 2013 window.

What's more, THQ may consider adopting the same business model it is using for Relic's Company of Heroes Online with Dawn of War III. Having successfully launched a free-to-play, microtransaction-supported version of Company of Heroes in Asia in 2007, THQ said in June that it would be bringing the same free-to-play game to Western audiences this fall.

"It may be a more digital free-to-play experience with all the depth and quality of a Relic RTS," Bilson stated, before going on to note that Dawn of War III's free-to-play status hinges upon the success of Company of Heroes Online.

"It all depends on how COHO does, and how it works and how people respond to it," he continued. "If they do, that would definitely drive us to…Now Dawn of War III, either way, is going to have a much larger strategic component to it, more of a global battle going on with little tactical things, sort of MMO-like…We haven't announced anything about it, and it's still in its early formative stage, but I'm just talking to you about the brainstorming going on around it."

For more on the series, check out GameSpot's review of Dawn of War II's first expansion, Chaos Rising.

WWWWAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH

#2 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 14:59

Now lets forget all about this thing and turn to subject 18 months later, because we CAN'T WAIT !

#3 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 10 March 2011 - 15:02

will there be Tau 'n Crons?

#4 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 15:05

Technically, this is rather old news, but it's the first article about it. There is an old quote floating about which is rather WIN!

Relic: One of the things we kept finding when making Retribution was that everything felt just too cramped and claustrophobic for what we were trying to do. So for DoW III we considering making a brand new game engine. Luckily we realised that we already had an engine that was near perfect for what we were tying to do already in the form of the [Company of Heroes Online] engine we basically had just lying around since it's cancellation from on high.

GS: So what should we expect from the new game?

Relic: For a start we've shifted the emphasis back to the multiplayer elements, unlike in DoW2 where the emphasis was very much on the singleplayer campaign. One of the things that people have always impressed upon us, is just how much they enjoy the army painter function included in Dawn of War, as it allowed them to create they're favourite chapters, craftworlds and klans. So we've decided to take this a step further and allow players to create truly individual factions of their race. Using a simple set of buttons and tools, players can easily create a Space Marine chapter that say, wears tabards, lacks librarians and devestators and is assault oriented... sound familiar? As well as this will be the option of giving their new sub-faction a customised unit type created from a balanced set of pluses and minuses. Such as the Blood Angels and their Sanguinary Guard, or the Ultramarines and their Tyrannic War veterans. Of course since multiplayer is the key emphasis balance is important. This time we have enforced a rigurous mathematical formula approach to the cost of buildings and units in DoW3 and it's hoped that no matter what the players come up with, it will still be balanced alongside their opponent. Of course, being the developers, we've already had our fun creating Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Dark Angels from these tools, so look forward to those.

Sadly I can't identify the exact sauce of this, but if it is the case then it will be back to the good ole days of DC with a brand spanking new engine!! 8|

#5 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 15:32

Wait a minute Wiz, you got that from /tg/ didn't you?

Didn't know you where a fa/tg/uy.

Anyway, to stay on topic, this looks absolutely awesome (although I do love my Singleplayer), can't wait to play Bad Moons (the orkz that specialize in shootyness) and Thousand Sons.

Edited by SquigPie, 10 March 2011 - 15:35.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#6 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 15:58

Actually Squig, this came from WW and Metal Box 8|

#7 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:04

View Postn5p29, on 10 Mar 2011, 17:02, said:

If they change the game engine like they did with DOW2 and come up with something completely new, I bet they will start with 4 races again, and will introduce other races in the expansions, marketing issues 8|

#8 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:40

View Postn5p29, on 10 Mar 2011, 15:02, said:

Needs more Grey Knights :D

#9 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:47

View PostWizard, on 10 Mar 2011, 18:40, said:

Needs more Grey Knights 8|

This and ''real chaos '' voices :D

#10 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 17:00

Oh this sounds promising. But I really want a solid campaign.

#11 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 17:08

Oh come on. Give us Homeworld 3 already >.<

#12 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 18:10

View PostWizard, on 10 Mar 2011, 17:40, said:

View Postn5p29, on 10 Mar 2011, 15:02, said:

Needs more Jokaero :D

phix'd.

Not sure if you'll get it.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#13 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 19:12

View PostWizard, on 10 Mar 2011, 15:05, said:

Technically, this is rather old news, but it's the first article about it. There is an old quote floating about which is rather WIN!

Relic: One of the things we kept finding when making Retribution was that everything felt just too cramped and claustrophobic for what we were trying to do. So for DoW III we considering making a brand new game engine. Luckily we realised that we already had an engine that was near perfect for what we were tying to do already in the form of the [Company of Heroes Online] engine we basically had just lying around since it's cancellation from on high.

GS: So what should we expect from the new game?

Relic: For a start we've shifted the emphasis back to the multiplayer elements, unlike in DoW2 where the emphasis was very much on the singleplayer campaign. One of the things that people have always impressed upon us, is just how much they enjoy the army painter function included in Dawn of War, as it allowed them to create they're favourite chapters, craftworlds and klans. So we've decided to take this a step further and allow players to create truly individual factions of their race. Using a simple set of buttons and tools, players can easily create a Space Marine chapter that say, wears tabards, lacks librarians and devestators and is assault oriented... sound familiar? As well as this will be the option of giving their new sub-faction a customised unit type created from a balanced set of pluses and minuses. Such as the Blood Angels and their Sanguinary Guard, or the Ultramarines and their Tyrannic War veterans. Of course since multiplayer is the key emphasis balance is important. This time we have enforced a rigurous mathematical formula approach to the cost of buildings and units in DoW3 and it's hoped that no matter what the players come up with, it will still be balanced alongside their opponent. Of course, being the developers, we've already had our fun creating Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Dark Angels from these tools, so look forward to those.

Sadly I can't identify the exact sauce of this, but if it is the case then it will be back to the good ole days of DC with a brand spanking new engine!! :D

Found the sauce, which like I said isn't new.

#14 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 20:17

Very much hoping this returns to giving base building equal standing to unit building.

Posted Image

#15 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 22:35

^ Possibly, but don't get into the habit of holding your breath. I hear it tends to turn one's visage purple.......then an uncomfortable, pasty white.
Posted Image

#16 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:12

If not, then I'll just ignore it like I did to DoW2.

Unless there's Necrons in again, in which I would probably buy it regardless.

Posted Image

#17 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:29

Out of interest, did you even try DoWII, Chaos Rising or Retribution, even in beta format? A lot of people run the game down because of a lack of base building and I realise that other games in the genre have failed massively without it, but DoWII is not other games. No base building =/= crap RTS. It's different, yes; it isn't DoWI, yes; but that does not make it a bad game. I realise they've missed out on 'Crons so that might put you off, but there are several people just on FS that shunned it without even trying it. Check my Steam stats, I don't play that many hours of completely shit games. :D

#18 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:32

Of course I've tried it, and I decided it wasn't my thing.
Considering I was playing DoW since it was released through to long after Dark Crusade it put me off quite a bit to not have base building.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, it just doesn't feel like a strategy game should, to me.

Posted Image

#19 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 11 March 2011 - 17:18

DoWII is more of a Real Time Tactics game in my opinion.

Edited by Soul, 11 March 2011 - 17:18.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#20 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 19:09

View PostWizard, on 11 Mar 2011, 11:29, said:

Out of interest, did you even try DoWII, Chaos Rising or Retribution, even in beta format? A lot of people run the game down because of a lack of base building and I realise that other games in the genre have failed massively without it, but DoWII is not other games. No base building =/= crap RTS. It's different, yes; it isn't DoWI, yes; but that does not make it a bad game. I realise they've missed out on 'Crons so that might put you off, but there are several people just on FS that shunned it without even trying it. Check my Steam stats, I don't play that many hours of completely shit games. <87

View PostAlias, on 11 Mar 2011, 11:32, said:

Of course I've tried it, and I decided it wasn't my thing.
Considering I was playing DoW since it was released through to long after Dark Crusade it put me off quite a bit to not have base building.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, it just doesn't feel like a strategy game should, to me.

Like the difference in GTA SA and GTA IV 8|

as for the DOW III, I miss the old type gameplay with base building, would be cool to watch building in new graphic engines, but I can do without it and from what I see so far, a lot of people happy with what THQ did with DOW II and I am sure new game will follow the footsteps of DOW II, but it would be better if they do something revolutionary, it will be good to try something new about DOW :D

#21 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:57

I think they tool the first steps towards larger armies yet keeping the hero system alive in Retribution. It strikes a good balance between keeping the large armies and maintaining your heroes.

#22 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:38

Eurogamer suggests DoW III may be revealed in August :)

THQ has teased a new direction for upcoming real-time strategy game Dawn of War III.

Developer Relic is taking elements from the first game and the second game and adding something new, THQ core games boss Danny Bilson told Eurogamer.

"We're working on the next-generation of that franchise right now," Bilson said.

"I feel like an ass saying it's fantastic, but it is. And we're going to do something with it you haven't seen before.

"Preserving some things that have always been great about the first two generations of it, going back to 1 on some things, 2 on some things, and 3 will bring us some new things.

"When you see it you're going to go, whoa. I promise."

Last year Eurogamer broke the news that Relic was in the brainstorming stage of Dawn of War III.

Bilson suggested the Warhammer 40K RTS would launch between 18 months and two years after Dawn of War II - Retribution, pegging DOWIII for the August 2012 to February 2013 window.

He also said the game may "be a more digital free-to-play experience with all the depth and quality of a Relic RTS" - depending on the performance of Company of Heroes Online.

Given that game didn't work out, will Dawn of War III take a more traditional approach?

"Now Dawn of War III, either way, is going to have a much larger strategic component to it, more of a global battle going on with little tactical things, sort of MMO-like," Bilson continued.

Yesterday Bilson teased the reveal of an unannounced game at Gamescom in Germany in August. Could Dawn of War III be it?

"I can say that crowd, those hundreds of thousands of people, in that space at that time, this one's built to announce at that place. I'll say that. That's my clue."

Knowledge is Power, guard it well.

#23 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:06

I am curious about what can be that new and awesome thing they will add to the game :)

#24 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:09

Hmm, interesting.

When in August is Gamescom?

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#25 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:23

I hope it has base building :)

Looking forward to more info.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image